Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally, where are the import marks located? I've been looking all over my P5 and can't find any. I haven't pulled the grips off yet. Wondered if there might be some under there. Maybe this P5 doesn't have any either.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Like many pistols I would guess it depends on the importer. Mine has an Interarms stamp on the right side of the slide.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Generally, where are the import marks located? I've been looking all over my P5 and can't find any. I haven't pulled the grips off yet. Wondered if there might be some under there. Maybe this P5 doesn't have any either.

Thanks!

You grabbed the Cat 1062 two barrel from Cabala's IIRC.

These usually entered the US on a US service members "Household Goods" firearm exemption document (when returning home after some time in Germany).

So your Cat1062 (mine too) carries no import markings.

Reactions: GeoNole94

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

These usually entered the US on a US service members "Household Goods" firearm exemption document (when returning home after some time in Germany).

Yes, that was the one. Good to know, as I've looked that P5 over really good and couldn't see anything that resembles an import mark. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Yes, that was the one. Good to know, as I've looked that P5 over really good and couldn't see anything that resembles an import mark. Thanks!

I actually got the receipt with mine, purchased at Ansbach USAFB, around 30 mins north of Ulm.

Attachments

Reactions: GeoNole94

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's cool! Great find there and will be worth more down the road for sure. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
109 Posts

the marking CAT1062 (Catalogo Nazionale=National Catalogue) indicates that the pistol comes from Italy: that marking was the proof that the pistol had been accepted for civilian use, it's like a certification or approval. Each firearms produced in Italy (or imported) has to pass the test bench before it can be sold and once they were marked with a code proving they had been accepted for civilian use. Nowadays they are still checked and verified but it is no more mandatory to mark them with the number of Catalogue.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
the marking CAT1062 (Catalogo Nazionale=National Catalogue) indicates that the pistol comes from Italy: that marking was the proof that the pistol had been accepted for civilian use, it's like a certification or approval. Each firearms produced in Italy (or imported) has to pass the test bench before it can be sold and once they were marked with a code proving they had been accepted for civilian use. Nowadays they are still checked and verified but it is no more mandatory to mark them with the number of Catalogue.

All good info.

The twin barrel (packaged by the Ulm Factory) Cat 1062 P5s in the US market NEVER made it into Italy.

The Italian market P5 Cat.1062 30 Luger was not as popular as Walther had hoped, so rather then having these P5 "slow sellers" collect dust in an inventory warehouse, Walther added a 9mm barrel to the package (no Ser#), tagged the boxes as 9mm, and sold them to US service members thru the Rod and Gun Clubs at the German Bases.

·
Registered
109 Posts
All good info.

The twin barrel (packaged by the Ulm Factory) Cat 1062 P5s in the US market NEVER made it into Italy.

The Italian market P5 Cat.1062 30 Luger was not as popular as Walther had hoped, so rather then having these P5 "slow sellers" collect dust in an inventory warehouse, Walther added a 9mm barrel to the package (no Ser#), tagged the boxes as 9mm, and sold them to US service members thru the Rod and Gun Clubs at the German Bases.
Thank you for the precious info, I did not expect that Walther marked those pistols in their factory, I always thought it was made by the italian importer once they did arrive in the country.

.30 Luger in those years was suffering for the arrival of the new 9x21mm IMI cartridge (simply a 9x19mm cartridge with the brass 2 millimeters longer than the one of the ammo forbidden because in use of Police and Army) so the pistols chambered in 7,65mm Parabellum (I use Georg Luger metrical system ;) ) were not appreciated for personal defense when you could have an almost 9mm Parabellum cartridge.

I always loved the .30 Luger cartridge for recreational activity but I am pretty sure that for personal defense between my P5's in 7,65mm Parabellum and the one in 9x21mm I'd choose the last one.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Ditto, if given a choice, I too would pick 9x21. Would be cool if I could find a 9x21 barrel to go with this dual barrel P5.
I never saw one in my whole life... I'd have grabbed it for sure if I stumbled in one of those barrels.

The availability of original Walther spare barrels (in Italy) is not proved.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Here's the import mark on my P5.

My DeutscheBank P5 and Lang P5 both have that same marking, in the same spot.

In fact, I chose Simpson LTD to handle the import of my outside US firearm purchases JUST because of the discreet marking I saw on a few guns. The awesome service, advise/tips, and employees were a pleasant surprise. A great place to work with.

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
All that is necessary to put a small and not awkward marking on a firearm is a laser engraver. Simpson is the go-to source for many who import firearms here because they are known, as is Bock the known exporter in Germany. Smartest is to use an importer/exporter who consolidates shipments to save on freight and customs clearance fees.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
That tiny Simpson laser-engraved mark is relatively new for them, they really upped their game by going that route a few years ago. Nothing much worse than a giant billboard on the slide or the old dot matrix stamps applied at some jacked up angle like they could not be bothered to even try. I sold a beautiful NIB (and scarce) commercial PP Super a few years ago just because I couldn’t get past the off-angle importer mark on the slide. YMMV

1 - 16 of 16 Posts