Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
In the faq section there are 2 threads on reported Interarms PPK and PPK/S serial numbers. You will have to scan over the posts and find a serial number close to yours. Unfortunately Interarms did not keep Amy records so we have to rely on the test target date which is included with every released gun. If you have the original box, it will sometimes be stamped inside as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you all very much for all the effort I saw that went into the 34 pages of posts on the subject. I was able to get a very good idea from going through them. Neither I who worked at the Wisconsin Crime lab back in ancient times nor friend who worked at Mass Crime lab could recall them making anything but PPK/s'. I at least can write it of to being 79, but he is much younger.:)

·
Premium Member
8,507 Posts
Yup...I'd go with 87 too

·
Registered
16 Posts
Please note I am asking about a PPK , not a PPK/S.
I just got this one today. It is a true PPK marketed by Interarms and made in the US. Can someone please tell me when these were made?

Wow, that's a beautiful example. May I ask how much you paid? Was it a local gun store on online somewhere?

·
Registered
16 Posts
It was $550 at a local 35 table gun show.

Damn, what a find. I would have scooped it up too for that price. At my local shows, there's hardly ever a PPK, never mind one like that. That's a perfect example of a better buy than the new ones -- true to the original design, nice blued finish, AND less money!!

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Yep, Interarms made the PPK, in .32 as well. No need to ask how I know this. :D

For the OP, nice catch. Feed it FMJs.

Moon

·
Registered
9,352 Posts
The photography of this pistol is interesting. Is the finish that black? Has it been refinished? Is there chalk in the letters? Or is that reflections from the way the pistol is lit? I'm always photographing stuff including firearms and wonder how this pistol was lit. Thanks.

On another topic...There seems to be a difference in the nose of the slide that I see on one PPK vs another PPK. The pistol above has a relatively smooth transition of lines while other PPK's have a much more chopped off look. Is it the angle of the photo or did Ranger pistols have a revised profile here? 1917

Example of the nose of the slide....difference in angle of photo or was there a change somewhere along the line.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yep, Interarms made the PPK, in .32 as well. No need to ask how I know this. :D
For the OP, nice catch. Feed it FMJs.
Moon
The Interarms .32's were all stainless though, right? While stainless is nice, I wish they had made blued/black ones too, so there would be a less expensive option than the German ones.

On another topic...There seems to be a difference in the nose of the slide that I see on one PPK vs another PPK. The pistol above has a relatively smooth transition of lines while other PPK's have a much more chopped off look. Is it the angle of the photo or did Ranger pistols have a revised profile here? 1917

Example of the nose of the slide....difference in angle of photo or was there a change somewhere along the line.
It's my understanding that all the pre-WW2 made PPK's at the original Zella Mehlis factory have the "chopped" corner muzzle like in your pic, and then the later guns starting in the 1950/60s have the curved muzzle corner.

Even that curve was done to a different degree over the decades, the German guns being the nicest looking IMHO. The Interarms ones were all done by hand, and vary from gun to gun, and then the latest ones from S&W and now Walther look the worst - almost squared off, hardly a curve there at all.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Plainly, there were some blued Interarms guns, but the US market was swinging to rust-resistant stainless; Smith M60s were made of unobtanium for quite awhile. I'm happy to have some .32 examples in stainless, but thot' there were blued ones as well, since they had the tooling.
Moon

·
Registered
58 Posts
Please note I am asking about a PPK , not a PPK/S.
I just got this one today. It is a true PPK marketed by Interarms and made in the US. Can someone please tell me when these were made?

I can remember ever seeing one with a blued barrel?
Steve

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
I can remember ever seeing one with a blued barrel?
Steve
An Interarms made blued PPK has a polished barrel hood. Maybe it's polished on the gun in question too. It's hard to tell from the photo. But looking at the proof on the barrel hood I'd tend to believe it isn't blued but in its original state.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts