Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read and read on this great forum...I am hoping some of you fine folks could just gimme one or two quick answers before I go Christmas Crazy on amazon and waste my money. I watched the great youtube videos on this site to learn how to clean my very first pistol....followed it step by step with the MPro 7 kit...though the video uses bore gel, I only had cleaning spray, copper cleaner and lube in my kit.

I am about to buy:
Hoppes 9 500 count patches
Tipton 348/35 cal brass jag (i dont like the loop jag that came with mpro7 kit)
TekMat Walther PPQ cleaning mat

Do I need the bore gel if I have the copper cleaner?

I've gone through 700 rds in about 4 visits to the indoor range. Ive cleaned it once. No jams. Everything works GREAT. i am having so much fun.

Also...should i ditch the stock sites? im reading a lot about the trijcon? I am happy to spend a lot on this new hobby of mine...it beats my old hobbies

thanks for all the help...im reading as much as i can on this forum...and i apologize for the questions that have been asked and asked again before...

feel free to add to my shopping list :)

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I can get my firearms spotless with just Q-tips, patches, napkins, a bore brush, and Hoppes solvent. I don't see the need for any specialty cleaning equipment. There may be products out there that would make cleaning quicker or easier, but my firearms all seem to work pretty well with my cleaning routine.

As for the stock sights, I believe they are just placeholders for whatever aftermarket option you prefer. On a defensive pistol, I prefer sights that are not click-adjustable, are metal, and have tritium vials in them so that they can be easier to pick up in dark areas.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think about the only thing with more opinions as to which is the best gun, is what to clean them with. It's just not that critical. Hoppes makes good products. If that's what you have then just use that. It will work fine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Tricky,

When it comes to gun care, KISS. Don't get sucked into all the marketing and internet propaganda when it comes to cleaning and lubing your firearm. Choose to use Hoppes #9, Ballistol, or MPro7. I use Ballistol on everything. And my guns are as smooth as an old iron skillet. Just don't spray it directly into the firing pin hole or you'll gunk up the works. And no, you don't need to clean it every 100 rounds. I once went 2,000 rounds with nothing more than a wipedown with a rag.

And I never heard of bore gel, so I wouldn't advise it. Ballistol in the bore is fine. Let is soak for 5 minutes and run a patch or two through it. One thing I will suggest is running a boresnake through it every few hundred rounds, esp if you use dirty ammo.

Reactions: tricky

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oil the slide rails...

If you're OCD about cleanliness, don't use anything too abrasive because you probably clean it more than you should and will cause excess wear.

Just from my own experience and preference, I tend to soak most porous uncoated parts in Sprinco machine gunners lube or frog lube, just to get the oil worked into the steel. Once that's done, any necessary cleaning is minimal.
"Just spit on it."

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"One thing I will suggest is running a boresnake through it every few hundred rounds, esp if you use dirty ammo."

What does a boresnake do better than a bore brush followed by a few passes of some patches doesn't do?

Thx for the informative responses, keep them coming, I'm trying to learn here. :cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Quick question. I'm new to guns, meaning I'm new to cleaning, so this might sound dumb. But... Can you use a foaming bore cleaner to clean the slide receiver of the frame? Just asking because I read ammonia based cleaners were bad on the ppq's finish, so I picked up the first cleaner I found without ammonia not realizing it said "bore cleaner" ...

·
Registered
191 Posts
You have a quality German made pistol.

Use Ballistol!

Ketchup goes with French Fries. Ballistol goes with German Firearms. :D

·
Registered
430 Posts
You have a quality German made pistol.

Use Ballistol!

Ketchup goes with French Fries. Ballistol goes with German Firearms. :D
Not a dealer within 30 miles of me. I will stick with my CLP. Does anyone still use frog lube just wondering.

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thank you for the link I think maybe I will wait till I see it at a gun show CLP works really well for me. Hard to believe anything is better for me.
CLP is great, don't get me wrong. I just like Ballistol. It works good on rifle stocks too, as the cleaner takes care of leather, wood, and metal. I mainly use it as a simplified cleaner/oil. I've had some other cleaners harm wood surfaces I happened to be working on, and picked up Ballistol on a hunch. It's replaced WD-40 around the house.

·
Registered
327 Posts
And I love the licorice smell. I use it as a hand cream.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am old school. I use Hoppe's No. 9 for the bore solvent and just plain old Outer's gun oil for lubrication. I use a bronze brush attachment when the bore needs a good drubbing out. You don't need a lot of the stuff out there to clean a gun. A good rod, patches, bore solvent, an old tooth brush, paper towels, and some lubricating oil pretty much do it.

Reactions: tricky

·
Registered
2 Posts
cleaning tips

sir, get yourself a hoppes viper bore snake, some cleaner and lube and thats it. of course you can use a brush, q-tips, rags, etc. but the viper is a fantastic tool and will only set you back about $21. it takes me about 15 minutes to field strip clean my ppq and it is like brand new again. hope this info helps. take care and always aim small and miss small.

regards,

david kidd
georgia

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I can get my firearms spotless with just Q-tips, patches, napkins, a bore brush, and Hoppes solvent. ...
Same here and it's been working for me for 50 years.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.