Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have long wanted a P22. Now that I've researched them a bit I hear a lot of bad things about jamming, excessive wear and problems with the safety. People say they are fun but not reliable.

Are these just earlier models or do they all need tweaking?

Are the barrels threaded on the shorter barreled model?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I went ahead and bought mine....even though the problems.
the first week i shot about 600 rounds of American Eagle, outta 600 about 10 jams.

Then i bought some Remington ...Various
i noticed that it liked the Remington target, thunderbolts.

but some people who have shot these said nope no difference.

i might go out today and buy a few boxes of remington, winchester and CCI and see what happens...

Yes both barrels are threaded.

i will keep you posted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the reply.

Yea, I've heard that they wear out fast and aren't reliable. But I've always wanted one because I love plinking with a .22 and they are fairly cheap. I also love the way they look.
I don't have one yet because of what I've heard. I really want RELIABILITY. Please do keep me posted on your findings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
well i just got from the hills.

Remington thunderbolts.
1000 rnds

1 not quite fully loaded per clip but it stopped after 3 clip.
lossened the thread nut just tight enough to stay on but not tq'd on. = RESOLVED

Next tues i will fire some winchester rounds also....

so far i have put over 4000 rounds through "give or take a few" NO WEAR what so ever....NONE

·
Registered
187 Posts
I still use my P22 quite a bit. Got it in Sept. 2002. Yes it has a bit of slide wear. Yes, casings jam in the slide when I use a Tac Mount/Red Dot. But, overall, it's a fun and affordable plinker.
Price and availability of "approved" .22's was the major factor in my choice. I'd like to see Ruger offer a Massachusetts approved .22 pistol. I may need to spring for an S&W 41 for Pistol League this Fall.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ruger now offers a Mass approved pistol The Ruger MKIII
It has the Mass Hole loaded chamber indicator
The magazine release is a button next to the grip like most autos and the price is the same in every model as before.
Because of the mag button change the Ruger MKIIIs magazines are different than the MarkII..
Have a look at one at your local gun Store..
I just aquired a Walther P22 Carbon Fiber with the 3.4" barrel
I haven't shot it yet but can't wait to try it..
I have shot over 300,000 rounds threw my Ruger MKII Competition Target Model mostly with the Federal Wal Mart Value PacK Ammo, And have had only a few failures in all that time, I hope the Walther P22 can even come close..
Here's a Pic of some of my Favorite Pistols & Revolvers
Note: Two Ruger MKIIs in the background also HKs SIG Sauer Beretta Dan Wesson S&W Ruger Taurus etc

1 - 6 of 6 Posts