Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster, Walther owner.

Bought an Interarms PPK/S two days ago. I did a quick function test and it all seemed to work fine.When I got home I noticed the slide is a bit loose on the frame and the decocker/safety sometimes won't go down while the hammer is cocked.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Pull back on the hammer a bit and see if you can free up the safety. This sounds a bit tricky for internet diagnosis. All slides have a bit of play....but not much. Was the slide moving back and forth freely, is the slide all the way closed? Can you cycle the slide? We need to know every detail you can think of. If the recoil spring is on backwards the slide can bind. If the ejector spring has jumped out of the groove that can bind up the slide/ejector/slide. The safety performs several functions....operates a plunger attached to the extractor through a spring....give the safety the snick, snick as it locks into safe/fire. The firing pin gets locked, the hammer blocked, the decocking lever gets engaged...lot things connected directly and indirectly. If there is a good gunsmith nearby you might have them look at the pistol. With enough discussion, details and photos we might be able to resolve it here. Welcome. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slide moves on the frame just fine. slide is fully closed. I have a Polish p64 and a CZ 82 beside it right now to compare the slide play and it's night and day between them and the PPK/S. For photos what would you want to see?

just checked and sometimes it doesn't snick on "safe" also

If I have my thumb on the hammer and i press the trigger I can move the safety back and forth fine.

Also would Walther possibly warranty this?

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Walther may support your pistol. Parts availability may be a hindrance.
Give the gurus here a little more detail. Can you remove the slide from the frame?
Moon

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
I would look for undue wear to something. You will be able to see the safety drum with the slide off and upside down. How does it move? Smooth, sticking? You will be able to see the plunger on the right side (left if upside down) How does it look, does the safety move smoothly from safe to fire. The plunger has to ride up out of the indentations until it drops in the other. How about the firing pin....anything seem out of order there? Firing pin moving freely. This looseness of the slide I'm not quite understanding....rocksback and forth? Up and down movement? Looking at the topside of the rear of the frame...anything seem out of order? Does the decocking lever move a bit easily. Not bent and no excessive wear? These are the kinds of things you are going to have to assess since we don't have your pistol in hand. You can drag photos right onto here or you can host at Imgur if you want to keep a permanent record. Bottom rear of the slide showing the drum and top of the rear of the frame showing hammer block, decocking lever. You can remove the slide and inspect most everything. The grips if you need to see the sear/hammer engagement. Don't cock and drop the hammer when the slide is off unless you lower it with your thumb....softly. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Safety selector moves smooth. yeah I can move it back and forth just fine when it's off the frame or while it's on the frame without the hammer cocked. firing pin moves fine as far as I can tell.

slide is loose as I can rock it back and forth and side to side a few mm. Let me take some photos and get back with you

·
Registered
10,423 Posts

Dig in close with some well lit, sharp focus photos. And experienced gunsmith could assess your slide fitment. I trust there isn't so much wear that the internal parts could get out of align enough to not function or bind on one another. If so that would indicate gunsmith time. Sure miss MG Mike's assessment of issues like this. So the problem is that the safety doesn't freely decock the hammer but jams tight. Does it ever work? Can't find my close up photos of the safety drum....they are in here somewhere. With the slide and grips off you can see about everything. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
ok so my dad and me were messing with it and for a lack of a better word, the triangle thing the safety switch hits stays locked while cocked and doesn't move down. I think I figured it out.

My dads Kimber micro 9 has the same slide looseness so it seems to be ok

·
Registered
10,423 Posts

This thread from up in the FAQ section might be of interest regarding your issue. 1917

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yep that nails it! So someone might have changed the hammer release? It might just need a good cleaning too.

·
Super Moderator
7,512 Posts
Concur. Something happen to Mike?
Moon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts