Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the jury still out on how the PPS M2 trigger will feel following the recall rework, if it's worse what would you consider replacing the PPS with?

I looked at a few video reviews on the SCCY. Nothing that flat out said it was the one to get. They have great warranty and factory support. But some don't run well from the get go.

I looked at and handled a Glock 43 at my LGS today but didnt shoot it. Felt comfortable but didn't mold to my hand like the PPS. Trigger felt good. Expensive but a known good choice.

Would need to look at Ruger and S&W's offerings.

Not sure about SIG 365.

Dare I say a Remington R51?

-- Mark

·
Registered
7 Posts
The ruger LC9S, or EC9. I have the LC9S. It felt better in my hand shooting than the shield.

As for me (I live in Illinois) I will never purchase a Springfield firearm after what they pulled here (or Rock River Arms). But that is my opinion.

If you do go for a replacement, handle and shoot before deciding.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
While mine is away I’ll carry my FNS 9c. It’s a little thicker then my pps but still smaller then my ppq. The trigger isn’t as good as the ppq but pretty close to the pps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I looked at G43 and have other full sized Glocks. With the recall I'm thinking I shouldn't have gone cheap with the Walther. I'll probably wind up with the Glock or Kahr. I like Ruger and the LC9s has a great size and shape for ccw, but the slide finish is super delicate...not good for ccw.

·
Premium Member
3,415 Posts
With the jury still out on how the PPS M2 trigger will feel following the recall rework, if it's worse what would you consider replacing the PPS with?

Why spend a lot of money on a new pistol? You could find a good trigger smith who could smooth it out for a lot less. Take a look at this thread starting at post #23. There are more posts re the gunsmith and satisfied customers on this forum.

https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pps/109900-gritty-pps-m2-trigger-3.html#post1143648

Here's his site:

http://www.triggerwork.net/

·
Registered
143 Posts
I looked at G43 and have other full sized Glocks. With the recall I'm thinking I shouldn't have gone cheap with the Walther. I'll probably wind up with the Glock or Kahr. I like Ruger and the LC9s has a great size and shape for ccw, but the slide finish is super delicate...not good for ccw.
Cheap compared to Glock? Walther's QA and finishing is better than Glock most the time, and the PPS is a superior version of the Glock trigger mechanism and ergonomics. Walther also still uses the superior tenifer finish that Glock abandoned, and the stock sights are steel with a better sight picture.

Try the M1. It's awesome. If the grip is too square just throw a Hogue Hand-All Jr. on it. Adds just the right amount of palm swell for me.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cheap compared to Glock? Walther's QA and finishing is better than Glock most the time, and the PPS is a superior version of the Glock trigger mechanism and ergonomics. Walther also still uses the superior tenifer finish that Glock abandoned, and the stock sights are steel with a better sight picture.

Try the M1. It's awesome. If the grip is too square just throw a Hogue Hand-All Jr. on it. Adds just the right amount of palm swell for me.
Yes...PPS M2 is cheaper than G43 by $150 or more.
No slam on Walther quality, but the recall is concerning to me.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I’ve never thought of my pps m2 purchase as being frugal. I find the pps m2 to manage recoil better then the Glock. Less muzzle flip and easier to get back on target. It’s also more ergonomic.

I don’t think the recall is that big of a deal and a reason to dump the pps. I look at it as an inconvenience obviously but not the end of the world.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Glocks have had issues as well, including the G42, 43 and 19. I appreciate the way Walther handled this one. Nothing like the cluster Sig pulled.

I really like the PPS, had a M1 but sold it off. Like the M2 but trigger guard beats me up too much. Much softer recoil than the G43 but at the end of the day I guess I'm just a Glock guy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As luck would have it I purchased a rarely shot Shield Performance Center for $200 just hours before I learned of the recall. I didn't need it (as I already had a PPS M2, a CW9, and a CM9) but I just couldn't pass up the screaming deal. While it is a quality pistol it just isn't quite the quality of the PPS M2. In fact I'd sooner grab the CM9 over the others while the PPS M2 is in purgatory.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Truth is, I probably would not replace my PPS.

I got a little carried away with small single stack carry guns.
Trust me, there is no shortage.

·
Registered
211 Posts

I looked at a few video reviews on the SCCY. Nothing that flat out said it was the one to get. They have great warranty and factory support. But some don't run well from the get go.

I looked at and handled a Glock 43 at my LGS today but didnt shoot it. Felt comfortable but didn't mold to my hand like the PPS. Trigger felt good. Expensive but a known good choice.

Would need to look at Ruger and S&W's offerings.

Not sure about SIG 365.

Dare I say a Remington R51?

-- Mark

Look at Springfield! I have 2, both very solid and no problems! A gun nut friend says to look at S&W shield mod 2.

·
Registered
284 Posts
The SCCY is big and has a horrible trigger.

Remington R51 is a dog; lots of malfunction reports, not somethimg to bet your life on.

The Sig P365 has had a bit of teething troubles, but the latest build version (October, 2018 born-on dates), seem to have addressed all concerns to a satisfactory level. -- This is what I *am* getting, regardless of the PPS recall.

Glock 43 is not bad. Can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Oh, and, not sure how you feel about single-action, metal-framed pistols, but a buddy recently got a Sig 938, and I am quite impressed. Need to shoot it more, but, I really like it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes...PPS M2 is cheaper than G43 by $150 or more.
No slam on Walther quality, but the recall is concerning to me.

There isn't much cheap ness in the PPS.
There is a ton of lowered price to capture market share and the other Mfg. is protecting margins by NOT lowering price.
I have the PPS m2, Shield 9mm, Glock 43, and am familiar with production costs reductions. If I disssembled all three on a
table and let you compare them side by side, as I have seen. . . . The GLOCK was the cheapest to produce.
I'll even make it sound softer, Glock was less expensive.

Is glock a good pistol, Yep !
Is Walther a good pistol, Yep !
Is S&W Shield a good pistol, Yep !
Any of them perfect, Nope !

But its kinda like, what type car do you drive? What works for YOU !

·
Registered
196 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Didn't anger me in the least ! Didn't hear any other barks ..Its all opinion...isn't it ?
(not a glock finatic, 3glock, 5S&W, 2Walther, 1Kimber, 2Colt, 2SpringArm, 2SIG, 1V35 Radom, 1Beretta)

BUT if one out there were FAR superior than the others . . . would we not ALL be driving it?

And retail pricing ... its subject to moving inventory more than cheaper than.
I doubt there is more than $30 that separates the 3 in actual cost.

I do remember a 1K round shoot off .. bout 2 years ago. About 20 micro pistols, 9mm, polymer or metal, <$600.
Shoot same ammo, same targets, benched and same shooters, no cleaning, no repairs, no excuses, break or cough . . . . your out !
Along with the best most consistant targets for that 1K !
1. Walther PPS
2. Glock 43
3. ready for the shock !..................... Taurus 709s ! ! !

take your pick ! . . . . . . the 709s did surprise me !

1 - 20 of 30 Posts