Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm trying to get into IDPA shoots, and I'm meeting with a local guy this week to talk about clubs in the area.

I've got an IWB and a shoulder rig, but these aren't allowed in IDPA shoots.

I'm looking for somthing CHEAP, and weak side mag carrier(s) for at least 4 spare mags.

It's an old style P99 if that matters.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You're likely to get all kinds of opinions, all which will be good I am sure but I will begin with mine.

I shoot USPSA. I have expensive leather holsters but if you want something cheap, will do the job and has a proven track record than, I would suggest a Fobus Paddle. Easy on, easy off. One size fits all models, early and late frames, as well as, the compact.

Get a pair of Fobus double mag pouches and you are good to go. You can get the belt slide too if you wish. I have just found that for the money and ease, you really can't beat a Fobus setup...you can always upgrade later.

·
Registered
32 Posts
IDPA

If your IWB is strong side I don't see a problem. I use an Uncle Mike's Kydex paddle for IDPA. It's not a "carry" holster but it's cheap and legal for IDPA.

4 mags!? If you need 4 mags you're not shooting IDPA. Again, Uncle Mike's paddle 2 mag holder. Cheap and legal.

< $20 each.

chris

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agree with the Fobus paddle and Uncle Mike's Kydex. I currently have a Fobus paddle but I find myself not really into paddle holsters so I ordered the Uncle Mike's Kydex belt holster ($16), hasn't arrived yet. I've used the Uncle Mike's before for a handgun course and although people may not like the Uncle Mike brand, it'll do the job fine.

For mag carriers, besides the Fobus there's Blade-Tech's Injection Molded double mag pouch, goes for $18. On Blade-Tech webpage there's only an option for the P99 40S&W but the 9mm mag dimensions is similar for the Walther P88 (P88 mags are a little longer). From what people told me, Blade-Tech is slow in shipping and b/c Midway had 'em cheaper, I bought their double mag pouch injection molded from MidwayUSA, Midways listed it as "universal", paid $15 but it is too large for the P99 9mm mags. It's really meant for Glock 9mm/40S&W, it's not universal. If I were you, buy the Fobus or order directly from Blade-Tech.

I'm also getting started in IDPA. I'm in Illinois.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I currently have a Tucker "The Answer" IWB.

I was told (I haven't actually bothered to read any of the rules yet) that that would not be legal for Production Class USPSA shoots. That no IWB holsters were legal.

If I don't need a new holster, great. If I do, it looks like Fobus and Uncle Mikes are my options.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
go with the Uncle Mikes

·
Registered
32 Posts
USPSA??

Not IDPA then? That's different.

I use the Uncle Mikes for both.
And you are correct in needing at least 4 mags for USPSA.
Try IDPA also.

chris

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol...I thought they were the same thing.

Oh well, more shoots for me as long as I can afford them.

·
Registered
32 Posts
USPSA-IPSC-IDPA

This is my opinion so...

I think all these clubs came from the same roots. All are fun to shoot.
USPSA and IPSC are very similiar. They have very broad rules for guns. You will see race guns, speed holsters, and very big mags.
IDPA is more a "defensive" style game. You have to conceal your pistol and mags. So they don't allow a lot of gun mods or big mags.

chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts