Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed TruGlo night sights on the CCP themselves as a DIY project? Front sight was easy...rear, not so much.... I’m wondering where the needed points are that require some filing to make the rear sight fit in the channel. I called TruGlo and they confirmed the rear needs "trimming" and the windage adjustment screw should be re-installed with the new sight.

Thanks - JJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well, just finished the "install" of my new TroGlo night sights and it all turned out ok....

Front sight is relatively easy....with the slide off the frame, drive the retaining pin out that the holds the gas piston and remove the factory sight with the wrench provided in the gun hardware. Carefully press the TruGlo sight in place and secure with the retaining screw provided with the sights.

Remove rear sight by inserting the allen wrench at the right side of the slide beneath the sight base and turn clock-wise. Once the sight is about 2/3 of the way to the left side of the slide in can be removed by pressing with your thumb.

For the rear sights the most "trimming" (filing) required is to the forward edge of the dovetail...

First, file some of the finish off the bottom of the sight to allow it to slide more freely in the slot on the gun slide.

File a small amount from the right side of the rear groove to allow the sight to start sliding into the dovetail more easily.

File the forward edge of the sight...notice this edge has a slight "angle" to it....file so as to keep that angle....also file the forward "groove" of the sight to deepen it. This was the point that required the greatest amount of surface removal to allow the sight to fit into the slide. Remove metal from the sight in small increments and check frequently for "fit"...the sight needs to fit the dovetail snug enough to inhibit lateral movement unless adjusting windage with the allen screw. Press the sight into the dovetail, stopping at the point where the allen screw mates with the thread grooves in the slide....then move the sight by turning the windage screw counter-clockwise. I found it easiest to hold the allen screw in place with the wrench while initially mating the rear sight with the slide.

Posting some pics with this and hope it will offer some insight into how the project can be done by a DIYer.

Tools used:

1. Small hammer
2. Small punch (for removing gas piston retaining pin)
3. A couple blocks of wood (used while removing piston)
4. Small/thin metal file
5. Bench vise and a couple thin pieces of wood to hold rear sight while filing
6. Small jewelers screw driver (for front sight)
7. Star wrench/allen wrench provided with gun hardware

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the elevation correct? or at what range does it shoot spot on?
I haven’t been to the range with it yet but can let you know afterwards....though I’m assuming TruGlo made the sights correctly. The only thing I expect to have to adjust is the "windage" with the rear sight.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Has anyone installed TruGlo night sights on the CCP themselves as a DIY project? Front sight was easy...rear, not so much.... I’m wondering where the needed points are that require some filing to make the rear sight fit in the channel. I called TruGlo and they confirmed the rear needs "trimming" and the windage adjustment screw should be re-installed with the new sight.

Thanks - JJ

Mine did not require any filing of the rear sight, but I did have to file the windage screw a bit so it would fit inside it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How does it shoot

Is the elevation correct? or at what range does it shoot spot on?
BRS...

Sorry I missed answering your question after taking the CCP to the range. Expected to have to at least adjust the rear sight a bit but discovered I got lucky with the install....using a sandbag to keep it steady, the gun shoots "spot-on" at a distance of up to 10-12 yards which I find acceptable to fill its intended purpose....

Opinion....though the TruGlo sights are markedly better than the OEM sights the CCP comes in the box with (hard to see the OEM sights even in daylight), they are still not as good or bright as the night sights that came on my Sig P365. My Sig can be in the safe for two weeks and the sights are still glowing if I open the door and remove the gun when the room is dark.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks - JJ

Can i ask which Tru Glow model number sights each of you purchased? Is there more then one Tru Glo model that fits the CCP?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Can i ask which Tru Glow model number sights each of you purchased? Is there more then one Tru Glo model that fits the CCP?
I believe there is only one TruGlo application for the CCP...their model number is TG231W3W... I actually found it on eBay for about $68 with free shipping back in January....

I have to say the TruGlo sight system is a far cry better than the OEM sights the gun comes with (they’re pretty much useless unless to paint them....but they’re still not as good as the night sights my P365 comes with from Sig...

Someone else posted they put XS Big Dot sights on their CCP recently and I like what I saw on the XS web site...though their sight system is about double what I paid for the TruGlo it may be worth it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. I just want to make sure that one person isn't talking about one model and someone else is or tried installing another model.
I agree that almost anything would be better than the OEM sights. I honestly can't believe Walther would design a sight that is so difficult to see.
I actually cheaped out and bought some Tru Glo paint and painted the sight dots. It is just standing on the table right now curing, but the sight dots are significantly more visible than the OEM dots. If these old eyes get worse I may end up getting the fiber optic sights as I am sure they are better than the paint, so thanks for the Tru Glo model #.
For anyone that wanted to try the paint route, I actually bought 2 different colors, red and green, and applied different colors to the additional front sights that came with the CCP M2. The red is more visible than the green.
Thanks again.
Doug

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I just want to make sure that one person isn't talking about one model and someone else is or tried installing another model.
I agree that almost anything would be better than the OEM sights. I honestly can't believe Walther would design a sight that is so difficult to see.
I actually cheaped out and bought some Tru Glo paint and painted the sight dots. It is just standing on the table right now curing, but the sight dots are significantly more visible than the OEM dots. If these old eyes get worse I may end up getting the fiber optic sights as I am sure they are better than the paint, so thanks for the Tru Glo model #.
For anyone that wanted to try the paint route, I actually bought 2 different colors, red and green, and applied different colors to the additional front sights that came with the CCP M2. The red is more visible than the green.
Thanks again.
Doug
I believe the issue with the OEM sights is that the dots are too far recessed in a hole to be readily obvious....I really expected the TruGlo sights to be a bit brighter than the are...my Sig P365 can be in the gun safe for two weeks and if I remove the gun from the safe in the dark room, the sights are brighter than the TruGlo (even after I’ve “charged” them in bright light) but at least I can see the sights better in normal ambient lighting areas...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
211 Posts
Truglo offers two models, the TFX pro and the tritium pro, spend a few extra $$$ and get the TFX pro
Part # TG13WA3PC, these are better, day or night.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, just finished the "install" of my new TroGlo night sights and it all turned out ok....

Front sight is relatively easy....with the slide off the frame, drive the retaining pin out that the holds the gas piston and remove the factory sight with the wrench provided in the gun hardware. Carefully press the TruGlo sight in place and secure with the retaining screw provided with the sights.

Remove rear sight by inserting the allen wrench at the right side of the slide beneath the sight base and turn clock-wise. Once the sight is about 2/3 of the way to the left side of the slide in can be removed by pressing with your thumb.

For the rear sights the most "trimming" (filing) required is to the forward edge of the dovetail...

First, file some of the finish off the bottom of the sight to allow it to slide more freely in the slot on the gun slide.

File a small amount from the right side of the rear groove to allow the sight to start sliding into the dovetail more easily.

File the forward edge of the sight...notice this edge has a slight "angle" to it....file so as to keep that angle....also file the forward "groove" of the sight to deepen it. This was the point that required the greatest amount of surface removal to allow the sight to fit into the slide. Remove metal from the sight in small increments and check frequently for "fit"...the sight needs to fit the dovetail snug enough to inhibit lateral movement unless adjusting windage with the allen screw. Press the sight into the dovetail, stopping at the point where the allen screw mates with the thread grooves in the slide....then move the sight by turning the windage screw counter-clockwise. I found it easiest to hold the allen screw in place with the wrench while initially mating the rear sight with the slide.

Posting some pics with this and hope it will offer some insight into how the project can be done by a DIYer.

Tools used:

1. Small hammer
2. Small punch (for removing gas piston retaining pin)
3. A couple blocks of wood (used while removing piston)
4. Small/thin metal file
5. Bench vise and a couple thin pieces of wood to hold rear sight while filing
6. Small jewelers screw driver (for front sight)
7. Star wrench/allen wrench provided with gun hardware

Thank you for posting this! I followed your instructions to a T and it worked with no flaws. I used a caliper to measure the width of the original rear sight and compared to the TruGlo to get a reference point. After that I followed the picture you posted. This has been really helpful. Rock on!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts