Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This gun isn't mine but a friend's I'm cleaning and oiling up for him I have never seen a chipped rail like this are interarms ppks of questionable quality

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I seriously doubt it came from the factory like that. More likely is very poor take down procedure by previous owner/owners. If the recoil spring was installed backwards it can be very difficult to remove or reinstall the slide. What does the front edges of the slide look like?

·
Registered
79 Posts
To minimize "galling" (damage) in that exact spot, on both slides of the frame, I apply a tiny dab of Tretra gun grease before reassembly. Additionally, upon reassembly, the slide must be pulled fully to the rear and then fully seated (flat with zero tilt) before allowing the slide to move forward. Also, in my experience, this type of rail damage is not uncommon on stainless steel Rangers but is rarely seen on carbon steel PP series pistols.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Not really a chip, but rather a slight buggering from reassembly, as noted above.
It's not apt to cause any trouble.
Moon

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
It's just an ugly boo boo, but as said, there shouldn't be any issue with it. I also abide with the idea of a small amount of grease on the rails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts