Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with when and where a PP was made? S/N is 777xxx (all numeric). Can't find any other markings on frame.

·
Registered
78 Posts
GSP228,
Does the pistol have a ninety degree safety? the Crown over N proof mark? Marked Walther Zella/Thurs? Serial number on frame only?

If so, sound like you have a very early 1930's PP, maybe even a second variation with the C spring hammer block (careful with that, ask me how I know).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has the 90 degree safety and the s/n is only on the right side of the frame. The only proof mark I can find is on the barrel in the ejection port and I can't make out what it is. As for markings, there are some on the left side of the slide, but someone before me did a poor re-blueing job on the gun and you can't tell what they are, either. What would ballpark value on this gun be? It's a good shooter.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A number of years ago when I used to sell guns for a dept store we got a shipment of used 32acp PP's to sell. One that really caught my eye (and should have bought) was one example that had the number "65" on the bbl. hood, the year I was born (1965) and the year it was made. I still had the original flap holster with the german police officer's name written inside the flap, it also included an extra magazine.

Who knows, your may have a date code on it somewhere similar to those we had.

·
Registered
78 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tom Blasing @ April 19 2004,8:59)]A number of years ago when I used to sell guns for a dept store we got a shipment of used 32acp PP's to sell. One that really caught my eye (and should have bought) was one example that had the number "65" on the bbl. hood, the year I was born (1965) and the year it was made. I still had the original flap holster with the german police officer's name written inside the flap, it also included an extra magazine.

Who knows, your may have a date code on it somewhere similar to those we had.
Nope, he has a pre war PP. No date stamp on these.

As to value, as it has been refinished and most of the inscription taken off the slide it has little to no collector value. It is possible that it could make a good parts donator (from lower), but I would say $300 tops.

The proof mark you can see should be a Crown over N. This should also be on the end of the barrel itself, as well as on the right side of the slide (just below the ejector port).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lettering on the left side of the slide hasn't been taken off, it appears to be covered over with a thick coat of blueing. Also, the proof mark looks like an eagle with upstretched wings with a mark (I can't tell what) over it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just fieldstripped the pistol again and went over it with a magnifying glass. I cannot find any proof marks on the end of barrell or the right side of the slide, however there is a mark of some sort of mark inside the slide. It is at the top of the slide next to the ejector port.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (GSP228 @ April 20 2004,8:26)]Also, the proof mark looks like an eagle with upstretched wings with a mark (I can't tell what) over it.
Your PP sounds a little strange to me. You say its serial number is 777xxx and it has the 90 degree safety. This would date the pistol around 1929-1931.

Then you state that it has an eagle over N proof mark. This would date the pistol somewhere after April 1943. However, Walther stopped making the 90 degree safety in 1938.

So, something fishy is going on here. Either you've got a PP that was put togther from parts left over during the last ditch efforts to get weapons out at the end of the war, or you have a PP that was assembled later from parts in some gun shops back room.

Can you post any pictures of it?

Is the eagle proof mark your seeing on the barrel shroud or on the slide or frame?

·
Registered
83 Posts
That prook mark with the Crown over the N should be an East German nitro proof mark according to the "Official Guide to Gunmarks, 3rd Edition" by Robert H. Balderson.

The Eagle over the N is much more common, my Sig Sauer P228 has it on the bottom of the slide at the muzzle.

Pending on the shape of the bird it could either be a German Definitive nitro proof, c. 1939-1945 or a West German definitive nitro proof. Again, sighting from the same book. Picked up a copy at Cabela's in Michigan a couple years ago.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Try posting on the Walther Germany web site and ask a guy named Dieter Marschall. He's a Walther Historian of sorts. He may have more insight into this.

www.carlwalther.de

1 - 10 of 10 Posts