Walther Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just how difficult is it to install after-market sights on the P99? I have a P99c in .40 that I really love. I am interested in installing Meprolight night sights. Looking at the OEM front sight on my P99c, it would seem you just twist the sight off with a pair of pliers like you would with the OEM front sight on a Glock. Am I correct? Does the Meprolight use a hex nut design on its front sight? And how do you remove the rear OEM sight on a P99? Is there a sight tool specifically for the P99 or will another sight tool such as the MGW for a Glock or the MGW for the Sig work? If not, does one resort to the old punch, hammer, and vice routine to install the rear? Anything I should be careful about? Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
We did have a video of sight removal but the link seems to be down,, Well the stock sight comes out by removing the slide of of the frame and removing the barrel, You will see a allen nut that needs to be removed with the tool that was included with your firearm. The rear sight is a little bit more tricky.Underneath the rear sight adjustment screw you will see a vertical sight detent lock. You need to push down on the detent lock and slide the sight away from the detent while holding down on detent lock,This little baby is spring loaded so be very carefull when you slide the rear sight out. The detent spring will go flying and you will be on your hands and knees trying to find this thing. It wont look good when someone walks in and sees you on the floor in this position either lol. One more thing, The meprolight rear sight will go on the same way the stock sight would but the front sight has a hex nut design, i highly reccomend that you get the tool from meprolight or anywhere else. I think the glock tool is exactly the same. Make sure you put a little lock tite or clear nail polish in the threads of the hex nut so it wont vibrate loose on ya. Good Luck!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We did have a video of sight removal but the link seems to be down,, Well the stock sight comes out by removing the slide of of the frame and removing the barrel, You will see a allen nut that needs to be removed with the tool that was included with your firearm. The rear sight is a little bit more tricky.Underneath the rear sight adjustment screw you will see a vertical sight detent lock. You need to push down on the detent lock and slide the sight away from the detent while holding down on detent lock,This little baby is spring loaded so be very carefull when you slide the rear sight out. The detent spring will go flying and you will be on your hands and knees trying to find this thing. It wont look good when someone walks in and sees you on the floor in this position either lol. One more thing, The meprolight rear sight will go on the same way the stock sight would but the front sight has a hex nut design, i highly reccomend that you get the tool from meprolight or anywhere else. I think the glock tool is exactly the same. Make sure you put a little lock tite or clear nail polish in the threads of the hex nut so it wont vibrate loose on ya. Good Luck!
Kevin, thank you so much! I feel like a real dummy. After posting above, I did a search and looked at my instruction book (I know, I know, it help to read the thing) and saw much of the info you provided. The only question I had, and I think you answered it, is what direction to move the rear sight as I am depressing down on the detent lock. I am thinking it may be a good idea to do this in a large ziplock bag so if the spring goes takes off, it will stay in the bag. What do you think?

I have removed many a hex nut Glock front sight and have the tool. If the Mepro uses the same tool sounds like I am good to go. And I always apply a drop or two of red Loctite to the front sight screw.

So, if you could just confirm what direction to slide of the rear sight, I would appreciate it. And can I simply depress the detent lock with my finger nail while sliding the rear sight off? It would seem so. Forgive my ignorance in all this. I came from the land of Glock and Sig sight pushers.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Stop being so hard on yourself lol,, Your neither ingnorant or a dummy.. Its totally a legit question. The rear sight should be pushed in the oppposite direction of the detent.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks Kevin. At some forums, I would have gotten the response, "go do a search, it's been discussed a million times." I really like this site, I love my new P99c and can't for the life of me understand why the P99 doesn't get more press. I bought it after a very disappointing experience with a S&W M&Pc. IMHO, the kinks have yet to be worked out of that gun and a LOT of folks are experiencing problems specifically with the mag catch. I traded the M&Pc for the P99c and the latter has given me no problems, is extremely accurate, and I love the sa/da safe trigger design. It is rapidly becoming my favorite gun.

Now that I am armed (no pun intended) with all this new-found knowledge, I plan to order Meprolights and put put them on myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts