Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but damn it, most the posts here are complaints! I held a CCP M1 and immediately liked the feel more than my PPS M2 (which has amazing ergos), but when I went on the forum and saw videos all I could see were negatives. Then I find out the M2 is outhere and you dont need that counter intuitive tool anymore. (I mean if its meant for less handicapable people with arthritis and such isnt contorting your hands and using a proprietary tool much more difficult than say the PPS' or Creed's simpler mechanisms?) Anyways, end rant, is this pistol reliable? I keep hearing problem with X or problem with Y or problem with Z. I want this gun for my walther collection, but I wouldnt justify buying it if its not reliable. Also, with the overheating issues it wouldn't be a good range only gun anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
The complaints about the gun have really dropped off. In the early days of the gun there were a lot of complaints about broken parts and general reliability issues.

Those seem to have dropped off a lot. A real lot. There are not many complaints on this forum about the gun any more.

I don't know if that's because fewer people are buying the gun or if the guns have improved. Both those things are probably true.

That's not necessarily an indictment of the CCP. There is an awful lot of competition in that small 9mm market and most who need one now have two.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a ccp m1 or the first incarnation of it, what ever you want to call it. I have about 3000 rounds or more through it. It was purchased for my then wife who initially had failure to feed issues, but when she handed it to me I had none. Needless to say I took over ownership and have no issues at all. So I’ve deemed it as being sensitive to limp wristing.

Mine uses the takedown tool and while I find it easy to take apart, but more difficult to reassemble, but not terribly so. Done I didn’t like doing it I used to go through 3 or 4 range visits before cleaning and never had a problem.

The ergos are great. It one of my easiest pistols to get back on target for follow up shots.

I don’t know if the new takedown is better. Seems like that adds it own issues.

Watch hickcock45’s video on the ccp it’s pretty spot on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My only complaint about my CCP M1 is the take-down and reassembly. If the M2 is easier, I might dump my M1 and change. I'm still baffled as to why Walther designed such a complex system. The ergonomics are sensational.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I don't get the difficulty with the M1 takedown. Yeah..it's different but once you do it a few time it takes only seconds to disassemble/reassemble.

The M2 is easier but I hear a lot of complaints of the striker spring cap flying out and getting lost.

The hardest part is getting the piston in the cylinder.

Reactions: rotorhead1026

·
Registered
75 Posts
It seems with the M2 the bugs have been worked out. Most people go online to complain about bad experiences but not as much to praise good.

Honestly, with good maintenance, my CCP never gave issues. I simply moved on in what I wanted out of a carry gun.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
It seems with the M2 the bugs have been worked out. Most people go online to complain about bad experiences but not as much to praise good.

Honestly, with good maintenance, my CCP never gave issues. I simply moved on in what I wanted out of a carry gun.
Just curious, what did you move on to?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just curious, what did you move on to?
I carried an old SIG P225 for a while after the CCP. After the recall business with the CCP, I felt uncomfortable carrying it at the time. The da/sa trigger and passive safeties were what I was comfortable with.

Currently I'm carrying a P99c for cold weather and PPS m2 for warm weather. The P99c is a 40.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just purchased a ccp m2 a couple of weeks ago. I had initial issues with out of spec ammo but no actual problems with the gun. Before I was carrying my PPQ .45 for EDC but that was a little much shoving down the pants. Now I carry the CCP M2 everyday. I have had no issues with it. Just find some good ammo and run it through the gun to make sure it feeds reliably for the stuff you carry. The only complaint people have with the M2 is the trigger. If you have double action revolvers you won't mind the trigger's long pull.

·
Registered
59 Posts
One more thing, the CCP does seem to be prone to limp wristing like a Glock. If you limp wrist the gun it will short stroke. I believe this is due to the soft recoil spring. I don't consider this a fault of the gun but of the shooter. If you look at all the problems on here you will see that 90% or more are due to bad ammo or limp wristing. The CCP is marketed to new shooters due to ergonomics and soft recoil. New shooters are always prone to limp wristing. If you take those complaints off the forum, the ccp wouldn't have any more complaints than your typical Glock. Another issue that causes similar problems is bent elbows. Typically old revolver shooters will do this to absorb recoil. You do not want bent elbows with a modern semi-auto, as it can cause the same results as limp wristing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One more thing, the CCP does seem to be prone to limp wristing like a Glock. If you limp wrist the gun it will short stroke. I believe this is due to the soft recoil spring. I don't consider this a fault of the gun but of the shooter. If you look at all the problems on here you will see that 90% or more are due to bad ammo or limp wristing. The CCP is marketed to new shooters due to ergonomics and soft recoil. New shooters are always prone to limp wristing. If you take those complaints off the forum, the ccp wouldn't have any more complaints than your typical Glock. Another issue that causes similar problems is bent elbows. Typically old revolver shooters will do this to absorb recoil. You do not want bent elbows with a modern semi-auto, as it can cause the same results as limp wristing.
Imma have to google what limp wristing is. Also, I never have my arms fully extended when shooting, and I never have problems with any of my modern semi autos...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought my CCP for the princely sum of $100. Included a Comp Tac Infidel Ultra Max IWB holster ($81 from Comp Tac)
Why? Because the previous owner stated "it does not cycle reliably. Fails to eject/Fails to fire-feed issues. Needs work to be reliable".

I cleaned it and took it to the range. Once it failed to feed one round. Nose down jam, second mag, second round.
Since then. Not one issue after about 400 rounds.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought my CCP for the princely sum of $100. Included a Comp Tac Infidel Ultra Max IWB holster ($81 from Comp Tac)
Why? Because the previous owner stated "it does not cycle reliably. Fails to eject/Fails to fire-feed issues. Needs work to be reliable".

I cleaned it and took it to the range. Once it failed to feed one round. Nose down jam, second mag, second round.
Since then. Not one issue after about 400 rounds.
You got one heck of a deal. I did the same thing years ago with a Ruger. Original owner claimed it wasn't reliable. After cleaning off layers of carbon on the internals the gun ran like a dream.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Imma have to google what limp wristing is. Also, I never have my arms fully extended when shooting, and I never have problems with any of my modern semi autos...
The Military Arms channel on youtube has a really informative video on how polymer framed pistols get blamed for being unreliable due to limp wristing. He demonstrates with a glock 19.

·
Registered
328 Posts
My Dad has a CCP M1, but never wants to shoot it so he doesn't have to disassemble it to clean! Sad to waste an otherwise great weapon.

·
Registered
38 Posts
...but damn it, most the posts here are complaints! I held a CCP M1 and immediately liked the feel more than my PPS M2 (which has amazing ergos), but when I went on the forum and saw videos all I could see were negatives. Then I find out the M2 is outhere and you dont need that counter intuitive tool anymore. (I mean if its meant for less handicapable people with arthritis and such isnt contorting your hands and using a proprietary tool much more difficult than say the PPS' or Creed's simpler mechanisms?) Anyways, end rant, is this pistol reliable? I keep hearing problem with X or problem with Y or problem with Z. I want this gun for my walther collection, but I wouldnt justify buying it if its not reliable. Also, with the overheating issues it wouldn't be a good range only gun anyways.
I love my M1 CCP... bought it over the M2 because every video I saw demonstrating the tool-free disassembly looked like it risked damaging the striker spring in the process of reassembly. While I’m not in love with using a tool, its not so bad once you get used to it. When mine demonstrated a five shot group at seven yards that looked like a single 1oz slug shot, even with the factory sights, I decided it’s shortcomings could be forgiven.

I agree that a PPX or Creed would make a better range gun. Their looks may be ugly, but their performance sure isn’t!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I got all excited when they announced the M2, and then I noticed that the manual safety is not ambidextrous, which is a total non-starter for me.

That's the reason I didn't look at the CCP the first time, and it's now the reason why I am not looking at the M2... It's not that I don't want one (especially now that it comes in 9mm), it's rather that the ergonomics for a pistol with a manual safety are inferior to other offerings on the market.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Killer

I'm with you Leftie, my daughter has a CCP and I love the ergonomics and the accuracy but the safety is a killer for us lefties...

Ruger Single Six (22)
Walther PP2 M2 (22)
Derringer (32)
S&W M&P (9mm)
S&W Bodyguard (380)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought an M2 from a local guy that had bought it three months earlier and only put fifty rounds through it....he had not cleaned it after running the ammo down the pipe either. He must have used some pretty dirty ammo as the gas piston was pretty "crusty".

I cleaned the pistol and have probably cycled 150-200 rounds through it at the range over the past 9 months without fault and clean it after each range visit. It’s a great shooting piece of hardware and I specifically looked for the M2 because it did not require the special (easy to loose) tool for takedown! The only shortcoming is that the slide builds up a considerable amount of heat after about the forth mag because of the "gas blowback" design....

JJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts