Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but was unable to find any details associated with the interchangeability of a post war P1 barrel on a WW2 P38.

Some references to post war P1 barrels only fitting slides with round firing pins, some barrels fit other do not, P1 barrel are lined, etc.

I am interested in the differences between the 2 types of barrels, the reasons for any changes, how to fit up a P1 barrel to a P38, etc.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hoover

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
MGMike, I suspect that for those persons what they are asking does not seem to them to be a common question.

Lots of collectors, and not just of firearms, are out there on their own, searching. I see it with antique cars all the time.

:)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Need to index better or load most valuable comments in a read only folder at the top for "Most Asked Questions & Answers - Look Here First" ...in your spare time.

·
Registered
244 Posts
This might be a good topic to include in a FAQ sticky. I had the same question (one of the posts cited is mine).

I bought the parts but haven't tried it yet. Bought a postwar P38 for plinking instead...much simpler.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Need to index better or load most valuable comments in a read only folder at the top for "Most Asked Questions & Answers - Look Here First" ...in your spare time.
We'll set you to task for this one; just holler when. :)

Actually, the entire FAQ section does exactly this; that's why it was created.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Last time I made a helpful suggestion in my condo association,
I wound up being on the board of directors...
;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Making "helpful suggestions" (which mainly appear helpful to the person making them) is about equal to volunteering for something in the Army
:D
More like volunteering someone ELSE for something in the army! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Don't know if works in all cases, but I had absolutely no trouble, and no fitting, to place a WWII barrel (solid steel, needed for the threading/suppressor use) in my P1. My P1 might actually be a P4, as it came with a P4 barrel, but didn't have the P4 hammer, and the frame seems to be just a standard P1 (the slide and barrel have the same number, but different than the frame). Installing the WWII barrel was part of my U.N.C.L.E gun project. I tried several years ago to use a P1 barrel for the threading, and it separated at the lining after threading. I believe that Walther standardized the dimensions of the P38/ P1 barrels and they are fully interchangeable.e.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts