Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a Interarms PPK/S .380 that is failing to feed FMJ ammo after firing. I've put over 300 rounds through it and this was my late father's gun so its probably broken in. I'm not limp wristing it. I had 3 failures from 1 mag. Replaced the older mags and same issue. Gun is well lubed and clean, no burrs or rough spots I can find. It ejects fine, seems to feed from the mag fine, but the slide is not moving to fully closed position after firing. Maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch open. If I tap the slide with my offhand it fires fine. Rounds drop into the chamber just fine by hand. Hornady CD and Fed Hydroshok feeds just fine, but FMJ ball just won't run and I need afforable practice ammo cause frankly I suck atm :D. Magtech, Speer, and Aguila won't run. I wondering if its the spring, do I need to have the Feed ramp/barrel polished down like S&W did with their PPK run, or if its something I've not thought of.

Registered
It could be many things, but check recoil spring to ensure small/tight end is on first. Hold off on polishing the ramp. MGmike can tell you how many coils should be free of the barrel as an indication if the spring needs replacing.

Registered
Based on your description it is not a feeing issue, as things appear to feed and eject just fine. I would start with the recoil spring as DE PIstole has suggested. Make sure that it is a 20lb factory spring to start.

Also as an aside thought since it was previously owned and broken in, make sure that there is no barrel rotation and that the extractor isn't rubbing up or catching against the interior barrel.

Reactions: 93978

Registered
I have an IA PPK/S .380 and when I saw your post, before I even read the above responses, the very first thing I thought was, "I wonder if he has the recoil spring backwards?" Very easy to do. I did it before I became familiar with this wonderful firearm. I hope that is what it is!
Furthermore, years ago I tried to replace the OEM spring with a lighter Wolfe spring...had to switch back after experiencing FTF and FTE.
They are ammo picky but you shouldn't be having problems with your FMJ's.
DON'T GIVE UP THE SHIP!!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
ok checked everything everyone listed save the ammo. Tomorrow is my range day, gonna hit some different stores try some other brands of ammo. I've also ordered a new 20 lb spring since I really have no idea how many rounds my father put through it in the years he had it. Thank you for all the advice, and trust me I'm not giving up the ship on this gun I already love it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
.95 gr FmJ
Aguila just shooting to get rid of it cause its really dirty :(, 6 failure to close in 2 mags. Never buying this again.
Federal American Eagle 4 failure to close in 2 mags.
Blazer Brass 3 failure to close in 2 mags,
Armscor, 0 in 2 mags.
Then Federal Hydro shocks .90 gr 1 mag no failures.
Armscor .95 1 mag no failure

I noticed it seems to be running better the more I shot, so I did a very light cleaning and very very light oil, after getting home. New spring has shipped. so we'll put that in and see what happens. Wish I could get more range time but once a week, is about all I can afford.

Registered
Failure to go into battery. In order of likelihood:

Weak recoil spring
Damaged or bad extractor.
Damaged loaded chamber indicator pin.
Rough breech face.

Just my initial thoughts.

Registered
No one has mentioned bad spring in the magazine. If its too tight it can cause failure to return to battery inconsistently.

Registered
I have a 20+year old PPK/S which has led me to understand a few things when I had a FTF issue:
1 Check the spring - in the correct way - or buy a replacement if weak;
2 I always used dry lube spray (Hoppes) on my spring after a cleaning;
3 Mine loves flat nosed ammo...versus ball shaped FMJ;

The PPK/s is a great firearm...and the older InterArms versions are great if properly maintained.
Enjoy!
R_che

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Just a quick update, still feeding FMJ and Hydroshocks no issues. My groupings are getting better and since I put a larger beavertail on it I LOVE shooting my PPK/S :D

Registered
The factory 20lb recoil spring in the PPK I own I replaced long ago with a Wolff 16lb. spring (test target date: Dec. 7, 1989 - SS .380).

That was done after I read a few reports about short stroking and FTF with the heavier 20lb. factory spring. However, it did run without issues with the 20 lb. spring.

It has run without any issue whatsoever with the 16 lb. spring - no FTF/FTE even with Winchester flat nosed whitebox. Always goes into battery.

My gunsmith has one on his workbench right now with the same issue - not going into battery.

That PPK/S is filthy and he strongly suspects that the issue might be related to the loaded chamber indicator pin which might have burrs on it and is also trying to cycle in a soiled pin channel. I intend to follow up with him in a few days to see what he found.

FWIW, when I examined the end of that slide, the indicator pin was sitting in a very off-center position.

I doubt that it was ammo related, as the customer was using S&B FMJ. I saw the box he left with him.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Update.
To me the definition of a "Good Day at the Range" is 1 No one but the targets got hurt. and 2. Nothing broke.
I just had my first Bad Day at the Range. What Walther calls the Extractor and I call the Slide Catch broke near the pin where it goes into the frame. I can't complain to much as I've run something like 4000 rounds through it since April. So yeah ordered a new one.

Super Moderator
I'm presuming you actually mean 'ejector' (it is the slide stop as well, and lives in the left side of the frame). I'm guessing you ordered the right part.

What is this 'extended beavertail' of which you speak?
Moon

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
It was just a new factory spring. Standard lbs, I forget which one.

Yes I ordered a new ejector. Should be in my paws in a few days. I'm gonna install it, run a few mags through to test it, clean the heck outta it, oil it down good, put it in the case and give it a rest for awhile. With it being my late father's EDC and mine, I think its time. Gotta keep it in good shape, so that I can pass it down to my grandson. It fits his hands much better then mine, I'm probably gonna get something with a bigger grip like a Taurus G3 or a Glock 19.

As to the beavertail extension,

Gotta say I loved it, only problem is, running 100 rds a week, week after week for a 9 months, I've broken one of them, but at 12 dollars each well its not that bad. Would still recommend that. And I would recommend the PPK/S to anyone with hands that fit it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts