Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want the P99, but I am worried about the QA trigger being too far forward, kinda heavy and somewhat uncomfortable.

it kinda comes down to the G19 having more after market mags/parts/accessories/holsters, an (arguably) better trigger, and more cheap high cap mags...

but the P99 is a whole lot cooler looking.

i'm sure they are both just as reliable and accurate...but i still can't decide.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Dave,
I am sure many will reiterate this, but go to a range, rent both and see that way. If the guns are tied after that, what's more important, accessories and cheapness, or cool looking. Either is a good argument, it just depends on what you value. The two guns shoot differently, and maybe its an assumption of mine to consider that how you feel while shooting the gun is paramount, but hey, I am a function first kind of guy.
Wagemage

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i agree totally...how it feels while shooting is most important to me too...unfortunately i truly don't know any range that rents the P99 QA...or even any store that has a QA in stock to dry fire. I will be living in Los Angeles (Burbank) until mid december, then back to upstate NY after...so anyone who knows of anywhere that has the P99 QA in stock (or better yet rents them) would really help.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Get the A/S model. You will be SO SO happy you did. I plan to buy a full size P99 soon. I rented the S&W version 2x, and I just got the compact model last week. I like the SA pull of the gun so much.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Where you from? The AS can be found
Check CDNN they had 2003 models

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just checked 2 distributors
Each has P99 (40) cal in stock in AS triggers.
One shows it as a 2004 model the other distributor does not say.

The 2004 model appears to be black frame and slide with 12 round magazines. the other is military green and does not specify magazine capacity (I'm guessing 2003 model and 10 rounders, based on price)

These are not at the closeout prices that CDNN had.
realize that CDNN is a closeout distributor. They sell only discontinued and closeout merchandise, not saying this is bad. I purchased my 2003 Military AS from them. This is just the niche that CDNN has developed.

many of the mainstream wholesale distributors buy product only direct from the manufacturer at full distributor pricing. CDNN purchases the left overs at greatly discounted prices.

This means that the price of the gun from one source will be closer to the original pricing than it will through CDNN

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i had myself set on getting a 9mm for cheap range practice...one store in my area has a 2004 AS model that i almost thought about...but it was in .40

is there a realiable and easy .40 to 9mm conversion out there? bar sto i think ive heard...?

and about the phase 3 malfunction...i don't think thats an issue anymore

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well in order to get a comfortable handle with the G19 you have to get a rubber grip for it. You ask about more aftermarket accessories for Glocks...but what accessories are YOU planning to buy... just do a total cost analysis. They both have the same finish, equal quality and reliability, the P99 comes with sights, backstraps and other nice features like cocking and chamber indicators...

When I rented a G26 and found I could not avoid resting my thumb on that protruding mag release button which is why the P99 trigger guard release is more appealing. Accidently dropping a mag in a situtation...ya know? Not sure exactly where the G19's is though...just pointing that out.

In the end the cost analysis will show that the glock isn't thaaaat much cheaper and the P99 is more unique and comfortable to hold. You aren't getting married so you can always sell the P99, lose a little on the deal, and know for yourself that the P99 was not the gun for you...or maybe getting a P99 will be the best decision. I myself have rented and shot several different glocks and am looking to get a P99 compact as another alternative to my full size P99.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was hedging between the Glock 19 and the P99. I got my P99 QA last week. The trigger pull is not bad at all.

Here's why I went with the P99:
1) Decocker
2) Visual indicator of cock/chamber status
3) Ergo and style
4) Spiral rifling (Glocks have hex, not so accurate I heard)
5) you don't need to pull the trigger to fieldstrip

Pros of the Glock:
1) a little bit cheaper price, still equal/better quality
2) after-market products a bit cheaper and more available

With the Glock, you have to be absolutely careful when you fieldstrip it as you need to pull the trigger to fieldstrip it. What sold me on the P99 was the rangemaster at my range showing me the hole in the wall of the lobby where a LEO discharged while fieldstripping his Glock.

Features that the P99 has that the glock doesn't, which I like:
I was also looking for a carry, and the cocked/chamber indicators were nice. I feel comfortable carrying a pistol that I can tell if it is loaded/cocked. I also like the decocker- I prefer not to carry a pistol cocked, even DA, but with the P99, a small, quick pull on the slide will cock it in a blink.

One last thing- I didnt like the mag release on the P99 at first, as I was used to using my thumb. Once you get used to using your index finger to drop the clip, it's pretty slick. The mag release is a 'sticking point' for a lot of people, it seems (love it or hate it!)

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]dialectik: I prefer not to carry a pistol cocked, even DA, but with the P99, a small, quick pull on the slide will cock it in a blink.

Be careful when "cocking" that P99 QA you're carrying.  You might accidentally eject the round or jam the pistol when the round partially ejects in the effort to cock the striker of your pistol.

And another thing, this task will be made more difficult in a stressful situation when your motor skills are inhibited, best of luck to you.

Sorry to be a little sarcastic, but I'd recommend not carrying, or carrying around a bit unloaded till you're comfortable with the fact that the pistol will not discharge until you tell it to do so.  

It seems easy to cock the striker with that little short motion, but if you have to draw in a hurry, will you be able to do it before the BG gets to you?  Will you be able to do it and not accidentally jam the gun?  Will you remember to do it at all?  Modern firearms are made to be carried loaded, and ready to go.  There's even a firing pin block in the striker path that isn't moved out of the way till the trigger is pulled.

Bottom line:  I don't, and many others don't, recommend carrying unloaded.  There's simply too many factors working against you in the event you need to draw and cock your gun for it to be able to fire.  A good holster that completely protects the trigger should ease your mind about carrying fully loaded.

-stunks

·
Registered
22 Posts
dialectik,

Thanks for clear comparison P99 and Glock 19. I agree P99 is better. When you were selecting your P99, did you by any chance compare P99 and the newest Beretta - PX4 Storm? If not, maybe somebody else knows specific pro/cons for P99 vs PX4?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I own three P99's all AS...I shoot them all in rotation for USPSA against 1911's and Glocks...I reload my own ammo and have not had any problems so far, I do like the double-strike capability that I have over the other above two...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts