Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Noob to the forum. Wife's father passed away and among his possessions we found a Walther PPK that looks quite old. Serial no. is 6-digits, no suffix, stamped on side of frame: 84xxxx. Been hunting for a couple hours online and not finding anything definitive that I can understand to tell me what year this pistol is, or what it's resale value might be. Any help would be appreciated.

We know he served in the US Army overseas in Germany in the late 1950s, between the Korean and Vietnam conflicts. Our guess is he picked this up while he was over there, but can't be sure.

Sorry for blurry photos...was handholding camera in low light with a bit too long shutter speed.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Looks like a commercial PPK from the mid to late 30's or early 40's. Some of the more knowledgeable member's will know more.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Someone more knowledgeable may be able to add insight, but the piece had a crown over N proofed frame with an eagle over N slide.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Appears to be 1935 production from the serial number on the frame. The slide and frame seem to have non matching proof marks. The Crown over N was pre 1940 and the eagle over N was 1940-44.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Trying to give you a value is hard on that one. Pre-war makes it worth a little more, but it’s condition and non-matching parts remove some of its worth. Having followed PPK prices for a while I imagine you could probably get $700+/- for it.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
The Rev's estimate seems reasonable.
For the OP, how is it mechanically? Do the single and double action work? Does the safety decock?

What does the bore look like?
Moon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trying to give you a value is hard on that one. Pre-war makes it worth a little more, but it’s condition and non-matching parts remove some of its worth. Having followed PPK prices for a while I imagine you could probably get $700+/- for it.
Thanks Rev, that's very helpful. Even just to get a ballpark.

The Rev's estimate seems reasonable.
For the OP, how is it mechanically? Do the single and double action work? Does the safety decock?

What does the bore look like?
Moon
Single and double action both work. Single action pull is fairly light, with a short and surprisingly smooth break after take up. The double action pull seems pretty smooth, but is very heavy. Either way, I can't feel any "grit" in the trigger pull.

It appears that the safety only engages a rotating firing pin block within the slide. When the safety is engaged it does not disengage the trigger nor does it decock the pistol.

The magazine requires some effort to extract, but seats very securely. There is some light, visible surface rust here and there on the frame and slide, including on the metal within the mag well which probably explains the magazine extraction effort.

I'm not much of a shooter, but to my eye the bore is pristine. It looks clean and oiled, and I see no traces of rust or fouling.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
The double action pull seems pretty smooth, but is very heavy.
That sounds normal. The DA trigger on the PPK is very heavy.

It appears that the safety only engages a rotating firing pin block within the slide. When the safety is engaged it does not disengage the trigger nor does it decock the pistol.
When the safety is applied the trigger will stay in the SA position until the safety gets rotated back to fire. Then the trigger will snap forward. That's normal. But if your safety won't decock at all then you have a problem. You'll probably need to see a gunsmith about that.

The magazine requires some effort to extract, but seats very securely.
All of my early PP and PPK magazines drop free. That might just be to due the light rust you mentioned. I would also look closely at the magazine for any dents in the magazine body.

Once you get the safety fixed you'll have a nice shooter. Even with the wear and pitting it has I don't think it looks too bad. I would also resist the urge to have it refinished.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Field strip it and take a pic for us. If the hammer drop lever is missing, that will explain why it won't drop. Some will remove theirs so all the drum will do is block & lock the firing pin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Field strip it and take a pic for us. If the hammer drop lever is missing, that will explain why it won't drop. Some will remove theirs so all the drum will do is block & lock the firing pin.
No need to post a pic. I looked up pictures of the drop lever you mention, and you're absolutely correct. I can see there's a very thin slot in the frame in my PPK where the lever should be protruding. Instead it's just empty. So, I guess it's not really broken, just modified.

Thanks to everyone for the info, you all have been very helpful and informative!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts