Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an old PPK, looks as if it was stored in a tackle box along side a river, I took it apart and it had some rust on the inside, noticeably on the recoil spring, I ordered Wolff recoil springs for it and I also ordered a hammer spring kit.

The hammer springs are reduced weight, I don’t know anything about PPK’s so if I install these reduced springs for the hammer I’m assuming my trigger pull weight will go down , but then what’s that going to do for ignition?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Nice thing about stainless is that you have options to bring the finish back to life. Good luck with your project!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I soaked it in vinegar and it did remove the surface rust, I need to go shoot it and see if it runs , then I guess I’ll figure out if I want to keep/carry it, what would you guys say it’s worth in its condition, no box , just gun and 2 mags, one of which is in horrible shape, the pics I posted of the mag is after I scrubbed it with WD40 and steel wool, I was going to soak it in the vinegar but don’t know what that would do to the plastic base

Attachments

·
Registered
290 Posts
I soaked it in vinegar and it did remove the surface rust, I need to go shoot it and see if it runs , then I guess I’ll figure out if I want to keep/carry it, what would you guys say it’s worth in its condition, no box , just gun and 2 mags, one of which is in horrible shape, the pics I posted of the mag is after I scrubbed it with WD40 and steel wool, I was going to soak it in the vinegar but don’t know what that would do to the plastic base
NEVER use steel wool on a gun, bits can break off in the gun and cause rust. Only use scotch brite pads or wet/dry fine sand paper. fwiw

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
That mag is blued. If the gun is clean otherwise inside, just get new mags, MecGars.
Resistance of the mainspring is part of the balance of slide velocity, too. Are the OEM springs that bad?
Moon

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn’t use the steel wool on the gun, I used a scotch bright pad.

No, the springs into it seem to be fine, the recoil spring is rusted so I wanted to replace that but the hammer spring is fine, double action is nice and super heavy, I didn’t know it affected other things with the gun, if that’s the case I’ll leave it alone!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I didn’t use the steel wool on the gun, I used a scotch bright pad.

No, the springs into it seem to be fine, the recoil spring is rusted so I wanted to replace that but the hammer spring is fine, double action is nice and super heavy, I didn’t know it affected other things with the gun, if that’s the case I’ll leave it alone!
"the pics I posted of the mag is after I scrubbed it with WD40 and steel wool"
Just responding to your post, but it's good you used a SB pad.

·
Registered
9,921 Posts
The outside of the mag isn't important. You need to remove the bumper, pull all of the innards out and inspect them. Looks like the spring will probably be bad, perhaps not. You can get new MecGar mags for about $30 per. The pistol looks in pretty good shape to me...I suppose you have removed the grips, field stripped and had a careful look at the bore, trigger bar, hammer, sear, firing pin....all of the internal steel parts that could have rusted, etc. Those are important when it comes to actually firing it.

I've been known to put on a heavy leather glove, hold a firearm around the other side of a good size pine tree and fire it with only one round in it. Then inspect again. You can straighten out stainless steel blemishes pretty easily except over the roll marks. I use those fingernail emery boards you find in grocery or drug stores. Pink is very fine, blue is medium and black is coarse. You should carefully polish in the same direction of the existing polishing direction. Slowly. We have a 20 year old real stainless steel stove. Last year I gave it a good cleaning, added some new parts and refinished the steel with emery paper being careful to follow the same direction and grit size. It looked like new, all of the pot and pan scratches on the nose of the steel...gone. 1917

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
...I've been known to put on a heavy leather glove, hold a firearm around the other side of a good size pine tree and fire it with only one round in it....1917
All the while saying, "Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners..."
Luckily I didn't have a mouthful of coffee. :D That was a real mind movie.

Yeah, caution is good thing with a gun with a checkered history. This one doesn't seem likely to grenade, but trying one round at a time seems prudent.
Best,
Moon

Reactions: 93978
1 - 11 of 11 Posts