Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Got a follow up email from GB a short time ago, all caps, "DO NOT SEND PAYMENT ON THIS GB ITEM".

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Hahaha

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good luck with law enforcement. A member here was scammed on a P5 several years ago by a woman in western NC. Local law enforcement knew she was a scammer, with a long history, but did absolutely nothing. Referrals to the state AG and the AG in the buyer’s home state (VA?) were met with shrugs. Referral to the ATF likewise led to no action, nor serious response. Eventually, he gave up. To me, the stunner was that none of these LEO were interested in providing even a cursory attempt to recover his money, let alone prosecute. True story...

I saw an online link with that a few years ago, it's really sad.

I'm glad I held off for a serial# pic on a current newspaper. That was the only thing that kept my from sending the MO.

This scammer should be easy to identify, he had the "check mark in star" next to his name. This shows he tied a bank account to GB, and paid a few dollars from that account for that "check & star" next to his username.

Reactions: 2BNKS

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Welp, glad that you didn’t get scammed, but I will be surprised if you hear anything else about this. I would like to think that local LEOs, State Police, and/or ATF would be all over firearm-related fraud.

One thing that I have learned, if a deal seems too good to be true... ;)

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
........One thing that I have learned, if a deal seems too good to be true... ;)

"Tis the season" (early Dec thru late Jan) for "motivated" sellers looking to move expensive items QUICKLY due to seasonal costs/overspending.

Makes some of the "deal seems too good to be true" real deals. Unfortunately, it's like walking a tightrope.

I grabbed my "KB" HK P7M13 on Dec 20, was listed with a "make offer" option. Was surprised my offer was accepted, and amazed when 2 other M13s sold in the next 48 hrs for final bids ~ 1k over my purchase price.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Yep, that one looks shady. Care to bet that somebody bites?

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I have found photos of my firearms on the internet that weren't posted by me and have decided to mark all published photos of my guns that could be used for a sale, using GIMP freeware. Especially if I post several photos and close-ups of a gun.

We should make it a little harder for the crooks out there:D. In my case, it is a lot of work to edit a couple of hundred photos.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I sent a fraud alert to GB last night (after a Ser# pic request with current newspaper or calendar sent to seller). All the items are "NOT FOUND" when searched on GB this AM. He got shut down.

Both the hard nickel NIB HK P7M13 and NIB FN SCAR 20 were underpriced by ~$2k each.

These last 2 GB scammers had the "check mark in seal" next to their username. It's my understanding these "check/seal" marked GB accounts/members have paid a GB membership fee from a bank account VERIFIED by GB.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
DUA,

with your Walther P5 collection, it is just a matter of time until your photos will be used by fraudsters. BAC had his guns used on some local sales sites and his famous carpet was the best give away.

GIMP is free and fairly easy to use, it is a downloaded app that allows you to edit photos and save them to your device.

Gunbroker has no interest in working a little more or harder, as long as business is good. I guess they would happily peddle condoms in the Vatican, if the profit margins were more promising.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'll look into the GIMP download for pic security. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I received an update on the Gun Broker scammer (POS going by the name John Pass) who tried to sell me a NIB, 99% factory nickel Heckler & Koch P7M13 full package. He was actually STUPID enough to re-list the item a few days later (with different pics and under a new username) after I "red flagged" his ass with a "scam alert" to Gun Broker.

Seems he was wanted for several scam sales on Guns America too.

Well, when questioned, he claimed his PC was "hacked". I doubt the judges (Illinois State and Federal) will believe that BS.

Chalk one up for the good guys!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Who questioned him, and how did you learn of his claimed PC hack?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Who questioned him, and how did you learn of his claimed PC hack?

Without too much detail, a WF member has a close connection with the LE Agency that has headed up the investigation/apprehension/questioning of the suspect.

I've gotten a few updates since reporting the scam attempt, the latest was this weekend.

Actually co-ordinated and worked in tandem with this member the 2nd time the scammer popped up on GB.

Reactions: GeoNole94

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Good to hear, I fully expected a collective LEO shrug.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
DUA, you did good. I respect you for seeing this through.

Whoever the forum member is who is helping you with this, I take my hat off to them as well.

A person running scams like this will continue to do so until made to stop.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
DUA, you did good. I respect you for seeing this through.

Whoever the forum member is who is helping you with this, I take my hat off to them as well.

A person running scams like this will continue to do so until made to stop.

Thanks. It was just by chance I was able to help, right place, right time, EARLY identification of scammer (with several items F/S on GB). I provided all info/details/seller emails, GB provided seller details, IP address and bank (PayPay?) account details.

It worked because every link in the chain did its job.

It would have felt better to stomp a mud-hole up the scammers butt, but this is as close as I could get.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Purchased a NIB factory Nickel finish Heckler & Koch P7M13 yesterday AM.....

ttps://www.gunbroker.com/item/795749090

.......received an email from the seller (Gbrokerarms, based in Litchfield, IL) minutes after purchase, asking if I was "still interested" in buying. This is odd to say the least, so due to a "No Rating" on seller (new on GB), I requested a pic of firearm w/serial # visible, on a current newspaper. No response from seller, item relisted, and resold.

Left an F feedback this AM. Total D'bag.

EDIT; Looked up the "street view" of the address this seller has provided to GB, a foundation for a tiny home that has been torn down.

The above quote was from 1-'19.

GB scammer is back, using the same group of new firearms for sale, even the same pics. New location, Stanford, CT.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/864969691

A spotless HK P7M13 nickel finished, pay $2050 thru Zelle (whatever that is) and this spotless ~$7k value handgun is yours.

EDIT; GB just pulled all his listings.

Reactions: GeoNole94
21 - 40 of 43 Posts