Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so I recently took delivery of a PPQ SC (Walther certified pre-owned) and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but one of the very first things I noticed is that the barrel is very loose even while the weapon is in battery.

With the slide fully forward, I can grab the barrel hood very lightly with 2 fingers and wiggle it in every direction with feather light pressure. Up, down, side to side, I can rattle the barrel around even while barely using any effort. The amount of movement is so much (wow) that if I move it quickly I can make a sharp ringing noise from the metal of the barrel hitting the metal of the slide.

I looked at one of the online real size chart things and I would guess the movment is close to 1mm. It is almost just as loose as the slide to frame fit.

None of my P99s, Sigs or any of my roommate's weapons are anything close to this. The barrels on those are very very tight while in battery.

Kind've panicking here... any thoughts?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked that right away, and it all looks fine to me. The gun is cycling rounds fine and function checks fine.

I even checked the barrel with a loaded chamber, and it is still very loose. It does tighten up slightly with a loaded chamber, however it still wobbles easily side to side as well as up and down with only slightly more finger pressure needed to move the barrel......

I am honestly shocked seeing this in a Walther made pistol.

·
Premium Member
13,800 Posts
Well, what ever you do, don't shoot it. But, I'm sure you already knew that. I'd suggest calling Walther and tell em' what you're experiencing with this 'Walther Certified pre-owned' pistol.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, what ever you do, don't shoot it. But, I'm sure you already knew that. I'd suggest calling Walther and tell em' what you're experiencing with this 'Walther Certified pre-owned' pistol.
The worst part is I was about to just bring it to the range straight away and test it mostly due to this little white business card that came in my box:

[WALTHER]
Certified Used - This card certifies that this firearm has been inspected by a Walther Factory Gunsmith.
Serial#:FCW7###
Date: 06/30/2020

I figured with the recent date of the "inspection" I would be good to go.... I am in shock

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I can't believe I am typing this, but there is literally almost as much Barrel Play (BARREL PLAY??!) as there is slide/frame fit play.

I expected the loose slide I know it's normal and its rare to have a really tight polymer pistol. I'm honestly not sure if I even believe people who say their P99 or PPQ has a very tight slide/frame fit because literally every single one ive ever handled has had quite a bit of play there.

This barrel movement is completely new to me though definitely a first

This was supposed to have been inspected a few months ago prior to me purchasing it? I am so upset!

·
Registered
689 Posts
Is your P99 a compact? If so, you could try to swap barrels and see if you are getting the movement in either slide.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
I checked my SC, purchased new and now with a couple thousand through it. My barrel moves side to side maybe a mm, and up n down maybe half that....
If needed I probably get a depth mic and quantify it

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked my SC, purchased new and now with a couple thousand through it. My barrel moves side to side maybe a mm, and up n down maybe half that....
How is this possible? None of my other polymer pistols or any pistol in the house shows any type of significant "barrel movement" while the weapon is in battery.

You can literally rattle the barrel around in mine and if yours has 1mm of movement guessing you can too...

Is this potentially a new PPQ SC problem?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ZoeyB, be sure to tell us what Walther had to say and keep us posted. Thanks
At the moment I am in the process of trying to return it through the original purchase, as the barrel movement and overall condition of this weapon immediately turned me off.

If I do end up getting stuck with it, Walther will be my first call.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wanted to update my side of this, I ended up returning my PPQ SC at a slight loss because of how incredibly loose the barrel lock-up was. Also the overall gun just felt cheap to me. It was loose everywhere including a wobbly magazine, terrible slide frame/fit... I could have dealt with that, but 1mm of movement on the barrel while in battery?????

Compared to my 2x p99s, it did not feel quality even a little bit. Very disappointed in the PPQ SC at least the complete Lemon that I got.

The thing that worries me the most is Justanotherguy's comment though... another one with a loose barrel????

WTH Walther?

·
Registered
487 Posts
I agree, that seems off. However, I don’t own a PPQ SC and haven’t shot one. My P99c has always been 100% solid, as have all my PPQs.

Sorry you lost money. Seems like they should have taken it back rather than burn a customer.....

Dave

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
I have two PPQ SCs. Barrel fit and overall fit and finish are very good. Perhaps a bad run of these guns got into the market???

I can understand just wanting to be rid of it but I wonder what Walther would have said about it if you sent it in???

Also, did you see accuracy problems with the gun when shooting it? Just curious.

Once again, I respect your decision to get rid of it. Your gun. Your choice.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have two PPQ SCs. Barrel fit and overall fit and finish are very good. Perhaps a bad run of these guns got into the market???

I can understand just wanting to be rid of it but I wonder what Walther would have said about it if you sent it in???

Also, did you see accuracy problems with the gun when shooting it? Just curious.

Once again, I respect your decision to get rid of it. Your gun. Your choice.

This is so frustrating to me... Do you even have a good slide/ frame fit??? I know you mentioned overall...

I'm used to a sloppy slide on these but the barrel movement was just so off putting... there are a bunch of pistols between all my roommates and I checked every one the day I got the SC, they were all tight like cement while the SC barrel was rattling around like a darn tambourine....

I love the design and would love to have my own PPQ SC but the one I purchased was just so badly fit and finished that I figured they must all be similar...

Did I truly get such a terrible one?

Anyone else besides Justanotherguy with a heavily fired PPQ SC that doesn't mind checking their barrel lock up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Im surprised if the movement was that bad between slide to frame, etc that you would take receipt from the shop to begin with. Stuff like your complaining about would be fairly noticeable prior to purchase.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Aside from the safety issues @imaoldfart mentioned, a loose barrel will have a horrible effect on accuracy. Those millimeters of play will send your shots all over the place. I can't imagine that that is something that Walther would habitually allow out the door. Otherwise, Walther would end up with a horrific reputation for inaccurate pistols, and they certainly don't have that kind of reputation.

That loosenes also can't be the result of a high round count. I have several pistols with thousands of rounds through them, and each is as accurate as the day I got it, with barrels locking up like vault doors.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Do you still have this ? I got rid of mine. Would love to hear back about this since it seems we both got very bad/loose ones. Did you try contacting Walther? The barrels should not be moving around like that . Even after thousands of rounds all my other weapons have incredibly tight barrel lock ups.

I am still in the market for a PPQ SC but the one I got was so incredibly loose everywhere (including barrel) that it completely threw me off....Next time I'm at my LGS I guess I'll check out some other ones and hopefully find one that isn't terrible

·
Premium Member
1,791 Posts
I'm perplexed by this. I just want to make sure I understand. Are you talking about when the slide is in battery or when it is retracted?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts