Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an Interarms ranger PPK mfg 5/94. Went shooting today. The gun fires fine but when it fires the last round, the slide does not stop and remain open. It just closes with a cocked hammer. As I am new to a PPK, is this proper? Is there no slide stop on the last fired round to keep the slide open? I have a 2015 PPK manual and that appears to state that there is a slide stop and if I read it correctly, the slide should remain open with an empty magazine as there is no slide stop mechanism to manually keep the slide open.

Also if anyone should have an electronic version of an Interarms Ranger PPK manual and can attached it, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Your pistol should have an ejector/slide hold open part just like any other PP pistol. I don't remember much difference in the part or the spring that holds it down but the mags differ in how they engage it. .22 vs .32 etc regardless of manufacture.

It is the responsibility of the follower in an unloaded magazine to engage the ejector and force it up quickly in front of the breech face where it will catch the slide and hold it open. I would place an empty magazine in an empty pistol, pull the slide rearward and see what the rear end of the ejector/stop is doing. You also need to inspect your magazines to make sure they are clean on the inside and that the follower is not damaged or worn. I'll put up a couple of pictures. But remember, hand cycling cannot approximate the speed in which parts need to move when firing. 1917

The part (ejector/slide hold open arm), properly fitted.

In this photo the rear end of the ejector has been forced upward by the follower. You magazine might press it higher which is fine but it should not be any lower on the breech face than pictured.

Here is a photo, slide off, showing the left, front edge of the follower engaging the ejector causing the rear to be lifted where it would catch the slide. So, make sure the part is installed properly, the mags are clean and the follower where it engages the hold open arm isn't damaged. That follower has to move the ejector fast to catch the slide. But, that is how it all works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your pistol should have an ejector/slide hold open part just like any other PP pistol. I don't remember much difference in the part or the spring that holds it down but the mags differ in how they engage it. .22 vs .32 etc regardless of manufacture.

It is the responsibility of the follower in an unloaded magazine to engage the ejector and force it up quickly in front of the breech face where it will catch the slide and hold it open. I would place an empty magazine in an empty pistol, pull the slide rearward and see what the rear end of the ejector/stop is doing. You also need to inspect your magazines to make sure they are clean on the inside and that the follower is not damaged or worn. I'll put up a couple of pictures. But remember, hand cycling cannot approximate the speed in which parts need to move when firing. 1917

The part (ejector/slide hold open arm), properly fitted.

In this photo the rear end of the ejector has been forced upward by the follower. You magazine might press it higher which is fine but it should not be any lower on the breech face than pictured.

Here is a photo, slide off, showing the left, front edge of the follower engaging the ejector causing the rear to be lifted where it would catch the slide. So, make sure the part is installed properly, the mags are clean and the follower where it engages the hold open arm isn't damaged. That follower has to move the ejector fast to catch the slide. But, that is how it all works.

Here is what I have found. The magazine follower is not engaging the ejector to lift it up.
Shotgun

Gun Trigger Revolver

Trigger Shotgun

In this picture you can see the magazine top and follower. On the top, right side, there is a small piece that protrudes out. I believe that this is supposed to engage the ejector and push it up. It does not appear to be engaging.
Finger Hand

So do I have a bad magazine or a bad ejector? The ejector seems to move up and down easily with the spring engaged. The magazine is a 6 bullet clip. Sorry, some of the pictures are slightly out of focus.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Yes, your photos are not good enough for us to tell. Photos can be wonderful for showing something technical but in order to do so they need to be in sharp focus and you need to consider and angle that shows what you are trying to show. They also need to be properly lit. I did not put up a photo that showed a clear downward shot of how the ejector rests on the follower. That is a .380 mag, I can tell by the ridge down the left side.

Close up is no good if it is out of focus. Close up or far away is no good if what you are trying to picture is lost in the shadows. I'll put another photo up showing the engagement in a clearer photo. Note, when taking a picture of this particular situation....you must make sure the ejector is fitted tightly against the left side of the frame and has not moved away while handling the pistol. It is also not necessary to remove the slide to have a look. Thanks Halfmoonclip...I take these photos usually once, select the good ones and host em at Imgur. I think I have a photo of about everything on PP and P22 pistols. :) 1917

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with your follower. Does it move freely....all the way up? The first thing to do is simply install an empty mag and retract the slide. The follower must shove the ejector up so that the rear end is in front of the bolt face as previously shown. If it won't...you need to figure out why. Your mag spring should securely hold the follower against the top of the magazine lips. No play. And that nub on the left side of the follower is there to engage the ejector. When looking at this with the slide off....make sure the ejector stays properly fitted tight against the side of the frame.

I'm wondering if you have the proper ejector or a damaged one. If a used pistol there is no telling what might have been done to it over the years. This is not rocket science. How and when the follower engages the ejector is very simple. I'll put up a photo of what an Interarms .380 should look like. I also have a manual...will see what it takes to scan it. 1917

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
I don't see anything wrong with your follower. Does it move freely....all the way up? The first thing to do is simply install an empty mag and retract the slide. The follower must shove the ejector up so that the rear end is in front of the bolt face as previously shown. If it won't...you need to figure out why. Your mag spring should securely hold the follower against the top of the magazine lips. No play. And that nub on the left side of the follower is there to engage the ejector. When looking at this with the slide off....make sure the ejector stays properly fitted tight against the side of the frame.

I'm wondering if you have the proper ejector or a damaged one. If a used pistol there is no telling what might have been done to it over the years. This is not rocket science. How and when the follower engages the ejector is very simple. I'll put up a photo of what an Interarms .380 should look like. I also have a manual...will see what it takes to scan it.

Oh yeah, finally got your photos to blow up again and something is wrong as shown in photo #2. The very area we really need to see is black but...the follower is all the way up and the ejector is still sitting all the way down. I think you have the wrong ejector or a damaged one. Perhaps someone modified a .22 ejector? The ejector looks blued...should be stainless if it came with a stainless pistol. 1917

·
Registered
10,528 Posts

A few more pictures. Your follower looks pretty much like this one.

Here is an empty mag inserted and you can see the small tab on the left side is lifting the ejector. Also take a careful look at the inside of the ejector to see what a stock one should look like. Nothing broken off, nothing filed on.

If you look really closely you can see a small mark on the tab where the ejector is engaged. This shows that the follower is solidly engaging the ejector when lifting it. 1917

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm wondering if you have the proper ejector or a damaged one. If a used pistol there is no telling what might have been done to it over the years. This is not rocket science. How and when the follower engages the ejector is very simple. I'll put up a photo of what an Interarms .380 should look like. I also have a manual...will see what it takes to scan it. 1917
Unfortunately, I only have one magazine. You do mention no play in the follower but I do have play in the follower. The ejector does stay properly fitted to the side of the gun, flush. It moves up and down freely and I can feel the spring working to do that. It can be pushed up and drops down in place when let go. To me, it seems that the magazine and the nub on the side isn't catching the ejector to push it up.
Thanks for all the responses. As for scanning the manual, don't bother going to that trouble. The two manuals online that I have found provide the information that I need and seem to be correct to the gun. There does not appear to be any changes with this gun to make a difference. One manual is copyrighted 2015, the other is a german (english and spanish translated) and I'm not sure of the date but here is a screen shot that may have a date, european style.
Gun Firearm Trigger Airsoft gun Gun barrel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Unfortunately, I only have one magazine. You do mention no play in the follower but I do have play in the follower. The ejector does stay properly fitted to the side of the gun, flush. It moves up and down freely and I can feel the spring working to do that. It can be pushed up and drops down in place when let go. To me, it seems that the magazine and the nub on the side isn't catching the ejector to push it up.
Thanks for all the responses. As for scanning the manual, don't bother going to that trouble. The two manuals online that I have found provide the information that I need and seem to be correct to the gun. There does not appear to be any changes with this gun to make a difference. One manual is copyrighted 2015, the other is a german manual (english and spanish translated) and I'm not sure of the date but here is a screen shot that may have a date, european style.
View attachment 87024

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
also, I do plan on buying another magazine so I have at least two and maybe three. Does any PPK 6 round magazine fit?

I also missed the post that says the ejector may be the wrong ejector as it is blued and it should be SS. Where can I get a new ejector? Also, it seems that I read that walther warranties its guns for life regardless of owner. Is this true? Can I send it to walther for free repair paying only for the shipping to/from?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Possible that the edge of the ejector is worn or too short and the mag follower skids past it and it doesn't rise up to catch the slide.
A pic of the ejector without the mag inserted from the inside view is needed to show us.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
Gun in hand many of us could give you a quick diagnosis. The D catch hole cannot be damaged nor the mag catch. In other words....the mag has to sit at the correct height in the pistol. I think a new mag would be a good idea especially if you only have one. I'm assuming you have carefully looked at the inside of the ejector to make sure it looks like the one I pictured. When I mention that the follower should be tight I mean that the magazine spring should be long enough to press the follower all the way up to the top of the magazine and hold it there pretty firmly. In order for the follower to press the ejector up properly the magazine spring is usually much stronger than the small spring that holds the ejector down.

There are other problems that could be the problem...weak ammo not blowing the slide back far enough but usually that would cause feeding problems. Limp wristing can also cause the slide to not be fully blown back but again feeding problems will be encountered. How about an inside picture of your ejector. Especially the area where the follower engages it. And you are confident the ejector is moving freely, all the way up onto the face of the bolt. Have you tried simply manually retracting the slide to see if that works or not?

If nothing seems to be off...stretch that mag spring a bit. I suppose I could put the free spring length. MG Mike might already have it listed in the
FAQ section. The best thing in my opinion is to carefully inspect your ejector for wear damage and then try a new magazine. I believe MecGar sells a compatible one. Or borrow one is you have a friend with a .380 PPK. I'm sure most gunsmiths could take a close look and assess the problems as well. 1917

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Possible that the edge of the ejector is worn or too short and the mag follower skids past it and it doesn't rise up to catch the slide.
A pic of the ejector without the mag inserted from the inside view is needed to show us.
So based on 1911's post with picture showing the follower and ejector:
https://i.imgur.com/uwXzqO2.jpg

Here is an empty mag inserted and you can see the small tab on the left side is lifting the ejector. Also take a careful look at the inside of the ejector to see what a stock one should look like. Nothing broken off, nothing filed on.

His is squared off while mine is angular:
Gun Firearm Revolver Trigger Air gun

Gun Firearm Trigger Air gun Airsoft

So I suspect that my ejector is worn or not the correct ejector. So how difficult is it to replace the ejector? I'm fairly mechanical and have done some of my own repairs on my handguns before. I saw a couple of you tube videos and it appears that you just need to lift out the spring in a groove and the ejector comes right out.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
So based on 1911's post with picture showing the follower and ejector:
https://i.imgur.com/uwXzqO2.jpg

Here is an empty mag inserted and you can see the small tab on the left side is NOTlifting the ejector. Also take a careful look at the inside of the ejector to see what a stock one should look like. Nothing broken off, nothing filed on.
You need a new ejector. It appears someone has monkeyed around with that one. Who knows why. Perhaps they tried to make a .22 version fit. I'd give this guy a call. He is an expert and probably has the exact ejector and spring. They are easy to remove and reinstall. In fact, one of the things everyone should do after removing the slide is make sure the part is still tight against the left side of the frame before trying to install the slide. Keep working on your photography....you must make sure the area of interest is in focus and well lit. In some of your picture the recoil spring and hammer are sharply focused but not the area we are concerned with. Even a phone camera will take a great photo. 1917

Mike McClellan
Home
M&M Gunsmithing
2423 Carter Grove Rd
Hazel Green Al. 35750
571-276-7676
E-mail [email protected]
E-mail [email protected]

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
You also might have good luck just giving Ft Smith a call and ask what they will do for you. They might throw a new part in the mail for free. Never hurts to ask. In a toss up.....I'd go with Mike. 1917

1 - 20 of 39 Posts