Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the local sports store here in town and I saw an AD date coded P99 in one of the cases. Someone had sold it to the store. I asked to check it out, and it looked to be in better shape than the P99 I bought last month! Now, I clean my P99 after every trip to the range, and I have put 300 rounds through my AF date coded, OD green, 9mm, and the frame is a little chewed up in some places.

But anyway back to the AD date coded one. It is an all black 9mm with an AS trigger. It doesn't say AS on the slide, it just says "Walther" in white and "P99". Anyway, when I checked it out, the frame wasn't as worn as my OD green P99, and it looked to still have the factory grease inside as well.

Well, since I am not an expert in p99s I don't know if it is in good condition or not, but I didn't care because I bought it.
That is why I will be in the doghouse. I charged it to my credit card, and now I have to hide it from the wife until I can break it to her easily that I bought another P99 in less than a month.

I do have a question though. What are the common wear points on the inside of the frame for a P99? As I said, on my OD green AF date coded P99, it looks like there are a couple of points that were "melted" in the area where the recoil rod & spring would be if the gun was assembled. I don't think there is anything from the barrel that can "melt" the inside of the frame in that area but I just wanted to know if anyone else has this sort of wear on their newer models. The AD coded one I just bought does not have these "melted" areas.

So anyway, sorry for this being so long, I would post pics but I haven't figured out how yet.

But to sum this up. I will be in the doghouse when my wife finds out I bought another P99 in less than a month, and a used one at that!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to tell you, they also had one of the Y2K commemorative P99s in the case as well.  I forget what number it was, but apparently only 2000 were made.  It was a bit too pricey for me, but it would be cool to have.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Congrats on the P99 purchases! Say, if you like the Y2K P99, this might bring a tear to your eye though. Seems this guy sure got a heck of a deal. Note that the condition is "new old stock" as well.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=37998130

As for posting pics, I've seen other folks using "free" hosting providers on other forums. While I haven't used these guys myself, this site could be handy:

http://imageshack.us/

I'll be trying them out soon...

Post the pics of your frame and I'll compare to mine.

(FWIW, I have no relation with the buyer/seller or Imageshack above.)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have two P99's and two P22's and am in the process of obtaining a P99c...I have a wonderful golden retriever...and he doesn't mind sharing his dog house...and I don't mind sleeping in it from time to time either...let's just say I wouldn't do it for a Glock...

·
Registered
821 Posts
I thought I'd be in the doghouse when I broke recent news to my wife....  

BUT, she gave me the A-OK to go ahead and purchase that Kimber I've wanted (Raptor)  

I love her so much, and no doghouse!

-stunks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Back to your original question. I've got an AD date coded P99QA 9mm and I've got about 1500 rounds through it so far (been shooting mostly rifle on the 300 yard line lately) but I can't find any wear makrs on the frame. There's a few marks I made while dremeling the trigger blade to make it a bit more comfortable, and a few visible scratches inside the magwell, but as far as the frame goes, nothing. The slide sits about 1/8" off the fram and rides on 4 metal tabs and as far as I can see there's no marks of it touching anywhere. I've dumped my 34 round mag as fast as I could a few times and hot swapped the 15 rounders till the gun slide was too hot to touch to rack the gun, and have no melting or marking of any kind. We'll see when I get to 10,000 what it looks like I suppose.

BTW, only mods I've done to mine have been to reshape the trigger blade and guard a bit for comfort, swap in a 4.5" Wolff Glock striker spring, and I polished the contact points for the trigger system to make the trigger a bit crisper, though that's hardly noticable.

Also my slide is stamped P99QA and SMITH & WESSON SPRINGFIELD, MA U.S.A. along with the Walther logo on the left side of the slide. On the right is just the serial number and proof mark. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not so far. I've run CorBon 127 +P, Hydra Shock 127, WWB 115, and CCI Blazer 115, and not a single failure to fire yet. And it feels a whole lot better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts