Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I currently own a P99 and am very interested in getting its sibling, the P22. The P99 has a carbon steel slide. I heard that the P22's slide is not quite as sturdy. Is it true?

Would you rather get a P99 Compact or a P22?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe the P22's slide is cast, and plus it has to be lighter in weight so it would be less sturdy. But you're not firing centerfire stuff in it, it can be less sturdy. I think there have been a couple of cases of slides cracking around the ejection port from people firing lots of hyper-velocity ammunition, which will wear out any gun sooner.

The P22 is a great trail gun too, very small and light when compared to some other .22's.

If I already had a P99 and wasn't looking for a carry gun, I'd choose the P22.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the prompt reply. I actually would like to get a 3.4" P22 with the Nickel slide to complement my P99 Titanium...

What kind of ammo do you recommend with the P22? From what I've read, CCI Mini Mags work great with that gun.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I used MiniMags for the first 500 rounds or so, it'll feed remington Golden Bullets now which are pretty cheap.

On rimfirecentral.com, there are some members that fire standard velocity target without problems, just depends on the gun.

-stunks

P.S. stay away from "hyper-velocity" stuff and you'll be fine. I believe Walther even recommends high velocity, like MiniMags

·
Registered
11 Posts
I usually use minimags, I used stingers and velocitors to break in the gun. Stingers are in it when I'm in the woods. Remington-Peters high velocity lead .22's work well too, but they leave a lot of lead in the barrel. Federal high velocity doesn't work at all in mine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
CCI Blazers work well in mine. Stay away from Thunderbolts. They'll coat your barrel with lead. I didn't have very good luck with the Winchester Xpert 22 hollow points either. They failed to feed on a regular basis. The P22 is a great gun. I actually went the other way, bought the P22 at a gun show, and then got the P99 because I loved it so much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[b said:
Quote[/b] (LJWebster1 @ Jan. 03 2006,13:52)]I actually went the other way, bought the P22 at a gun show, and then got the P99 because I loved it so much.
You can't go wrong with a P22/P99 combo...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts