Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

here is an engraved Walther Model 9 with a personal inscription.

This gun was given from Paul Scheidig and his wife to Dr. Georg Kegel in Leipzig.

Paul Scheidig was an executive employee at the Walther Company in Zella Mehlis from ca. 1928 to 1945.
I found him for example in old dirctories from 1928 and 1938 and
his youngest daughter is still alive and I spoke with her on the phone.

The reason of the donation was the birth from the first dauhter from Paul Scheidig,
Anne-Marie at the 09.11.1929

Dr. Georg Kegel from Leipzig was the Doktor and Obstetrician from Paul and his Wife.

His Doctoral thesis as an Surgeon and Obstetrician was from 1925 and can still be found on the Internet today.

I find it very interesting, that you can still trace the history of the gun.

So I show pictures from the gun and the old documents and hope you like it too.

Best regards
Peter

Attachments

Premium Member
That's a fantastic Model 9 with a great story. I love how the bottom of the magazine is engraved.

Registered
Thank you for sharing!

Neat little pistol and it's awesome that the history behind it has been documented and preserved!

Registered
Peter,
It is a delight to see such a splendid Deluxe Walther Model 9 with the story to go with it. I have bee a serious collector and researcher of Walther Model 8 and Model 9 pistols for many years, and I do not recall seeing such a remarkable example of a presentation, engraved Model 9. A very unique pistol.
I do have a question about the finish. The pictures are quite crisp in details, but I am unsure if the finish on the pistol is a well worn gold-wash or a dull nickel. Can you please confirm what the finish is?

Thank you so much for sharing this lovely, historic Model 9.

Earl

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all again.

@ Earl, I see you like the same guns as me, but I am a beginner in collecting engraved Walther models.
The finish is dull nickel, I have one more picture made in the sun, hope the finish is better to see.

(Fortunately I found another engraved Model 9 with rests of the gold finish in its original box,
I can show it too, if it is of interest)

Best regards Peter

Attachments

Premium Member
Lucky it didn't go home in the pocket of an invading soldier.
I think you mean the pocket of a soldier who watched his buddies die day after day as they liberated Europe from the Nazi's. Dr. Kegel was probably just a regular guy who didn't have anything to do with the crimes commited by his countrymen but I don't have much sympathy for the German people after about 1933.

Registered
Yes, but many guns were taken from homes as well. Or traded on the black market, especially in the winter of 1946 when many were starving.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Guys,

please stop this discussion directly.

This gun is given from a patient to his doctor 1929/30 and I showed it for collectors interested in history and not for nazi discussion.

Thank you in advance

Peter

Registered
Peter08, yes agree completely, only meant that we're lucky this gem was lost not in the chaos of history. I did not intend to trigger such a discussion as you note.

Registered
Peter,
Thank you for the clarification on the finish of your engraved Model 9 pistol.
I, too have a Deluxe engraved Walther Model 9 with silver finish. Mine does not have any presentation inscriptions. All of the engraved Walther pistols are slightly different as they were engraved one at a time by a small number of highly skilled craftsmen located in Thuringia, where the Walther Zella-Mehlis factory was located. Earl
3 M9 nickel engraved left.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Earl, what a beauty, thank you for showing.
It's always a pleasure to see these engraved Model 9 and see the little differences in engraving.
Each gun a work of art in itself and unique.

Here are pictures from my golden one, "Living in a box" :)

Best regards
Peter

Attachments

Registered
Let me second Earl's comments and those of others regarding your beautiful Model 9 and case, as well as the research you have accomplished and provided. As I have accomplished the same on other engraved presentation Walthers in my collection, I can appreciate your efforts and the satisfaction you received from bringing to life your treasure. And thank you for sharing images of the second example. Your cup truly does runneth over.

I am not familiar with the Walther factory presentation cases for their smaller Model 8 and 9 pistols. Earl, is this a factory presentation case even without the Walther trademark on the interior of the lid?

Peter, here is my example of a nice factory commissioned engraved Model 9. Unfortunately, like Earl's, mine has no presentation inscription.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Joe, thank you very much for your post and the picture.
Your Model 9 has more rest from gold than my one, very fine.

I don't know the details from the presentation case, but I think it has the same age as the gun,
and it was sold to me as an original one.

Here are some more pictures from mine, to see the rest of the engraving.

For me unimaginable how much work it was, engraving such a small gun.

Best regards Peter

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts