Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK got all set up for IDPA shooting in Dallas Texas.
My rig is a German 40 with Meps. med palm swell inserts Fobus Tactical

Yu all have any helpful hints on my rig or holsters? The Fobus seems to grap the weapon real tight..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey

I got a Fobus holster for my 99. Im concerned for its tightness..

Please let me know if this holster is too hard on your hand as for wear is concerned

Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
To be blunt....... Fobus is crap.
In every class I've taken or taught, a Fobus has either broken or it has "locked" the pistol in so tight you nearly tore the pants belt loops getting the pistol out.
Get a Blade-Tech or a Comp-Tac Kydex and live happily from now on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The Fobus was also my first holster. Probably will not have a problem with your P99 falling out with this holster. Alternative choices would be either the C-T.A.C. or a Gunleather rig. But of course, go what fits and is useful to you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My blade-tech has been flawless since getting it a few months ago.

For a secure grip, search in the forum for 'dermagrip' or 'derma-grip'. I find the P99 a bit slippery without it. You could also use grip tape etc.

You'll need three mags, but with five you'll be recharging less.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My Fobus has been okay. It is my first holster and was extremely tight when I first bought it, but now it is pretty smooth and I still have no worries of it falling out. Guess it just needed time to break in and for me to get the technique down. Okay holster for the price...

With that said, I am now looking to upgrade to a nice leather one...looking for something a little smoother and for something with class

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know it's not a tactical rig, but for off-duty carry, I use Galco's Fletch High-Ride (#FL418B  www.usgalco.com)
 I have tried a lot of off-duty stuff and most of it is crap. This is one instance where you get what you pay for. I carried my Ruger P93 for a lot of years and the Galco rig is by far the most comfortable. (It now sits in my gun locker after being replaced with the .40 P-99!)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Galco makes a fine product. I've got the F.L.E.T.C.H. and the Concealable. Both are very well made. Sidearmor also makes a good Kydex for the P99.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used a fobus for a long time. Initially it was too tight. I heated with a hair drier and boiling water and it helped a lot. In retrospect I don't know why as Fobus is not Kydex, but it did.

If you snap the pistol straight up it helps too. Towards the end, I took a piece of paper and wedged it between the halves at the trigger guard to force them apart a touch (still plenty of retention) and it got better.

I've since moved on to better quality kydex holsters for all my stuff. You can make fobus better, but they are still slower on the draw than Kydex from the better makers IMHO.

HTH,
-K

·
Registered
12 Posts
Non-roto version of the Fobus holster for P99 is fine for IDPA.
Quick trick is the spray some Armor-All in the holster and
wipe it dry. The gun slips in and out just fine. Little or no
wear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts