Walther Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a PPS M2 on Saturday. I’ve had a PPQ M2 for while and am looking forward to hopefully as much enjoyment from the PPS.

I have seen a couple posts about the PPS M2 (not many) where people state they did a very thorough cleaning of sorts to remove the “film” or “gunk” that Walther coats on the pistol. In one of the posts the guy said he “soaked the entire pistol for 2 hrs in CLP”.

Wondering if most people do some sort of special or more thorough initial cleaning? And if so, what do you do?

My intent was to simply do a field strip, and clean/lube the parts with ballistol. But being new to firearms (PPQ was my first semi auto) it’s all I know at this point.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
201 Posts
That is really all a new PPS needs... Clean out the factory grease etc and start shooting... Enjoy, it is a great gun...

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I don't do anything in particular other than make sure the bore is clear, drip some oil on the rails and on the trigger bar. If it didn't function properly for some reason (never had this happen) then I'd field strip it and scrub it up real well, including soaking the striker assembly

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
My intent was to simply do a field strip, and clean/lube the parts with ballistol. ...
That ought to be perfectly adequate for a new gun.

If you feel compelled to do anything beyond that, disassemble and wash out the magazine. (Pay attention to which way the spring comes out, and put it back the same way.)

M

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just first cleaned my PPS M2 last night. Did a full cleaning and oven heat to apply Froglube.

It's always possible there's something left over from manufacturing, but you would see something floating around in the slide for it to be harmful. Any new machine needs some running time (a few hundred rounds for firearms) to make sure all the moving parts work together reliably.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm admittedly somewhat O-C about pistol maintenance. My customary new gun break-in protocol:

1. Thoroughly clean the gun with solvent (e.g. Hoppe's No. 9) to fully remove manufacturing sediment and small particles, packaging/shipping oil and grease, etc.
2. Flush gun with 91% isopropyl alcohol to neutralize the solvent. Dry/remove alcohol using compressed air or hair dryer.
3. Apply light oil especially to striker assembly, sear, extractor, disconnector, recoil/guide rod assembly, and other moving parts and springs.
4. Sparingly apply light slide grease (e.g., Brian Enos Slide-Glide Lite) to slide rails and barrel locking lug area.
5. Load and unload magazines about 8x and leave fully loaded until initial range visit. This will "exercise" the mag springs and reduce likelihood of feeding problems during initial use of the gun.
6. Rack slide about 100x to "exercise" the recoil spring and reduce likelihood of malfunctions during initial use of the gun.
7. Dry-fire (with snap caps) at least 100x to smooth out the trigger and accustom yourself to the trigger's feel (travel and pressure).

That's my customary method, though others here may consider it incorrect or unnecessary. Incidentally, FWIW, I think Frog-Lube should more appropriately be named Fraud-Lube.

Good luck with and enjoy your gun!

·
Registered
55 Posts
My PPS was remarkably devoid of Ballistol or any other type of heavy grease/preservatives. It's something I noticed right off the bat, before I even left the gun store.
Having experienced HGS (heavy goo syndrome) before, almost always from former Wasaw Pact countries like Croatia (SA's XD series) and Bulgarian Maks, Polish Radoms, etc, I was pretty jazzed to see just a light 3-in-1 or machine oil lightly covering the internals. I've even experienced light primer strikes from the amount of HG in the striker channel of XDs.

I gave my new Walther a quick rubdown with Hoppes and a couple of dabs of SNO grease on the rails, a drop of CLP at the trigger bar and a non-denominational dribble into the Chinese puzzle at the rear of the frame and I think we're all gtg.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I just picked my M2 a couple hours ago, got a box of ammo, and fired that sucker up. No issues.

I expected a wait on my app, but surprise, surprise, it was approved, so I just HAD to shoot it. I took it out of the box, snipped the zip tie, loaded the magazine, and fired away. Now that I have it home, will I clean it? Yes. But, seriously people, y'all are way overthinking this. Just sayin'.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts