Walther Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off thanks for letting me join. Second, I will say that I've never owned a Walther before, even though I owned a total of 23 semi-auto pistols over the last 18 months (Glocks, Sigs, H&Ks, S&W M&Ps, Springfield XDs, Para-Ord, CZ, Rugers, etc.). I'm a big fan of the Polymer based pistols, so I decided to give the Walther P99 a chance (in .40 S&W). Can anyone give me some pros and cons on the P99 compared to other polymer based pistols on the market today. Currently the only pistol I own is a Glock 29 (10mm). Any input would be deeeply appreciated.

Take Care and God Bless!

Ronin:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in the same boat so I hope there are some good replies. Although I admit I haven't been as active as you in purchasing. I've owned almost all of the big ones out there with the exception of the M&Ps and CZs.

I am leaning towards the P99 QA in 9mm. I tried the AS but I thought the length of pull was much too long for me. I may try it again as the AS seems to win out when forum members are polled.

First off thanks for letting me join. Second, I will say that I've never owned a Walther before, even though I owned a total of 23 semi-auto pistols over the last 18 months (Glocks, Sigs, H&Ks, S&W M&Ps, Springfield XDs, Para-Ord, CZ, Rugers, etc.). I'm a big fan of the Polymer based pistols, so I decided to give the Walther P99 a chance (in .40 S&W). Can anyone give me some pros and cons on the P99 compared to other polymer based pistols on the market today. Currently the only pistol I own is a Glock 29 (10mm). Any input would be deeeply appreciated.

Take Care and God Bless!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I just purchased my first Walther on Friday and it was the P99 AS in 9mm. I haven't shot this beauty yet, but I have field stripped and cleaned. Based upon my cleaning, I can say that the fit and finish is very reminiscent of the old Sig stamped steel pistols in both fit and finish. The only manufacturer still manufacturing to this level is HK, in my opinion.

I own several pistols, which includes Glock, Sig, S&W, Kahr, and now Walther and the pistol feels as good as any of the aforementioned makes. I will be able to provide a range report tomorrow (Monday). I plan on putting 200-rounds of WWB down range along with some Federal HydraShoks to give her a test drive.

·
Registered
361 Posts

Take Care and God Bless!

What Part of KY are you in? I also live in KY and I have a P99 .40 in the AS trigger.

I am not a big fan of the M&Ps as I have shot them on a couple of occasions and it just didn't fit my hands the way I would like and I didn't like the trigger feel. If you like the glock style trigger, the QA version of the P99 might be you choice. I personally prefer the action of DA/SA like a traditional hammer fired gun so the AS is the perfect choice in this gun. I feel a little safer being able to carry the gun decocked and if the situation calls for just having to pull the gun and pull the trigger. If you have a QA, and you decock it, you have to pull the slide back about a 1/2 inch before you fire and it will cock the stricker for you.

Just do some research on these forums and you should find more than enough information. If you are trying to decide on which trigger style, I would suggest handling the gun and dry firing a couple of times to see which one you prefer. There are also a plethora of threads on this and it has been discussed in detail on the pros and cons of each trigger style.

In KY, good luck trying to find one. They are not carried by many shops and it might be difficult to locate. If you need help finding one, just let me know as I may be able to help.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I am leaning towards the P99 QA in 9mm. I tried the AS but I thought the length of pull was much too long for me. I may try it again as the AS seems to win out when forum members are polled.
Are you looking for the older or newer style QA?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the P99 AS, and I love mine. It is comfortable for me because I have small hands. :D

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Walther was producing the AS trigger (DA/SA trigger) in the striker fired gun long before the XD came about. The single action trigger is great and has a very short reset.

Walther pioneered the interchangable backstrap concept.

The P99 feels excellent in the hand, compared the chuncky grip of the HK's and the canted grip angle of the Glocks. The barrel seems to ride lower than a XD but not as low as a Steyr M9/M40.

My P99 is my favorite handgun, that is why I own three. If you get one, get a second generation (2004 and later) frame with a S&W rail.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm in the same boat so I hope there are some good replies. Although I admit I haven't been as active as you in purchasing. I've owned almost all of the big ones out there with the exception of the M&Ps and CZs.

Well, ysterday I went to my local gun shop and ordered the P99 QA in 9mm (only full size they had in stock). Suppose to be here Friday. If I like it, I may order the P99c in the 40 S&W. Can anyone tell what type of finish is used on the steel slide and barrel. I had heard they use the same tennifer finish that Glock and Steyr uses.

Take Care and Happy New Year!:)

Ronin

·
Registered
16 Posts

Well, ysterday I went to my local gun shop and ordered the P99 QA in 9mm (only full size they had in stock). Suppose to be here Friday. If I like it, I may order the P99c in the 40 S&W. Can anyone tell what type of finish is used on the steel slide and barrel. I had heard they use the same tennifer finish that Glock and Steyr uses.

Ronin
I'm soooo tempted to try a QA, as I love the newer breed of light DAO guns, like Sig's DAK and HK's LEM. Unfortunately I've seen too much negative feedback on this forum, the AS clearly is more popular in these parts...

That's OK. I already have a P99 AS 9mm, and will be picking up a P99c AS
9mm this week. I really don't think you will be disappointed, I've recently become a hardcore P99 convert, despite owning lots of guns that cost a lot more.

PLEASE post a review of your QA when you get it. I'm still yearning for a QA P99c :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Oh, and it's my understanding that Walther does use the same Tennifer metal treatment as Glock. Which, ASAIK, is not the black finish itself, but a treatment impregnated into the metal which provides corrosion protection.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used to own a SW990L. It had the "lightning trigger" which I think is the same as the QA trigger on Walthers. I tried for over a year to become comfortable with it but never could. I was convinced that it was just a lousy trigger. One day I decided to go to the gunshop and try the triggers from all the big makers, focusing on comparing them. What I realized after trying several of the striker-fired models was that the lightning trigger on my S&W was no worse than the Glock or XD or M&P, and maybe even a little better. Of course I was comparing my broken in trigger to the NIB models at the store, and this is completely an opinion, yours may differ. I just realized that I preferred DA/SA, so I sold it and bought a P99 AS instead.

If you like P99's and you like Glock style triggers, I say go for it! I haven't read anything to suggest they are any less reliable than their AS counterparts, and you still get the functional setup of the Walther, with the same mag release, sights, grip, etc.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Good luck with you QA. People here seem to either love them or prefer the AS trigger. I would be willing to bet there are more AS triggers on this site by a large margin. It is hard to find the AS trigger sometimes. I had trouble and was looking for about 1.5 months for the 40 AS and a decent price. There is a 40 AS here in my hometown in KY for $450 brand new but it is an '02 model with the shorter mag release. I was talked out of it by the forum members when I got an '07 for $485.

Make sure you check out the sticky sections at the top of this forum ... the post there is "How to make the QA trigger unsuck..." You may or may not feel the need to tinker.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yep, I think Walther uses a very similar process regarding metal treatment that Glock uses (which is considered among the very best out there). Tennifer/Melonite is a metal treatment (not the outside finish) that produces a very rust resistant, tough and strong surface. It is 100% state of the art.

I am leaning towards the QA simply because if felt the most like my XD and Glocks. The AS felt ok, but the trigger pull was too long for my preference. Although, I really need to find someone in my area that has one so I could try it first. At least at the gun shop, the QA felt way better to me.

Ronin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Go for the AS trigger system. The P99's are not really "target pistols" and the advantage of the AS is that you have a DA harder trigger pull for the first shot and very short and easy follow-up pulls for your follow up shots. The decocker is a great safety feature to help drop the trigger back into DA mode when holstered, etc. (Once you pull the slide back to load the chamber you put the gun into SA mode. Decocking it gives you a safety DA mode).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Getting P99c AS

I recently picked up a P22 and really enjoy it. I know there had been problems in the past when this fire arm frist came out however while reading the forum I learned about the best ammuntion to use, so it has given me no problems.
I went on to purchase a Beretta 92FS Inox, great full size sidearm!!!! But, to big for a CCW for me. So naturally I turned back to what I like...Walthers, I have on order the P99c which should be here on Saturday. On my way home from work the other night i stoped by the shop and there is an old P38, im thinking that will make the collection soon too. But anyway, for what its worth even with the dramatic cost increase i feel the P99 is one of the best fire arms on the market. Good luck with yours, once you get one you will need to get others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know -- I love the idea of the AS (very innovative). I just wished it would've felt better during the dry fire session. What I really need to do is rent one, however, that is easier said than done. Where I live, hardly anybody owns them and the lone range only has a few 1911s and Glocks for rent (plus a couple of revolvers). I'm always surprised at this because they aren't much more than Glock/XD -- and they are critically acclaimed as well. I can hardly find fault with them which is why I need to buy one!

Go for the AS trigger system. The P99's are not really "target pistols" and the advantage of the AS is that you have a DA harder trigger pull for the first shot and very short and easy follow-up pulls for your follow up shots. The decocker is a great safety feature to help drop the trigger back into DA mode when holstered, etc. (Once you pull the slide back to load the chamber you put the gun into SA mode. Decocking it gives you a safety DA mode).

·
Registered
536 Posts
I know -- I love the idea of the AS (very innovative). I just wished it would've felt better during the dry fire session. What I really need to do is rent one, however, that is easier said than done. Where I live, hardly anybody owns them
Where do you live? Never know; might be a forum member close by.

thorn

1 - 19 of 19 Posts