Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know from my other posts, I bought my first Walther, a PPS, a few days ago and I've been warming up to it ever since. I'm starting to get used to the trigger and ergos, but I'm curious about one thing.

I don't seem to feel comfortable using my thumb or index finger to activate the paddle-style mag release as directed in the manual. Only my middle finger seems to work well. The guy who sold it to me said that he had to use his middle finger too. What do you all use??? Thumb, index, or the bird?

I know it's not a big deal, I'm just curious.

·
Registered
578 Posts
What they've said. Pretty much just drop your middle finger on your shooting hand straight down to engage the release. You'll soon realize that you can do pretty quick mag changes without ever losing your grip or your target.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Index. There was no conscious decision, it's just what I did instinctively from day 1.

But enough folks use the bird that I may try it out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, ultimately we need to use what's comfortable, but I also noticed that when I try activating it with my index finger, I sometimes hit the trigger. In most scenarios you're gun is empty at that point, but not all. I've never depressed it, but under stress who knows what can happen. With all the people out there using their middle finger, I wonder why Walther just said to use your thumb, and if that didn't work, to use your index finger. Anyway, I haven't fallen in love with the paddle yet, but I like and respect it. Sometimes I fail to strike it with enough force to drop the mag, but I also love the fact that there is little or no danger to inadvertently activating it like we often see with button style mag release. If I ever get a PPQ, I hope I'm able to find an M1.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree, ultimately we need to use what's comfortable, but I also noticed that when I try activating it with my index finger, I sometimes hit the trigger. ...
If you're like me, that paddle will grow on you until you wish all of your guns had one.

I know that seems hard to believe right now, but give it time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you're like me, that paddle will grow on you until you wish all of your guns had one.

I know that seems hard to believe right now, but give it time.
You're absolutley right, and it's not hard to believe at all; that's part of why I'm leaning towards the PPQ. It may have a great trigger, but I thought my Glock 19's trigger was superb. It was light (5.5 lbs.) and I've never felt a cleaner break in a trigger. But I shoot ambi, so I like one hand to function similar to the other. The paddle design does that and I don't have to risk inadvertently dropping a mag.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Using the middle finger is very reflexive - you straighten out the finger, then sweep the paddle as you bring your middle finger back to the shooting position. This makes dropping a mag faster than a button release. The paddle is much less likely to get pushed in a holster, making it safer. Because you don't have to shift the pistol in your hand to reach the paddle, you don't have to come off target, making it faster. Although a relatively new design, I think it shows evolution over a button release.

I have learned to like it so much, I held off on purchasing a PPQ (despite lusting over the trigger for over a year) until I could get one with the paddle release. So glad I waited! That's just the icing on the cake. With my PPS and PPQ, I'm fast, accurate, and confident.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts