Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range and wasn't able to jam in a full 10-rd magazine in the gun (brand new) when slide is forward (in battery). But the range warden then suggested that i load only 9 rounds and i was able to slide the mag in without extra force. Have you guys heard of this before? Apparently the 10-rd mags need a little bit of give (or space) before you can insert a full mag in. However, when the slide is open, i could put the 10-rd mag in no problems.

Warden said that even though the mags were 'original' they were still outsourced to Maggar (Italy)? Could also be that since my mags were 10-rds, the plastic bit at the bottom may have something to do with it?

·
Registered
18 Posts
i went threw more then 2,000 rounds...And my p99 40cal does the same thing...But i just give it a little more push then normal...Just so you know mine is 03 model..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about giving it a little bit more omph when i jam it in but chickened out and didn't want to risk breaking the thing. But thanks for the anectodal reassurance that it wasn't just me.

·
Registered
821 Posts
It helps to pull down the mag release a bit when inserting a magazine, especially one that is loaded to full capacity when the slide is closed.

That's just a little less force you have to apply to get the magazine to seat properly.

-stunks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the stopping force that is causing the difficulty in inserting the mag? Is it the top of the slide or is it that metal rod that sticks out from the top of the mag well? If it is the former, i would be more inclined to slam the mag home but if it is some metal piece, i might be hesitant in case the piece breaks.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Actually, it's the follower bottoming in the mag. To keep it Clinton compliant 10 round mags have to be tight enough to not be modifiable to 11 rounds. Most 10 round mags for any gun are tight and have similar issues. The metal rod sticking out from the mag well is your ejector and you better hope it's not flexing when you insert the mag or your gun may not cycle or fail to eject. Either would be not good.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yikes. the ejector? that doesn't sound like a piece i would like to forcibly tamper with (ie. by slamming an uncooperative mag in). maybe i'll try to loosen the mag by leaving 10 rounds in there and see if it helps. If not, i'll may have to keep using 9 in the mag or get new ones. dang.

·
Registered
821 Posts
you're working against the magazine spring, an especially tight one when the magazine is fully loaded.

You're pressing the top cartidge up against the breech block on the slide, try to picture it.

Don't worry about damaging the ejector with closed slide, it usually happens instead when you slam home a magazine with the slide locked back (the magazine lip hits the ejector).  

Also, you might try loading and unloading the magazine instead of just letting it sit loaded.  It's "work" that breaks in a spring, not compression.  Give them time, they'll loosen up soon enough.

-stunks

·
Registered
53 Posts
interesting, never had any issues w/oem mecgars of 10rd and 15rd capacity. only thing i've ever heard was that 16rd mags are hard to insert but i've never had any experience myself.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out that even the online Walther user manual says to use "a little extra force" to jam a full clip in with the slide closed. I will do some experimenting tonight.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts