Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just returned from the range after firing about 500 rounds.
This puts about 50-60k rounds through my P99. I had no problems at all at the range. When I left, I put my carry ammo back in and racked one to the chamber, de-cocked and left.

When I got home, I dropped the mag, racked out the live round, and pulled the trigger to fire prior to cleaning. Nothing. I can de-cock, go from DA to SA, but the striker will not hit. I have perfect trigger tention and all, but it seems that the trigger needs to go back about a hair to drop the striker. The cocked indicator works, everything seems to be ok.

Just not firing. Any clues?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Have you pulled the slide off to see if there's anything caught in the trigger mechanism? Maybe a small piece of debris that's preventing the trigger from traveling that last little bit to release the striker?

When was the last time (if ever) that you did a detailed strip and cleaning? Any chance there's build up in the striker channel? Or in the trigger mechanism?

Those are the first things that come to mind....let us know what you find!

Jim

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I concure with Navy, check to see if you've got some crud somewhere. Maybe even in the striker assembly. You're manual will show you how to take it apart.

·
Registered
141 Posts
im paraoinc or just i read a lot in this board

but i heard a lot of problems in p99

strikers problems
mags base plates
trigger pinch in 03 models
qa not reset fast
a few jamings

im waiting for my p99  that is in back order

but im in defensive way or just scared sometimes i thing that p99 is not a trust gun, i know is accurate but i dont know
sorry but that is my IMO

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
StoppingPower,

I've had one issue with all my P99's presently and previously owned. I've had 10 at one time, now down to only 4. The issue I had was on one of the first .40 P99's (serial number 300 something) that had the premature slide lock. It was fixed with a new slide lock spring.

All my other P99's have functioned flawlessly. I've used them extensively in IDPA and IPSC competitions. And they've all ran better than any other gun I've had. Never a problem. One of my P99's has close to 20,000 rounds through it, and another over 10,000.

So when you hear of all these problems, sometimes you need to take it with a grain of salt. Some are real, like the mag base plates on the .40's and the slide lock issue, but other problems may be attributed to the shooter and/or ammo.

When you get yours, buy different brands of ammo and see which works and groups best. If you reload, play with your loads until you find one that your gun likes. I would bet, you'll be happy with your P99.

I'm so happy with mine, that I went back to using it for CCW, because my 1911 gave me fits one day at a steel plate match. I've never had problems with my P99.

Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
141 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ April 14 2005,9:17)]Well this report is from a gun that apparently fired 50 to 60 thousand rounds. I'd say it was due for a failure
well im not talking about this gun that fired 50k rounds im talking in general about the issues in p99

·
Registered
539 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stoping Power @ April 18 2005,5:32)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ April 14 2005,9:17)]Well this report is from a gun that apparently fired 50 to 60 thousand rounds. I'd say it was due for a failure
well im not talking about this gun that fired 50k rounds im talking in general about the issues in p99
Then you'd better learn board etiquette and not hijack a thread. This conversation was about a failure after 50K rounds and you start complaining about P99 unreliability. So yes, you WERE implying you were talking about this gun.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Zoyter,  I think I had this problem.  Pull the slide off.  Pull on the trigger and watch the area normally under the rear sights. I had a piece break in this assembly and it would not fire.  Since it only had 100 rounds thru it they replaced the whole assembly(it is held in by dowel pins) but that piece is listed seperately on the parts schematic.  If this looks like the problem look up my old post.  I have heard of 1 other person experiencing this.
I was bored and found it for you.http://www.gothammarketing.com/bb....alrusit

·
Registered
141 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nocturnal @ April 18 2005,6:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stoping Power @ April 18 2005,5:32)]
[b said:
Then you'd better learn board etiquette and not hijack a thread. This conversation was about a failure after 50K rounds and you start complaining about P99 unreliability. So yes, you WERE implying you were talking about this gun.
i know the subject here is about a 50k rounds p99

i was complaining in general about the issues

maybe i have to open a new open topic about it

chills Noct

·
Registered
186 Posts
The issue is this, people don't write to this forum to say how great the P99 is. They only ask questions when they have a problem. For every problem, there are probibly 100's that have had no problems at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't know if you saw my post earlier...but i just got my gun back from smith and wesson for what sounds like exactly the same problem. The paper included with the gun said they had to replace the sear. Hope this helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts