Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at attachments for my P99. One attachment that interests me is an infrared laser sight. All sites I have visited in the US state that infrared lasers are limited to LE and MIL. Why are they a restricted item? Does anyone have information regarding the export of infrared lasers or the legal details regarding the restrictions?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Infared lasers are restricted for government use due to their use as an almost undetectable aiming device with night vision devices.

Unless you have some 3rd generation N.V. goggles and have an obsession for shooting in the dark, they aren't that useful at all. A visible laser does the same thing for thousands less and no clunky headgear is needed.

Since you are in Canada, you'd have to check with the appropriate Ministry to import an article of war. The U.S. government has them on the restricted export list and an export license would be necessary.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I actually did some research on this a while back when I was wondering why I could buy full autos, night vision and silencers but not an IR laser. Strangely enough it is not an ATF reg. or anything like that, The Food and Drug administration barred them for a reason one would not expect. That reason is because you can’t see them and you don’t blink if you get beaned in the eye by one. Since you don’t blink they can cause permanent eye damage (though to my understanding that is rare, either long time exposure or a pre-existing eye condition.) Blink it’s legal, no blink it’s not. Strange. By the way I am not advocating breaking the law but I have noticed a whole gray market out there for IR lasers. I saw the military one that fits behind the front sight on the M16 to guide in laser guided bombs on a board a few months back and the H&K MK23 Socom LAM units with the IR and visible lasers are not uncommon on certain for sale boards.

Rockets Out….

See Link

IR Laser Regs

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info and link rocket. I figured there must be some unusual reason. Not that common that something is illegal in the US and not Canada. (Except Smoking Pot) I was thinking about getting one for my P99 and a set of NV Goggles. Just for fun. I found several european and asian retailers I can import from with ease. Including one that is both IR and visable. I know that you can own them in Canada... we have them all over at the University I go to and there are retailers that sell them for research and general use.

Oh well... the hunt continues!

·
Registered
86 Posts
They are out there, just need to look around.

Rockets Out...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts