Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited this gun from my dad a few years ago and haven't really researched it much. It was my dad's carry gun but it's never been my favorite for that purpose so I haven't used it much.

I know some of the West German PPKs can be valuable and I went through the serial number information on the site here. It appears this one may be very old (1939?). I was wondering if someone could help me get more information on the gun.

here are some pics:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your PPK/S is not 1930's vintage or '40's or 50's. First "West Germany" was formed in 1949 after the Allied Occupation forces consolidated the 3 allied zones. The PPK/S model is a result of the Gun Control Act of 1968 which banned the importation of the PPK because it did not accrue enough "points" to classify it as a "sporting" pistol. Probably late 70's or early 80's. I'm sure one of the more astute collectors on this site will give you a better idea of when it was made.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your PPK/S is not 1930's vintage or '40's or 50's. First "West Germany" was formed in 1949 after the Allied Occupation forces consolidated the 3 allied zones. The PPK/S model is a result of the Gun Control Act of 1968 which banned the importation of the PPK because it did not accrue enough "points" to classify it as a "sporting" pistol. Probably late 70's or early 80's. I'm sure one of the more astute collectors on this site will give you a better idea of when it was made.
Yup, that makes sense. I knew "West Germany" didn't exist until after ww2 but I thought maybe they were exporting older guns to interarms and stamping them with W. Germany before exporting or something weird like that.

Either way, I appreciate the help and the history on this gun. It's an interesting addition to the collection and a good little plinking gun.

If anyone else is able to provide more in depth info that'd be great.

·
Premium Member
8,557 Posts
Your PPK/S is date coded IA (Walther date codes A=0, B=1, C=2) an IA would be a test date of 1980. The staghorn means that it was proofed at the Ulm proof house. It was imported to the US by InterArms of Alexandria Virginia.

It appears that you have the complete set, weapon, box, paper work and target plus the rest of the "goodies". The weapon itself seems in very good condition. All these things add to the value of the set so while it is not rare it could command a fair value.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your PPK/S is date coded IA (Walther date codes A=0, B=1, C=2) an IA would be a test date of 1980. The staghorn means that it was proofed at the Ulm proof house. It was imported to the US by InterArms of Alexandria Virginia.

It appears that you have the complete set, weapon, box, paper work and target plus the rest of the "goodies". The weapon itself seems in very good condition. All these things add to the value of the set so while it is not rare it could command a fair value.
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Looks like a fine pistol. Except for that 9mm kurz thing. Perhaps someone shoe shined the proof mark and date off of the frame at the ejection port. I don't see a date on the paperwork either not that any of that manners much. You have a good start on mags and I bet it shoot fine...cept for that....never mind, already said that. Ulm pistols are fine examples. Welcome to the club here. 1917

·
Premium Member
1,635 Posts
Perhaps someone shoe shined the proof mark and date off of the frame at the ejection port. I don't see a date on the paperwork either not that any of that manners much.
Everything is okay. There was a change in the late 1970s. The proof marks and the date code are to be found on the frame but at a lower position (between trigger and slide) ever since then. Also, Walther Germany usually didn't date the test target sheet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts