Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was again looking at another QA today. This one was interesting. It was an AC 9mm, German proof marks, German rear sight and no importer marking's NIB. I've never seen one w/out import markings before. Is this a normal occurrence or a rare piece? How could this happen?

On another note I decided against the QA. I compared the trigger pull, take up and reset to both Glock and the Springfield XD triggers. I think the Glock and even Springfield's QA like trigger feel much nicer. I'll stick with my DA/SA setup.

Remember this is just MHO, your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
124 Posts
-As you said, your mileage may vary, but my experience with the QA is that it's trigger doesn't come into its own until after 500+ rounds have been cycled through it. I was slow to switch from my Glock to the P99 QA because I found the trigger to be gritty (not as smooth as the Glock), initially. -I totally understand not wanting to get a gun that works the way you want it to out of the box.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, I just had to dry fire it about 50 times in the store to realize I prefer the SA/DA overall. It does have a short trigger, comparable to my HK .40C in SA mode, just a tad bit heavier.

I wasn't even considering the "gritty" feel, wasn't even a factor in my decision. I know what you mean about breaking the trigger parts in with at least 500 rounds. My P99's took some time to smooth out. I was mostly comparing take up, trigger break and reset.

Breaker, whatcha think about the no import markings on the slide and German/Europe rear sight? Kinda wierd I thought.

·
Registered
229 Posts
CKW -

Just out of curiosity, what was the price on that P99?

I have several Glocks, two P99s both with DA/SA triggers and two Springfield Armory XDs. I like the XDs a lot, but I do wish the trigger reset was shorter.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it was $599.00. Really nice looking too, although the "Walther P99 QA" was laser etched but I think all of the QA's are anyhow.

·
Registered
124 Posts
CKW,

I have no inside knowledge about the lack of an import / distributor mark. It may have just been missed in the production process. The machine hiccups and as a certain TV chef would say, "Bam!" -You have a pistol without the mark. If Quality Control caught it, they probably let it slide (so to speak) because it would be not be worth it or even impossible to have it laser etched after receiving the tennifer treatment.

The sights don't surprise me. I have seen several 9mm QA's that came with the European rear sight from the factory. A friend of mine owns one.

·
Registered
229 Posts
FWIW, most of the brand new all German Walther P99s that I see for sale in my area are in the $469 - $489 price range.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Catbird, are those online prices or local gunstore prices? Maybe it's just the price one pays (amongst other things) to live in the P.R. of Kalifornia.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Earl's Repair Service imported P99's didn't have markings and had the euro sights - according to FAQ .
Vic

·
Registered
229 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CKW @ Feb. 17 2003,10:41)]Catbird, are those online prices or local gunstore prices?  Maybe it's just the price one pays (amongst other things) to live in the P.R. of Kalifornia.  
IIRC, there was a major price drop ($120 - $140) about a year or so ago.  This was down from approx. $600 plus.  I bought my first P99, a NIB, 9mm, all-German, military version w/ traditional DA/SA trigger online from a dealer in Texas for $489 plus $20 shipping.  My second one which was NIB, .40 Auto,  all-German, black on black, DA/SA trigger, was purchased at a local gunshow for $469 plus 4.5% Virginia tax.  As far as I can see, the prices have remained in the $469 - $489 range, here.

FWIW, a potential buyer must do his/her homework; there are many gun stores here that would be more than happy to charge you as much as they could get away with.  Let the buyer beware.

·
Registered
382 Posts
locally i have seen the standard P99 selling for about $550 or less. maybe a lil more for the military version. Why is it more than the black framed one? is green plastic more expensive than black?
Of course, back when i bought my first p99, when they where only offered in 9mm, it was around the $600 range i beleive...........my new one is the one from Earls......the so called "euro" one........but they are more expensive because of the mags...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts