Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently i've been hearing a lot about messed up recoil guide rods, warped frames, cracked magazines...and even broken trigger assemblies! here is a thread from Glock Talk's Walther Forum:
----------------------------------------------------------
Well, crap! I broke my P99.
Tonight I was going to clean my P99 and when I pulled the slide back to ensure it was unloaded, a small piece of black plastic fell out of the magwell. After ensuring the gun was unloaded, I pulled the trigger to see if it still functioned. When I did, a little metal piece fell out.
According to my manual, the metal piece is the "trigger bar guide" (#17 of the exploded view) and the plastic piece is part of the fire control assembly where the trigger bar guide fits.
Has anyone ever heard of this type of breakage?

If anyone is interrested, it's a 2003 AS model that I bought about a year ago and has less than 1000 rds. through it (mostly WWB).

Looks like I get to call S&W monday.

----------------------------------------------------------

and a few other people chimed in and said the same thing happened to them. I think they had 2003 models.

so what is the deal? I am hoping the newer model P99's made in 2004 or 2005 have better magazines, non warping frames, tougher stock recoil rods, and better trigger assemblies.

As you can tell I really want a P99 because it has such great features and is really accurate. not to mention extremely cool looking. But is the P99 truly reliable, or will it be a maintenence nightmare?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Makes me nervous. I carry my P99AS every day now. But for now I have confidence in it because it went bang every time I pulled the trigger for the past 600 rounds.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm at about 2500 rounds through mine so far and the only real problem I've had is the trigger blade cover pin drifted out on me once. I pushed it back in and it hasn't done it since. Not a single failure to feed or to fire with factory magas and only a slight issue with my generic 34 rounder. I aviod the WWB because it's dirty stuff, I like the CCI Blazer, not to mention it's over $1 a box cheaper.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No no...I do not have a P99 yet, that was just a thread from Glock Talk's Walther Forum. here is the link.

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthr....=431999

and the other info about broken P99's were from other threads i've run across. my guess is that most P99's are reliable and we only hear about the few that break.

i am just trying to decide between a 2005 P99 QA 9mm and a Glock 19. I want the P99 more, but i am starting to think the Glock 19 would be more reliable.

·
Registered
821 Posts
It is a fallacy to let a few reports sway your feelings about the P99. In order to make that conclusion, you'd have to run a statistical analysis. Don't forget, Glocks have their problems too.

I'm not in denial about a problem either. Buddy of mine had the same problem. Walther fixed it right up.

Just try not to believe (or let unreasonably sway your opinion) everything you read on the internet, ya?

-stunks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Keep in mind that the nuimber of P99 owners that post on here and other P99 forums that you're bound to hear about eveything. If you were on a Maytag forum, odds are you'd hear about how their unreliable dish washers are. Now, if you hear about the same failure from multiple people, it'd be fair to say that there's a possible problem. I've heard of a few Glocks kb!ing because of not having a fully supported chamber, and because of overloading the ammo, but that dosen't make them an unreliable weapon. Also, keep in mind, the service S&W provides on the Walthers is quite descent. I personally prefer my QA to the G19, but I've done a fair bit of "tweaking" to make my gun just the way I like it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
From what I understand, it does. The trigger assembly won't release the sear, or if it does, the striker gets caught up and doesn't attain it's full velocity. So, it really is a terminal failure, though it isn't common.

-stunks

·
Registered
160 Posts
The last widespread problem was with P99 mag base plates/followers failing but that has since been resolved in newer models of the P99.

Most "problems" you will read here happen to one or two guys and are freak occurances. How many P99's are there?

The biggest problem with the P99 is that not enough people have them.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Well, I must be one of the rare ones. Mine broke in this fashion after several thousand rounds. The pistol has a serial number of 62xxx. I'd like to know the serial number ranges of those that have had this problem, so that other owners can monitor their pistols.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts