Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I set about a quest to get a P99 a few weeks ago, I decided I wanted a 2005 for the long mag release. I called a place I found online and said that. They said they'd look up the serial number and call walther and see what year it was. Anyway weeks pass as I mail in a ffl and all that. Today I go in to fill out the paperwork to start my 3 day waiting period. Oh no, short magazine release..... I roll it over and its datestamped AE. So whats the deal. Did walther lie to my vendor about it being a 2005 model? Can you have a 2004 model with a 2005 issue serial number or something like that? Did my vendor lie? Any ideas as to what could have happened?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heh I may, I'm debating if I want to call tomorrow or wait until thurs/fri when I pick it up and call walther myself and ask what year the serial number corresponds to. If walther says 2005, then I really can't hold the seller liable for anything I dont think even though I did mention the long mag release. I know I got their last AS until another batch gets imported and I'm not sure that I want to wait and go through the hassle again. If it was their mistake I might ask for a patrial credit and just keep it, I'm sure it shoots just as well even if the mag release is shorter. Any ideas what a dealer's price would be on a 9mm fullsize AS? I would think at least I would deserve credit to get it at cost.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Chances are the P99 ordered was built before the AWB sunset. You'll probably have two 10 round magazines instead of two 15 round magazines. I paid $519.99 + tax at Gander Mountain for my AE P99AS with two 10 round magazines. I managed to get two free 15 round magazines from them because the demo model was a post AWB model. If you decided to keep the AE, I'd push for an $80 discount since thats how much it will cost you to get your 15 round magazines. I love mine, but it's not what you ordered. I'd tell the distributor to pop his head out of his ass.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually there are supposed to be 2 15 rounds with it too, thats a specific purchase point. If not I'll be a doubly unhappy guy

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think the "AS" style and the similar "AD" datecode (among others) is confusing to the consumers. There are so many little variations with cryptic codes, it's no wonder even the gun stores can't keep up.

"I'd like to order a P99C with the AS style, not the DAO, QA, or QPQ, and would like an AE date code". Sheesh!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I could kind of see that, i didn't even mention the date code thing though. I said I wanted a 2005 because of the long magazine release. They said they had to check that for someone a while back and were pretty sure but would check into it. I think they said they'd call in the serial number to see. I will certainly be calling S&W tomorrow to see if they can tell me the year from the serial.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well heres an update. My vendor did call S&W and asked them to run the serial, she called again to see what they'd say now. They are telling her the gun was "born" this july. I have a package of shell casing dated november of last year. They told her that can happen, but to them its still a 2005 model and there was no difference between 2004 and 2005 anyway.

One thing I'm wondering is so far all the pictures I've seen with long mag releases have been .40's. If mine really was released in july I wonder if there are any 9mm's with it? Do you have a 9mm AF?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I noticed that. You'd think if there were AF 9mm p99c's there would also be AF 9mm P99's. So far I haven't seen one though. A cookie for the first person with a fullsize P99 9mm AF
I've seen the .40.... Maybe there is no such beast.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not at all, they seem to be quite apathetic sales wise. Their german website is actually even worse than the US one, which is somewhat surprising. H&K sure have them beat there.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
S&W was no help at all so I emailed their german buddies.

Please be informed that your pistol is a 2005 model. We think that your gun is
from the transitional phase, so some P99s were still delivered with short
magazine release.
You can send the gun to S&W for changing the magazine release.

Best regards,
Carl Walther GmbH

Sweet.......I'm not sure if I'll go to the hassle or not, but sweet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Soybomb @ Aug. 26 2005,14:43)]I noticed that. You'd think if there were AF 9mm p99c's there would also be AF 9mm P99's. So far I haven't seen one though. A cookie for the first person with a fullsize P99 9mm AF
I've seen the .40.... Maybe there is no such beast.
I have a 2005 P99 QA in 9mm with the long mag release.
it was shipped directly to me from walther-usa as a warranty replacement for my 2004 titanium model two months ago.

I know for a fact they are hard to come by right now as I ordered another P99 from my local dealer (hoping for another 2005) but instead was shipped a 2004. no biggie, as the 2004 & 2005 are virtually the same gun.

so I now have two, almost identical twin P99.

John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts