Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sure looks stainless to me. It looks too good to have been blued. Nothing against blue but when you strip the blue the stripping chemicals leave a finish on the bare metal that is a little less lusterous. There a method for confirming stainless that I haven't used in a long while and it escapes my old brain, maybe another here remembers. Usually test on a spot none will see like the mag well. -Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,324 Posts
My guess from the pics is that it has been buffed, perhaps to remove some scratches.
A dab of cold blue (inside the slide, etc.) should give you an answer. If it doesn't react, it's stainless.
Moon
ETA-
Had a look at mine to be sure; the top of the slide should be a bead blast finish, and the buffing marks on the sides of the slide should be parallel to the slide itself. Somebody has been at it with a buffer.
M

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the information. I place a dab of cold blue on the inside of the slide and it did not take. I then placed some on the area near the bottom of the part of the slide where the firing pin is located and it took some of the cold blue.
I then placed a dab on the side of the slide and on the front strap of the frame, neither one took. So, either stainless that someone polished at some point or a refinishing was done some time in it's life. Either way now, I know it's not bare metal.
It will be used and enjoyed.
Thank you again for the information.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It's not stainless, as the serial number would have an "S" prefix if it were. It was originally a blue gun; probably it's been plated.

M
I have a stainless PPK from Interarms and its serial number starts with "A" - is the "S" only for PPK/S models? This pistol sure looks stainless to me!

Pat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts