Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried the search function, but could not answer this question:  Were the Interarms PPK/s' marked in any way to indicate year of manufacture?  I have a blued PPK/s with s/n 0690xx.  There is a proof mark on the chamber, visible through the ejection port, that looks like the letters VA attached to each other.  Other than the "normal" imprints on the slide, I can't find anything else to indicate birth date.  Can anyone help me??  Thanks!!    

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I had four interarms produced PPK's in the past. The only factor that gave a generalized date of manufacture (that I can recall) was the date on the test target. As Michael t. mentioned in the previous reply, Interarms did not put a 'born on' date on their pistols.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I do not know if this breakdown of ser.#s applies to the new USA mfg. guns, but this is it. The code runs this way: A=0, B=1, C=2 all the way to K which is 9. Example: the letters HH mean that the gun was mfg. in 77 (1977). Hope this helps a little, good luck ...Don

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
No
that code does not apply to the new production PPK and PPK/S since they are done by S&W and not being test shot in Germany......nor does it appy to Interarms manufactured PPK's since they were not test fired in Germany neither.....
The date code is something that is done by the Proofhouse and not Walther in that case......(H&K has same date codes)

one should mention that there is no letter "J" in the date codes.... the German left that out so nobody would get confused on a date stamp..... so we have H=7, I=8, K=9

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I had not thought of looking at the test target! It's dated 4/27/99! It's interesting that this seems to be the only way to date these guns.... Thanks to all who responded!!

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
It might not be the only way to date the gun......
but since Interarms "no longer is" you are not able to contact them to ask for date of production....
I guess somebody out there has all the #'s.....
I sure wish whomever has the records would make them public....

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Uncut's date code post got me thinking. Wouldn't it have been better for them to leave out the I instead of the J?

Just rambling...

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
So the US made Interarms pieces are not date coded? Here all along I thought there was a date code. My sample also has the two letters and I thought they were IA, not VA though the I is slanted. I just thought it was a sloppy "I". If anyone comes up with a system for datecoding Interarms PPK/S's I would like to know.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
If it is made by Interarms, there is no way to date ... unless somebody has records of serial#'s with production dates.....

If it is Interarms imported it should have the regular Walther proofs....

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MLB @ Nov. 21 2006,6:37)]Uncut's date code post got me thinking.  Wouldn't it have been better for them to leave out the I instead of the J?

Just rambling...
the I's and J's look too similar, so they just picked the J. I will have to reread Dieter Marschall's book, i think that is addressed somewhere, but I can't remember.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Yes that is correct......
IN Germany ( I grew up and lived there 20 years) the I and J are identical ... just that the 'J' is longer  than the 'I'

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I do the same on drawings of building column lines. My point was that the "I" also looks like a "one", so that would have made more sense to me. I didn't know about the I and J looking similar. Learn something every day...

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
In Germany you won't mix the 1 and the I.... as German's write the 1 just like you see it on your screen with the little line/hook (for lack of better words)
and the 7 has a line through it
"7-" picture those to on top of each other

took me the longest time to write the 1 and 7 the american way.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts