Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new PPK/s that will only shoot Velocitors or Stingers. Anything less than 1400FPS will not function. It even has FTF and FTE's with Mini-mags. I've shot about 400 rounds through it and hoped that it would be broke in by now. I clean it after every range visit. I want to like this this gun. It's fun and feels well made, but only functioning with high priced ammo kind of defeats it's purpose. I'm considering contacting Walther. Has anyone had any success doing that?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Last time I contacted Walther was about two years ago when my P99 would just start dropping mags after half of the shots were expended. Recoil was causing magazine to shift and lift off of the mag catch, and in movement, bypassed the finger holding mag in and it would just drop. They did their magical surgery and fixed it up and it hasn't happened since.

I was on the phone maybe a total of 10 minutes and I had a tech answer my questions and get me set up for a fix. Like I said, this was years prior to this hysteria we are in the midst of right now. There are a few threads on here griping about peoples recent experiences contacting CS. Best thing I can tell you to do is give it a try and get a feel for yourself first hand as to what they can do for you.

It sounds like a break in issue still to me. 400 rounds is a lot, but it is still not the whole kebab. Some pistols (my 1911 prize shooter for example) took nearly 1000 rounds to get all the kinks worked out. Surfaces needed to burnish, burrs needed to be worked off, fits needed to settle in, lugs needed to seat out and all. .22lr, while it can be stout, it is a relatively weak round, exerting just enough blowback to work your action. That high velocity stuff will/should do the trick. Mini-Mags are good rounds to use, even though they are giving you failures currently. Keep cooking off Stingers and Velocitors until it eats up the Mini-Mags. The P22, when that originally came out, really only liked hot ammo. My father has a SIG Mosquito that won't shoot anything under 1400 fps, or it just has a hissy fit.

Still contact Walther CS, I wish the best results for you.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Try this.... remove the slide and check for wear marks. If you find any (any you will) put the slide back on minus the recoil spring. The rack the slide by hand several hundred times. The more the better. Much less expensive than shooting and being frustrated. Mine took some time and lots of shooting before I found the above on Utube as a way to reduce break-in time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I will try working the action and if that doesn't help I'll contact Walther. I really like this gun. People knock it because of the Zamac, but it's heavy (not plastic), accurate, fun to shoot, and easy to take down.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am considering getting an extra recoil spring and cutting a half ring off of it to reduce the pressure. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think that your first instinct is spot on. Call Walther service DIRECT--(479) 242-8500 Ext. 507-- and speak to someone there about your problem.

I suppose that it's possible that there is something wrong with your Walther/Umarex PPK/S .22 if it won't function correctly with '..high velocity..' (1,235+ fps) CCI Mini Mags (both solid & hollow point). I've put several thousands of rounds of Mini Mags through PPK/S with too few failures (feed, eject or fire) of any sort to recall...as well as several thousand rounds of Remington Golden Bullets (1,280 fps). I've a couple of friends that also have Walther/Umarex PPK/S .22 that have each also put at least a few thousand CCI and GB high velocity through theirs with similar results. I've also put a few hundred rounds of '..hyper velocity..' (1,400+ fps) through my PPK/S without problems....but don't see any advantage to the higher velocity ammo vs simply '..high velocity..'...and the potential for excessive wear.

It's possible that you may not' have cleaned and re-lubed your pistol as well as you might've when you took it out of the box before taking to the range...and it's still a bit '..stiff..'.. or you could rack the slide a few hundred times by hand to see if that helps (??). I doubt that trimming the one that's installed will correct the problem (??). If you don't want to send the pistol back to Walther for service/repair under warranty.....then try to get them to send you just a new OEM recall spring. That may resolve the problem (??)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Have to agree with KDKSAIL. I’ve put several thousands of rounds each of CCI Mini’s, Stingers, Velocitors, and Remington GB’s and have had few issues. (Except for my recent issue with a bucket of GB’s) Most of the time I have issues is when the thing needs a good cleaning, or an audibly weak round. even the good guys put out a bad round.

I doubt you will be please with a weaker spring. They are fairly light weight as it is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have to agree with KDKSAIL. I’ve put several thousands of rounds each of CCI Mini’s, Stingers, Velocitors, and Remington GB’s and have had few issues. (Except for my recent issue with a bucket of GB’s) Most of the time I have issues is when the thing needs a good cleaning, or an audibly weak round. even the good guys put out a bad round.

I doubt you will be please with a weaker spring. They are fairly light weight as it is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a range update. I did what KDSAIL said, removed the spring and cycled it by hand about 300 times or so. Then I cleaned and lubed it well. This weekend it functioned perfectly. I shot about 100 rounds of Mini Mags (40 gr and 36 HP along with the new Clean 40 Gr) with no issues. I didn't shoot any Velocitors or Stingers. I believe it just need to be exercised. I always clean and lube my guns after every range visit so I knew it wasn't that. This is a fun gun to shoot. Thanks for the recommendations. I'm glad I don't have to send it back to Walther.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think that you'll come to like you PPK/S .22 a lot more when you've come to terms with the HEAVY double action trigger pull and the standard sights.

There really ain't much that you can do about the double action trigger pull....short of disassembling the system and polishing the surfaces (??) which requires 'smithing skills (or things could go horribly wrong).

As for the factory sights...simply painting the back of the front sight with a high-contract paint (few 'skills' required) and perhaps painting vertical, high-contrast 'stripes' on the inside face of the rear sight (a fine brush and a steady hand is all that's required) will make a significant difference in picking up and holding the 'sight picture'.

Of course its strictly a matter of personal preference and '..feel..'....but I added a set of wooden grip panels to replace the OEM plastic grip panels-- GRIPS4u.net --(specifically produced to fit the Walther/Umarex .22 PPK/S) which improved the '..feel..' of the pistol in my hand.....and look pretty good too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those grips look very nice. I'm OK with the sights. They aren't hard to pick up. I had a Beretta Bobcat that basically had no sights, so these are pretty good. I don't even try the double action trigger. Rack it and shoot!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sights on a Beretta Bobcat ?? Damn...I've always thought that they were rough-finishing imperfections in the slide. Sights ??...Really ??...Well, go figga' !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts