Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've wondered what people are using to help improve the grip on their P99s or P99Cs, which I find very slick.
I have been using a bicycle inner tube around the lower grip of my P99C which helps but it still leaves some parts pretty slippery.
How do different methods compared: Talon grips vs traction grips vs stippling? I have tried a Hogue grip on a different gun, Khar CM9, and find it will often rotate after a few shots, moving it's finger grooves to the side. The CM9 grip doesn't normall have finger grooves so it may move less on a pistol that already has the grooves in the polymer.
I have to say that I am a little hesitant to stipple it as I have never done any stippling previously and if I screw up the P99C as not as easily available as P320 or Glock grip frame.
Can anyone recommend any videos on YouTube that give sound advice and show good technique?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I used a grip glove initially for a few months on my P99 and P99c. Then I experienced crazy movement with them when the weather changed. I pulled them off for good almost five years ago and adapted to the factory grip. I haven't experience any problems since but I can feel the difference when I grab my PPQ, PPS M2, and ultimately my M&P M2.0.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The only area of the P99c grip I find lacking is in the heel of my hand/the bottom rear of the grip, where it could use some more material. The texture of the surface is fine.
Oddly enough, the Glock 19/5's grip doesn't seem to be any large than the P99c's, but fills my hand perfectly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Personally I found the P99 grip too smooth, but, I prefer a very aggressive texture.

I originally had Talons on my P99 and they were pretty good. But they started peeling off (my fault). I would have used them again but I finally found someone to texture the grip.

That being said, it did take a while to find someone. I contacted some of the best known places for stippling (Boresight Solutions, Dynamic Weapon Solutions, etc) and they wouldn’t do it.

Defkon 3 finally agreed to stipple my frame, and here is the result:

Pros-
In my opinion, Julius at DefKon 3 knocked it out of the park! (This is his “controlled chaos” texture which I find the best for my taste)

Depending on who does your stippling, you can get a texture better suited to your tastes.

I find the grip better than Talons or inner tubes.

Cons-
It was expensive (but then again the pistol was purchased used for a great price).

The guy who did it is now inundated with orders so it may take a bit to get on his work list.

As pointed out, it may reduce the resale price on your firearm.

Talons can be replaced, stippling is permanent (unless you purchase a new frame)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
I'm happy with the grip on my P99c but you could try a couple of things.

Stiple the back strap, they are replaceable so if you don't like it you can cut your loss and get a new one. For less than $20 you can get a wood burning kit with multiple tips.

If you want to practice, you can try it out on a Pmag or other polymer magazine for an AR.

The other option is the rubber Talon grip, it will give you the grip you need for little money.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
817 Posts
3M rubberized grip tape is snother option to test out grip tape , location on the frame. You could cut small pieces and place at different locations, so you would not experiment with a talon set.

·
Registered
342 Posts
To me, the P99 absolutely needs something done to the slippery grip. I have my P99 series pistols stippled - the P99c on the front and back straps and part of the left side, and the two full size guns 180 degrees around the grip (just recently did that). I did it all myself and am happy with the results, but it is a permanent mod that can effect resale value. I'm not getting rid of mine so that wasn't a concern for me. YMMV, and as relatively simple as it is, be sure you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Personally I found the P99 grip too smooth, but, I prefer a very aggressive texture.

I originally had Talons on my P99 and they were pretty good. But they started peeling off (my fault). I would have used them again but I finally found someone to texture the grip.

That being said, it did take a while to find someone. I contacted some of the best known places for stippling (Boresight Solutions, Dynamic Weapon Solutions, etc) and they wouldn’t do it.

Pros-
In my opinion, Julius at DefKon 3 knocked it out of the park! (This is his “controlled chaos” texture which I find the best for my taste)

Depending on who does your stippling, you can get a texture better suited to your tastes.

Cons-
It was expensive (but then again the pistol was purchased used for a great price).

The guy who did it is now inundated with orders so it may take a bit to get on his work list.

Talons can be replaced, stippling is permanent (unless you purchase a new frame)

That is super sexy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Pros-

Cons-

That looks amazing! Thanks for mentioning them.

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
BigDog, that stippling is (I'll sound like a parrot here...AWESOME).

I use a rubber slip-on grip sleeve on all my PPQ's and P99's.

Even my P99 'look-a likes'. :D

·
Registered
342 Posts
Permanently altering the frame could make it less desirable if you ever wanted to sell it later.
That is true, as you and others point out, and definitely something to keep in mind and think carefully about before having someone else stipple your gun, and especially before doing it yourself.

However, stippling is still the right option for some people. It is hands down more effective and durable than adhesive or rubber grip options, especially for those of us who like a very sharp grip texture. To me, it is more important that the gun I'm carrying is as useful as possible to me right now than it is to preserve value because I might sell it someday down the road. I have it now so I can use it now - if my primary concern isn't usability but sale value, I should just sell it now and get it over with.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I also find the grip too smooth... Used Talons on both the P99c and P99... They work great but for me for EDC-AIWB, they tend to work loose over time.

Changed to a Hogue Handall Beavertail 17040 or 17050 grip sleeve. There is a difference. These work great for me. I will try to upload a pic tomorrow.

Take care.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also find the grip too smooth... Used Talons on both the P99c and P99... They work great but for me for EDC-AIWB, they tend to work loose over time.

Changed to a Hogue Handall Beavertail 17040 or 17050 grip sleeve. There is a difference. These work great for me. I will try to upload a pic tomorrow.

Take care.
I got the Hogue grip that you got for the P99, and it's great, thinking of getting the one for the compact now too. I actually threw it over the talon grips I have, works great! Doesn't slide around at all, much more comfortable

1 - 20 of 22 Posts