Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used (excellent condition) Interarms PPK/S.
Beautiful gun - looks nearly new.

First, the gun shop where I bought it (huge, established gun shop in Charlotte, NC) claimed that all their used guns were cleaned, serviced, and test fired before hitting the sales floor. Gun appeared shiny and pretty. The guy sold me a box of FMJ ammo with the gun, saying it was the "best thing to shoot" in my new pistol. I didn't recognize the brand, but trusted the salesman, got the ammo and the gun and headed to the range to try it out.

Gun jammed 3 times in the 25 rounds I put through it. I was disappointed, as this gun is intended to be my concealed carry weapon. Not acceptable. Jams cleared easily and the gun was very accurate and okay to shoot (snappier and not as comfy to fire as my Glock 19, but I'm fine with it.)

Here goes the part that has me really ticked off.....

Got home and called Walther to see if I could track the serial number and learn more about the gun (can't do it, unfortunately, as the gun was made pre 1999 and when Interarms closed, they took all their records with them.) I told the Walther rep about the jam issued I had and he said the ammo the salesman pushed at me was very cheap czech ammo that shouldn't have been used in that gun in the first place. He suggested some quality brands that I'm familiar with, so I just chocked it up to me being an idiot for trusting Mr. Salesman in the first place.

Anyway, I proceeded to strip and clean the gun and it was an absolute MESS inside. Completely filthy! No wonder the poor thing wouldn't fire. It was bone dry and nasty - just black everywhere when it should have been silver. I should have cleaned it before firing, but trusted (again) the stupid Salesman when he said their guns are cleaned and serviced before selling. I can't believe a supposedly reputable gun shop would sell something in such crappy condition. Hyatt guns in Charlotte gets a BIG :mad: from me.

Well, the little gun received some TLC and is now clean as a whistle, lubed nicely, and looking brand new. I'm headed out to buy some decent ammo (throwing this other garbage away) and am hopeful that today's range trip will be more successful than yesterday's.

Does anyone here have any advice about turning this neglected little gun into a reliable carry weapon? Ammo preferences? Grease brand preferences? How often to clean? Replace springs? Anything???

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Hi there and welcome to the Forum.......
We know all to well about the Interams records being non existing :(
I can't make recommendations on ammo as I don't have one.... my PP is .22lr
but I can tell you that some good grease (like Miltec1 might be Militec1) is better than just oil on the rail...... do a search and you will find that some mix different brands of lubes....

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I use the Militec grease and am happy with it. My (S&W made) PPK/S works well with Hydra-Shoks, but the firearm was originally designed for ball ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Lots of great info and folks here - enjoy! I've had a 1971 PPK/S since 81 and it shoots anything domestic - hardball or Silver Tips. It is one of my carries. I would write a note to your gun shop owner relay the story. tell him about truth in advertising if he wants your business back and any good words about his shop. I could be wrong but, the birth date is stamped on the barrel shown through the ejector port - next to the Ulm proof mark (stag horns) some one will correct me if i"m wrong. *I should state that mine is German made, Interarms import.

photo

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
the birth date is stamped on the barrel shown through the ejector port - next to the Ulm proof mark (stag horns) some one will correct me if i"m wrong.

photo
While this is correct for the German made ones...... Interarms did not put date codes on the Walthers....

·
Registered
69 Posts
PPK/S-1

My little PPK/S-1 (by S&W) now has approx. 1000 rounds through it. It still
doesn't like my reloads. :mad:

However, it functions just fine with factory H/P loads. I carry Speer H/P in
it.

Shorly after I acquired it I replaced the factory 20 lb. recoil spring with a
24 lb Wolfe spring. It reduced the number of FTF's that I was getting, but
also made it a bit harder to chamber a round from a fresh magazine.

"U pays yer money and U takes ur chances", to coin a phrase.

You can get springs from: http://www.gunsprings.com/

Good luck, whichever route you decide to take. :)

·
Registered
713 Posts
First you didn't say what kind of jams your getting . That info will help alot.
My Interarms PPK/S has ate a lot of ammo in its ife time. I shoot S&B ball for practice all the time. Has never caused a problem My carry ammo is nowCorbon DPX befor that was Corbon 90grHP
Lets do this order new factory recoil spring, hammer spring and new mag springs from wolff springs. Let get all factory weight. springs. I belive that the enginers know what the correct sprinf weight shoud be.
Recoil spring should have a slighty smaller end that goes down barrel (This installed wrong will cause some jams.) Change out all the above springs you will now have a starting point. But new springs ,clean and lubed pistol you should be fine. If you wish to contact me I can be found at http://bersatalk.com That my place come join we talk all makes and models . I will help you if you need directions to change hammer spring. Its about a 15 minjob with 5 finding tools.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts