Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently inherited an old P38 from my Uncle. I've attached a few pictures and have done some research but would like some feedback as to age and possibly worth for insurance purposes. I greatly appreciate any information you all can provide. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also just inherited a P-38. My question is the identifying numbers. I found 1 under the barrel and 1 on the left side near the trigger that are the same. There is a different 4 number ID on the left side on the slide, that has an “f” suffix. Does this mean I don’t have matching # ? I have done some research and know it was made by Walther in June/July 1943. I know what the f stands for so I’m thinking the gun was made in July because the ID is like 8511 f. The other numbers are 8018 * c. Any info anyone can share would be appreciated.

·
Registered
270 Posts
You are correct, it sounds like a mismatched slide to your frame and barrel. Under the slide is a locking block, it should have the last three digits and suffix on it, hence four places to match numbers on a P38.

I assume you say the slide is Walther (with 'ac'). There is a way to see who made the frame, barrel and locking block too, through the waffenamt or technical inspector stamps associated with the primary manufacturers. These tell who made that part. Walther's is 359, Mauser's is 135 and Spreewerk is 88. There are a few other makers out there of components but these are the big three.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I will look. I do have the 359 you mentioned. Also one other question. Were these made for left handed shooters? The bullets discharge to the left and I’m used to them coming out the right. I like it because I’m left handed, lol. I am just excited finding out a little history of this gun. My husband and I go the the range for practice and love the stress relief I get from shooting. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
270 Posts
They do not make them to accommodate lefties, there's only one ejection side (and only one safety lever side for that matter). As a trainer may have said, "Gewoehn dich d'rauf!"

I caution the firing of original pieces (you indicated that this is not a matched gun). But it's not just collectibility. It is age, metallurgy issues and unknown histories that could create a safety concern.

I have lost one matching but aged piece due to a cracked slide while firing. My consolation was only in that I was able to turn it into a shooter with a P1 slide, eventually parting out the wartime pieces and breaking even. Still, it sucked.
Get a modern reinforced P38 or P1, with heavy slide. They're fun too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts