Votes: 2 33.3%
  • P99 AS SF

Votes: 4 66.7%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a gun that seems to be in search of a purpose and almost a contradiction in design intent. Why would you want a 40+ oz all steel 'carry' pistol (at least that's how Walther is marketing it) in 9mm?

Why does this exist? My only guess is, "If we build it, they will come".

I wasn't a big fan of the Walther Q5 SF. The one I rented shot beautifully but I felt it was just a bit too big and didn't care for the (IMO) gaudy lightening cuts on the slide. Combined with the blue trigger it was just more garish than I could stand for (and this is coming from a guy known to wear tie-dye now and then). Add a $1500 MSRP and I wasn't going to bite.

Enter the Q4 SF. Working off of the base of the finest service pistol ever produced the Q4 SF has dimensions that are close enough the PPQ/P99 that it even fits in my leather Galco P99 holster!

The pistol features the same "Quick Defense" trigger as the standard PPQ. That is by no means a bad thing. The PPQ trigger is legendary in the striker world and for good reason. Light and crisp trigger pull with a teenie tiny 0.1 inch reset. It does unfortunately have a dingus which is probably my biggest complaint about it (other than it's not DA/SA).

Like other PPQ's, I find that the trigger is just not quite as good as my P99 in single action. Doesn't seem quite as smooth and definitely is just a little more stout. I suppose that makes sense as the PPQ is advertised at 5.6lbs and the P99 SA at 4.5lbs. I had hoped that the steel frame version would be just a little cleaner during the pull, though. I haven't sent any rounds down range so perhaps it isn't an entirely fair comparison just yet.

The grip feels nice. Very grippy without 'catching' on clothing or being excessively abrasive like some textures. Definitely an improvement over the polymer. Thing points like a dream.

The frame/slide and barrel/slide is pretty tight but there is a tiny bit of slop (IMO probably just enough to ensure legendary Walther reliability)

Moving back to the reason why you'd purchase such a pistol... I wanted to see what all the red dot sight hype was about. I couldn't find a P226 Legion RXP and couldn't warm up to the P320 X-five so I 'settled'. Figuring if I was going to buy a RDS for a 4 digit 'carry' pistol I probably ought not skimp so I mounted a Trijicon RMR type 2 with 3.5 MOA LED.

Which brings me to a few distinctly negative points... Because of the bean counters in Walther's accounting department my $1400 "optics ready" pistol didn't ship with any mounting plates. The case clearly has 3 cut outs for the 3 different mounting options that used to ship with the Q4/Q5 pistols. My pistol came with ZERO. I had to go online and fill out their form and have one mailed in to me. Speaking with a Walther rep on the phone they informed me that including all the plates would have increased the price of the pistol by $200 so not getting any optics plates in the box was actually to my benefit :rolleyes:

In any case they shipped the plate and it arrived in only a few business days.

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

Moving on... for some reason I only received 2 magazines in my case. I called the dealer (gunprime.com) and they made it right by shipping me the 3rd magazine in just a couple days. Not sure if I should blame Walther, gunprime or my FFL but I'm glad it got taken care of.

Ultimately it seems like a very fine pistol and I'm very eager to take it to the range. Still, I get this feeling of sorrow when I look at it and realize it doesn't have the AS trigger or paddle magazine release. When I spoke with Walther on the phone I was very clear that I was only purchasing this pistol to show that steel frames were viable in the market and that a P99 SF ought to be forthcoming.

Lord willing I will update with a range report tomorrow!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Fantastic post and pictures! Unfortunately, it seems DA/SA is out of vogue these days. Thanks to Glock, everyone thinks that first DA pull is going to cause them to miss the target.

One can only guess according to the cyclical nature of the firearms industry since "subguns" (PCC, weak cartridge!) and 2011/1911 (SAO, safety will get you killed!) seem to be having a resurgence in popularity. Maybe DA/SA (first shot is a throwaway shot!) will be next?

·
Registered
8 Posts
For the vast majority of the market, this gun is definitely a solution in search of a problem. But I've been waiting for a high quality, steel framed striker fired pistol for YEARS. I always figured I was the only person on earth who wanted one, but Walther came out of nowhere and scratched that itch. I picked my Q4SF up back in April and I couldn't be happier with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally made some time to get to the range. Overall I was very pleased.

Reliability was 100% without so much as a hiccup. Had some Magtech, Fed American Eagle and Armscor (all in 115 gr) that ran without any issues. No malfunctions and the slide always locked back on empty. I don't really intend to use this pistol for self defense so I didn't shoot any hollowpoints just yet. Total round count was about 270 or so.

Zeroing the RDS was fairly simple. Got on paper using a bore sight and just a few modifications with trial and error and I was getting bullseyes.

Once zero'd I put up the best groups of my life, EASILY, and at ranges much greater than I can normally shoot worth a darn.

For example... I was able to hit an 8 inch target at 25 yards without any trouble. Normally that's a pretty tough shot for me to hit paper with any reliability. With the Trijicon RMR I was hitting paper every time and getting something that almost resembled groups.

As far as the trigger... eh... It's okay. Break is nice but it's a little too touchy, especially for follow up shots. I had a few 'unintentional' double taps where I was intending to fire a 2nd shot but the shot broke before I expected/intended.

I brought my P99 AS to compare side by side. I'm still partial to the DA/SA trigger on the P99. It is definitely better than the PPQ SF. The SA is little less crunchy and seems to be a little less touchy on the follow up shots. Not night and day different, but IMO enough of a difference to be notable.

At a distance (15 yards, 25 yards) the red dot on a steel frame was allowing me faster and more accurate hits on target but I noticed at shorter ranges (7 yards) the polymer pistol with 3 dot iron sights was allowing me to place hits on target much faster with acceptable accuracy (although not quite as much precision as the RDS). I suppose that might be due to familiarity, though. I was trying to focus on target and not 'search for the dot' but I felt like I was falling into that trap a little bit and had trouble getting the dot to appear in the glass on my initial draw.

Long story short... this pistol is just like the PPQ... except heavier. If you like the PPQ you'll probably like this pistol. If you're like me and think the PPQ is just a red-headed stepchild of the P99 then you won't be quite as delighted.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
This is my exact same setup including the RMR 2 3.25 MOA. Since getting it I’ve shot a few rounds through my P99c carry gun and maybe 750 through this PPQ SF. I love the old (and new) steel frame guns and this one has hit the sweet spot for me. I couldn’t be happier.

All I need is a holster like yours!

·
Registered
245 Posts
This is my exact same setup including the RMR 2 3.25 MOA. Since getting it I’ve shot a few rounds through my P99c carry gun and maybe 750 through this PPQ SF. I love the old (and new) steel frame guns and this one has hit the sweet spot for me. I couldn’t be happier.

All I need is a holster like yours!
Finally made some time to get to the range. Overall I was very pleased.

Reliability was 100% without so much as a hiccup. Had some Magtech, Fed American Eagle and Armscor (all in 115 gr) that ran without any issues. No malfunctions and the slide always locked back on empty. I don't really intend to use this pistol for self defense so I didn't shoot any hollowpoints just yet. Total round count was about 270 or so.

Zeroing the RDS was fairly simple. Got on paper using a bore sight and just a few modifications with trial and error and I was getting bullseyes.

Once zero'd I put up the best groups of my life, EASILY, and at ranges much greater than I can normally shoot worth a darn.

For example... I was able to hit an 8 inch target at 25 yards without any trouble. Normally that's a pretty tough shot for me to hit paper with any reliability. With the Trijicon RMR I was hitting paper every time and getting something that almost resembled groups.

As far as the trigger... eh... It's okay. Break is nice but it's a little too touchy, especially for follow up shots. I had a few 'unintentional' double taps where I was intending to fire a 2nd shot but the shot broke before I expected/intended.

I brought my P99 AS to compare side by side. I'm still partial to the DA/SA trigger on the P99. It is definitely better than the PPQ SF. The SA is little less crunchy and seems to be a little less touchy on the follow up shots. Not night and day different, but IMO enough of a difference to be notable.

At a distance (15 yards, 25 yards) the red dot on a steel frame was allowing me faster and more accurate hits on target but I noticed at shorter ranges (7 yards) the polymer pistol with 3 dot iron sights was allowing me to place hits on target much faster with acceptable accuracy (although not quite as much precision as the RDS). I suppose that might be due to familiarity, though. I was trying to focus on target and not 'search for the dot' but I felt like I was falling into that trap a little bit and had trouble getting the dot to appear in the glass on my initial draw.

Long story short... this pistol is just like the PPQ... except heavier. If you like the PPQ you'll probably like this pistol. If you're like me and think the PPQ is just a red-headed stepchild of the P99 then you won't be quite as delighted.
Any striker trigger will never be as good as a good SA trigger. Tho I hear the Overwatch Precision comes close.
Fast dot acquisition will come in time. It's been said it takes close to 3K presentations.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts