Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I'm a (VERY) new guy to the forum. I have been carrying another manufacturer's gun as my EDC for about 6 months now. Did my due diligence, research, and asked questions. Now, after about 900 rounds, I've run out of patience. The trigger pull on this firearm has me feeling like I'm trying to milk a cow to send one round down range. This weapon I currently own would make a formidable tool in a less than 3-4 yards encounter, but beyond 7 yards, I cannot consistantly hit an 8" plate. About 6-7 rounds out of 10 round mag is about the best I can consistantly average. I did try to lighten up the trigger pull with a 3.5 pound connector, but still, my groups are much more open and inconsistant than I can get with my old Baretta model 92, by an embarrasing margin. As I was leaving the range, a gentleman was arriving, and let me run a magazine thru his Walther PPQ. I was very impressed. I grouped every shot in one ragged hole. Not even one flyer out of the group. I am definately trading, but don't want to be hasty. I thought I would join the forum, and ask the the brain trust....what are your ideas on the best EDC Walther. My current carry is a single stack 9mm, but I am not married to that idea. Oh, I wear an XL glove, am 6'1, medium frame guy, 220 lbs. I hope that's not info-overload, but thought that may be helpful in advise.
Thank you gentlemen in advance.

·
Premium Member
13,791 Posts
Hello Chuck. PPQ is a fine weapon.....it's what I carry 99% of the time. But Walther has other offerings as well. For a weapon in the same size category as the PPQ, there's the P99. The P99 AS has a DA/SA trigger system, including a de-cocker. Allowing you to carry the pistol in DA.

Then there's the smaller pistols....PPS, CCP, PPK.

Picking an edc is a very personal decision, encompassing many factors. Again, I chose a PPQ as my edc. Carry OWB at 2:30ish in a Safariland holster or one of my home made kydex/leather holsters. For the most part, the Safariland is for 'open carry' and my home made holsters are OWB and for concealed carry.

Right now, as I type this I've got a PPQ M2 5" with milled slide and Shield RMS strapped on, riding in one of my home made holsters. Had to make a run to Walmart this morning and pick up another case of Ramon Noodles. :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
My EDC is either a Walther PPS, or if my clothing allows, a Walther P99. I own several carry guns from S&W, Beretta, Glock, NAA, and Taurus. IMHO, there is no finer carry piece than the PPS. Its compactness lets you wear it with almost anything. The ergonomics of the grip make it a pleasure to shoot, even with the flush mount mag, the trigger is great, and the M2 LE model comes with three mags, 6, 7, and 8 rounds. I added MagGuts internals to them all so they now hold 7, 8, and 9. It has decent night sights, and the recoil spring helps to mitigate felt recoil.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
As mentioned Walther has great options. I have a PPQ M1 and it serves as my home defense weapon. I primarily carry a P99 compact most of the year because it is very versatile. My other option has been my PPS M2 for about four years.

In the end it's up to you and what works best for you but there are very good options here.

Reactions: CavGuy

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Consider the P99C: concealable, great DA/SA trigger. I feel a DA trigger is safer to carry than the lightweight SA of something like a PPQ.

Although I have no personal anecdotes to rely on for this opinion, I think one should consider that 21-30 feet is probably as distant as one should want to go to defend oneself in an encounter. It is personal *defense*, shooting someone 50’ away would be more difficult to defend in court, IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Consider the P99C: concealable, great DA/SA trigger. I feel a DA trigger is safer to carry than the lightweight SA of something like a PPQ.

Although I have no personal anecdotes to rely on for this opinion, I think one should consider that 21-30 feet is probably as distant as one should want to go to defend oneself in an encounter. It is personal *defense*, shooting someone 50’ away would be more difficult to defend in court, IMO.
Point well taken re: 21-30'. However, after watching the video of the church shooting in Arlington, TX, I think most here would agree that the shot was necessary, prudent, and correct. I am one of the individuals who engage in similar 'overwatch' at out house of worship. With my current weapon, I don't think I could've made that shot. I think I am capable of making that shot with other firearms I own, but not my current EDC, thus, the original question. I've heard some great comments, and would like to have some kind of understanding of the different models before I go to the LGS to shop. Again, much thanks to all here.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Point well taken re: 21-30'. However, after watching the video of the church shooting in Arlington, TX, I think most here would agree that the shot was necessary, prudent, and correct. I am one of the individuals who engage in similar 'overwatch' at out house of worship. With my current weapon, I don't think I could've made that shot. I think I am capable of making that shot with other firearms I own, but not my current EDC, thus, the original question. I've heard some great comments, and would like to have some kind of understanding of the different models before I go to the LGS to shop. Again, much thanks to all here.
I carry a longer barreled gun to church because my clothing supports it and the scenario is different than defense on the street. I'll carry the biggest gun I can comfortably carry and conceal. That's why I have both the PPS and the P99.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was carrying a PPS M2 in a tier 1 holster with a wing claw.
Bought a PPQ M2 and ordered a JM Kydex AWIB holster and it doesn't conceal quite as good as the PPS but it's very close and at times feels more comfortable. I have read that it's sometimes easier to carry a larger gun and now I believe it.
The PPQ M2 will be carried most days.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,302 Posts
Chuck, that guy in the Texas church had icewater in his veins. There's damned few who could make that shot, and even he could have had trouble 10 out of 10.
Man has to recognize his limitations, and a 40' shot, in a crowd, under stress, in a fluid situation...
From you initial remarks, presume your troublesome gun is a Glock (...'connector'...), and have to tell you that their triggers are a challenge. They are sproingy, and not for everyone. Fire with your distal joint, not your pad. This will be true with all striker guns, not just Blocks, tho' SIGs have a nicer trigger.
Whatever you choose, get something powerful enough to be effective, but small enough you will actually carry it. A mouse gun in the pocket beats a howitzer at home.
Moon

·
Registered
318 Posts
Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation. My carry pistol is a p99. At times I carry a pps. both are great carry pistols and both have the paddle mag. Release.

·
Registered
9 Posts
PPQ 4" in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II virtually every day. Best trigger in any production polymer gun I have tried. Better than most Glock replacement triggers. Ergonomics are fantastic.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I don't know what kind of experience you have with firearms in general, did you seek out any training to help with any personal error's you might be having? It could be you and not the gun. Just saying. You could have issues with a Q due to how sweet the trigger is in it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^It absolutely IS me, and not the gun. My issue is that the trigger is just not something I can seem to work out. As I indicated in the O P, I don’t have this issue (wide-spread group) with my Baretta, or a Sig 229. This firearm, while a great, comfortable to carry gun, is not a firearm that I can get myself to shoot groups I know I am capable of. A 7-8 lb trigger that is “sprongie” (as one member has described) is not going to work for me. My (limited) experience with the PPQ, while only one mag....I put every round into one, ragged hole. While I appreciate the advice (seeking training, learn this gun, etc), that is not the advice I am soliciting. I’m simply asking which Walther you prefer as EDC, and why this model vs another model?
On another note, I have attended many training events, and take instruction well, I think. I can always benefit from time with a good instructor

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Cool good to know. :)

Are you more of a DA/SA shooter? If so then the P99 if you can find one would suit you. Many members here believe the P99C is the ultimate carry gun.:cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Vandal320. I have two Sigs, a 229, and a 220. The 220 has a de-cocker, the 229 does not. I prefer to shoot the 220 for that reason, however, it is too bulky to be an every day carry gun. For that matter, the 229 is a bit heavy to routienly carry as well. I really like the trigger on the Walther, and that is the primary reason I'm gong to switch brands. Hope that answers your question.

·
Registered
47 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
To chime in here, I have two pieces of advice, for what it's worth (YMMV):
1) tons of people carry Glocks all day, every day, with great success; the one thing I like about the "awful" Glock trigger is that no matter which model I carry (as long as it's stock") they all feel and function the same. For training and carry, there's a lot to be said for that
2) if you want to carry a Walther, I have to say that the PPS M2 is sublime in terms of handling, trigger, and profile....it's a great choice. If you want something bigger, the P99 is a great choice...I really like the decocker.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts