Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought this home a few weeks ago, and have finally gotten around to getting some pictures for the group. Sorry, they ain't the best pics I've ever taken, but I hope they'll work.

This gun is probably flat new. I know it was test fired at the factory, it came with the target to prove it, but other than that, I think it sat in the previous caretaker's safe since he picked it up in 1997 (I think, more on that later).

I must say that I am very impressed with this pistol. The thought and care that went into every detail from packaging, tools, the accessories, which include a takedown tool to strip and clean the magazines, an allen wrench to change out one of the 5 front sights included to adjust for elevation, the hand signed target, the three different grip back straps, and an excellent instruction manual. I am also impressed and a bit smitten by the de-cock feature, it too is a very well thought out and useful feature.

This thing was test fired at 25 meters; those Germans don't mess around! I believe it was a six shot string and at least two of them nearly went through same hole. Not bad for a short tube 9mm!

Here is another interesting feature, this string of numbers appears to include a date, perhaps May 97? Maybe those who know Walthers better than I might know for sure and chime in. It would make sense, as from what I have read, the first two years the guns were imported into the United States, by Interarms, were 1996 and 1997. It seems that the Walther collectors place a premium on the Interarms guns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here you can see, well sort of, the goodies; the extra back straps for the grip are a welcome feature, as the mid-sized one is not quite big enough for my meat-hook hand. In spite of that I don't own nor have I handled many pistols that fit my hand so well, as if it was custom-molded to my hand. According to the instructions, one is to use a 5/32" punch to press out the roll pin that retains the back strap, which is something I plan on doing tomorrow. I really like the feature on the rear sight that allows the operator to push down a small detent and slide off the rear sight by hand. I wish all semi-autos were designed this way. I plan on ordering the "Euro" rear sight, as it has a white outline instead of the two dots. For whatever reason, I like my sights either all black, bar & dot, or white outline rear and front dot. The three dot sights seem to play tricks with my vision and give me an eye-dominance issue under quick sight acquistion.

I'm not sure if a numbered plastic box will be worthy of note years down the road, but it's nice to have.

I really love this pistol! I can see why the folks as S&W chose to use it as a platform for one of their semi-autos. Also, after some getting used to, the trigger is really quite good. With just a little practice, I have been able to feel the "reset" and though I haven't had it to the range yet, I'm guessing that I will be able to let off some very tight double taps.

I wasn't looking for this pistol when I found it, but when I did, I thought back to when I had first read about them, and had always sort of wanted one, one of the original run. Ten years later, I'm glad I found this one and better yet, behind the red curtain here in the PRK.

Given the spate of new gun control laws that have hit the books through the back door here in CA, I'm even happier that I picked this one up.

Best regards,

Michael

P.S.

I tried to insert the images the way I do on every other forum I post on, but for whatever reason it's not letting me. Sorry that you have to click on each image.

If I could be allowed to edit my post I would sure love to fix that.

Any help from the Moderator?? -Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Given the spate of new gun control laws that have hit the books through the back door here in CA, I'm even happier that I picked this one up.
Sweet pistol, congrats! What kind of laws have they slipped in, and how did they get them through?

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
VERY nice original P99 specimen. You will enjoy it.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet pistol, congrats! What kind of laws have they slipped in, and how did they get them through?
It appears that a handful of laws are now on the books here in the PRK. Of them, the two most insidious are: 1. As of Jan. 1, 2007, no semi-automatic handgun may be shipped into CA unless it has a built-in magazine safety or disconnect. Just think, every Glock, H&K, 1911, etc., will have to be redesigned to be sold here.

I can't believe it!!

2. As of June 2008, EVERY single gun, no matter what it is, C&R, long-gun, handgun, etc. will have to have a "Unique Shipping Identification Number." The SELLER, private party or wholesaler, will have to call the CA DoJ and get said shipping number for every gun in the shipment. To make matter matters worse, the CA DoJ will have carte-blanche as to if it WILL issue the shipment number.

Can you imagine a private seller in another state wanting to call CA big government, giving them their personal information, make, model number, and serial number, so they can ship their for sale gun to an FFL in CA?

How they got in through the back door, or under the rug is a mystery to most people I talk to, including 01 FFLs that know this stuff for their business. The LIBS here are the most evil lot imaginable. Their ilk is beyond description. I'm a law-abiding gun enthusiast and I'm being bent over the barrel and... well you get the idea, every time I buy a gun. I just picked up an old revolver, just yesterday, and learned that I'll have to pay $13 for a gun lock when I go back to pick it up, even though I have safes (CA approved -of course!) out the ying yang.

I'm so upset by this crap that I... well, I'm not going to defile this great forum with the words.

Though my wife doesn't want to leave CA, she's in for a shock if she wants to stay married. I'm getting out of here!!! I've been looking for work in Arizona, Nevada, Nebraska, and Idaho. If anyone knows where there's need of a UNIX/Linux systems administrator in a FREE state, please let me know.

I HATE CALIFORNIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the rant, but you asked.

Anyway, I'm taking some solice in my P99.

I should say, I have not been this excited about a semi-auto since I bought my very first Glock, a 21, in 1991 or 92, can't remember now.

This little Walther has renewed my passion for semi-autos and I will pick up every early P99 I can find here in the PRK.

Best regards,

Michael

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
VERY nice original P99 specimen. You will enjoy it.

Regards,
James
James,

How does one go about posting photos on this forum. I dread having the links there for the other member to have to click on.

Also, I cannot edit my posts. Could you help?

Thanks and best regards,

Michael

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You're kidding, right?

Those images are superb! What kind of digicam did you use to take them?
Thank you very much Sir!

Those images aren't really all that good, IMHO, but I was struggling with the light today in cloudy-then-sunny San Diego.

I used a Canon Digital Rebel XT with a 28-105mm EF-S lens. I used a custom white balance with the camera set at 400 ASA. I usually don't us 400 for gun pics, but the light was giving me headaches and I didn't feel like breaking out the soft box.

I shot in aperture priority mode, obviously on a tripod with a remote, and bracketed my shots starting at F8 and closing it down from there out to F22. I love digital that way!

You don't need a fancy camera to achieve nice images. I have posted many good images on other forums that I shot with a Nikon Coolpix 2-whatever. The key is using no flash and having a tripod -that and surface prep. If you look closely, there's a nice hunk of lint on the rear sight in one of my shots. I didn't see it, but of course, the camera did!

My very best regards,

Michael

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Great pics and great gun...I found my first P99 a few years back...like yours a NIB Interarms and what a sweet pistol. It is my bedside gun...it is just 200 off in production numbers than yours...first cousins I would guess.:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can anyone tell me what the numbers printed on the target mean?

It looks like 05 97 would mean May 1997, but I'm not sure.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks,

Michael

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I doubt this since the date code on the P99 is "KI" unless I am going blind and can't see the date code right......(but it doesn't look like "KH")
"KI" would make this a 1998 gun.... which is when it was proofed

·
Registered
131 Posts
I doubt this since the date code on the P99 is "KI" unless I am going blind and can't see the date code right......(but it doesn't look like "KH")
"KI" would make this a 1998 gun.... which is when it was proofed
I'm just speculating here, but the code might simply be a part number incorporating the print date of the blank test target sheet. Naturally, they would be printed some time before the actual factory test firing.

My 40S&W P99 AS has an "AF" date code (2005); the accompanying test target has 2337169.10-04.20,0.13 printed in the same location:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just speculating here, but the code might simply be a part number incorporating the print date of the blank test target sheet. Naturally, they would be printed some time before the actual factory test firing.

My 40S&W P99 AS has an "AF" date code (2005); the accompanying test target has 2337169.10-04.20,0.13 printed in the same location:

It would seem to make sense that the target was printed beforehand, however, weren't the Interarms P99s imported only in 1996 and '97?

Michael

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Mine is a KI date code and the target has # 233 71 69.05.97.20,0.13

It is signed by the same person as is yours...

It has a really tight group too...:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great pics and great gun...I found my first P99 a few years back...like yours a NIB Interarms and what a sweet pistol. It is my bedside gun...it is just 200 off in production numbers than yours...first cousins I would guess.:D
I also picked up a NIB one #0041xx and I absolutely adore it.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
It would seem to make sense that the target was printed beforehand, however, weren't the Interarms P99s imported only in 1996 and '97?

Michael

-1999 "Interarms"
-2000 "Carl Walther USA LLC"
-2001 "Walther USA LLC"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
-1999 "Interarms"
-2000 "Carl Walther USA LLC"
-2001 "Walther USA LLC"
Just curious, I know books are often wrong, but the current blue book states that the Interarms Guns were imported in 1996 and 97.

You think the book is wrong?

Thanks,

Michael

1 - 20 of 24 Posts