Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got tired of dragging multiple small pistol cases to the range every time, and saw a nice set-up at the recent NRA show.

Mycasebuilder.com had a nice 5-gun custom cut foam liner and hardcase for about $100 - https://mycasebuilder.com/mycasebuilder-store/mycasebuilder-custom-gun-cases/.

Then I saw this case advertised in a Northern Tool mailer - www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200723036_200723036.

In the mailer it's on sale for $19.99, and there's a $5 off coupon included - so at $15 I though it was worth a shot.

Not a bad case -

Standard "pluckable" foam liner.

The tricky part is the fitting and cutting the lower layer that isn't "pluckable". It order to get the pistols to sit upright you need to make a pocket in the lower foam for the grip to sit in. That part is a pain, and a mess of cut foam pieces. I like the "steps" that position the pistol upright, but I've seen others have just a full-length notch where the pistols sit angled with the rear sight as the highest point. That would be easier to do, and probably just fine.

After everything is cut, I found some info that said to use PlastiDip on the foam to give it some rigidity - which worked well. It ties everything together and resists oil saturation. I used almost a full can, about 4 or 5 coats, and it seems to be best when applied heavy.

After "plucking" and PlastiDip -

So there's my $24 (including Plastidip) 5-gun (and 5-mag) pistol case. Not as nice as the $100 case for sure, but better than juggling a bunch of small cases every time.

There's still one opening. I need to do some shopping I guess.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. Looks like a rainy day project.
That's about right.

Make sure you have a decent Shop Vac to pick-up all the tiny static-charged pieces of foam you trim off (if you trim the bottom foam) and ventilation for spraying the PlastiDip after you have it all set.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did a case using the medium-sized Rigid molded toolbox from Home Depot. For my purposes, I did a dual-layer design with my PPQ, Kel-tec Sub2K, mags and ammo boxes. However, the concept is certainly adaptable to your situation with multiple pistols as well. The case is somewhere in the $30-$40 range, plus buying one or more sheets of Kaisan foam, and using a utility knife.

So, all-in-all, about $50 for a fully custom case that has the added benefit of not screaming "Guns Inside"!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
There's still one opening. I need to do some shopping I guess.

I see two pistols that appear to have thread protectors … suggesting you own a suppressor. If so, then I think you know what can go in the other open spot. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see two pistols that appear to have thread protectors … suggesting you own a suppressor. If so, then I think you know what can go in the other open spot. :)
Yes, the PPQ .22 and TX22 do have threaded barrels.

I would like to have a suppressor, but for the cost and red tape I just can't justify it.

I'm slacking - still haven't filled the last spot...

·
Premium Member
13,497 Posts
That really is a nice job. Just wish the cases were still available for $19.99. I'd be all over it. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That really is a nice job. Just wish the cases were still available for $19.99. I'd be all over it. :D
Thanks.

Haven't noticed these advertised on sale at Northern Tool lately, but Harbor Freight had numerous similar cases in a range of sizes (up to rifle-size) in a recent ad.

Probably the same, and the always-available 20%-off coupon could most likely be used (unless it's advertised as a "Super Coupon").

1 - 9 of 9 Posts