Walther Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Oddly, the guy who started my interest in the PPK showed up with a blued Ranger example, and it felt so good (was Waltherless at that point) that I got a stainless Ranger. I was to load for them, which led to a Dillon 550. Never did find a handload which would run 100 straight in those guns, and the buddy always complained that they weren't as much fun to shoot as a wartime bring-back he'd fired.
At that point, we gave up, but it turns out the wartime gun had been a .32 instead.
Moon

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The PPK was primarily designed around the 7.65, and the .380 was an afterthought, as Europeans favored the 7.65. Having said that, the 7.65 just shoots nicer in the PPK. Even with the wartime and pre-war guns, any 7.65 is probably going to be more reliable, and more pleasant to shoot. There are some PPK/s's in 7.65, as there are Interarms and such post-war PPk's. I personally like the post war, pre-1968 German "made" PPK (made in France, assembled and finished in Ulm.Do), when you can find it, but it calls for a premium these days. I had one for years, but constant shooting put wear on the sear and hammer, and it needed occasion smithing to keep it running right. Accurate as hell though, and hitting a silhouette target at 70 yards consistently wasn't that hard. Also, "hits like a brick in a plate glass window." (sic) Haha!

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Maquig, that should either be a stickie, or cast in bronze with a library light. :)
Moon

·
Registered
208 Posts
I got a 68 PPK, .32, does that qualify? Not a Pre, but one that made it under the wire. West Germany made.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I got a 68 PPK, .32, does that qualify? Not a Pre, but one that made it under the wire. West Germany made.
Being from 1968, the year they stopped the usual import of the PPK, resulting in the then-new PPK/s, that would have been one of the last imported normally. However, there are some PPK 's that were imported for use by police. Individual officers could order through the department they worked for on letterhead, and Interarms, etc, could import a .32 and .380 PPK after 1969. Many of the latter ones imported came with black plastic grips and finger extension. I'm not sure when Walther discontinued the German made PPK, but I'm sure availability to police ended shortly after. These guns occasionally ended up in "civilian" hands after those police officers sold them into the market.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Matquig, exactly. At some point, the BATF curbed the import for police officers (apparently some were making a cottage industry of it) by demanding the request be on department letterhead.
Some others may have been PX purchases by GIs, but I'm not sure about that.
Moon

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
The lucky side of owning a US produced PPK or PPKS in .32 is that they are often found to have a higher reliability record than those made in .380; probably, for the same reason the German 7.65's enjoy a higher score for reliability. Tack on that both are more rare here in the US, and it's a plus/plus. Unfortunately, that often makes the price higher.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Both my PPKs are very reliable so far. I only use hardball, though. The stainless Interarms in .380 is more accurate in my hands than the German .32 for whatever reason. I don't find the recoil of the .380 especially unpleasant, but it is a bit snappy. And I'm recoil sensitive, but have been shooting .45s and .357s, so perhaps my frame of reference is skewed. The .32 is very pleasant,

·
Registered
16 Posts
My PPK/S .32 is an Interarms made in 1998 with a W069XX serial number

Interesting! Your picture is the first time I've seen a US-made Interarms 7.65/32 where the 2nd line of text in the roll mark is centered nicely, the way it should be.

Every picture I've seen until now, looked like this attachment below. Which looks super lazy and half-ass to me. Why are most justified so poorly? Seems like when it says the full "7.65mm/32 ACP", it's done right. But with just "32 ACP," they didn't bother to center it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
I never noticed that before, but you are correct. It IS lazy and half-assed.

At least they got it on straight, and not shallow on one end or the other, like some of the earlier guns.

M

21 - 34 of 34 Posts