Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dry fired a 2003 P99 AS 9mm at my local store and I love it! Even the 9 lb or so double action trigger is remarkably smooth and much nicer and easier than people say. Obviously both of the single action triggers were great as well. This makes me think that if I like the DA trigger, i would really really like the QA trigger even more. Like i said in other posts...you really can't go wrong with either.

But the price here in rochester ny was a little steeper than i thought...they looked in their walther price book (it looked like it was an official walther manufacturer price book or something)...$630 for either the 2004 P99 AS 9mm or the 2004 P99 QA 9mm...why so much? is my store giving me wrong info or are they just way to expensive? thanks, -dave

·
Registered
310 Posts
Here in Virginia, the going price for a 2004 P99 AS 9mm is about $600 + tax ($630 out the door). The AS prices have been rising since S&W stopped importing the AS model earlier this spring. I tried to find one back in March and none of the "discount" places (AK-47 man, OnPoint, etc.) could find one for me. I ended up paying $600 locally and I was happy to get it!

Personally, the QA trigger holds no attraction for me. I have a Glock -- I don't want another one. An2d I really don't like the idea of having a gun that could be loaded and NOT go "bang" when I pull the trigger -- however remote the chance of it being decocked is. I think the trigger action is a matter of personal preference...I'll take the AS over the QA any day. Obviously enough other people disagree with me that Walther has decided to make the QA their gun of choice for the US market.

If you like the AS, grab one while you can. Once Earl's becomes the only source for them, you can bet you'll be paying $800+ to get one!

Jim

·
Registered
821 Posts
I'd second Navy87's advice. Pick one up while you can, otherwise they'll fetch higher and higher premiums.

As for the "discount" avenues. Don't necessarily give up on them. A friend of mine got on the "list" at AK-47man.com for a 9mm P99 AS in black. After about 5 weeks of waiting, Gina at AK-47man.com called him. She came through! Found him a brand new pistol. He finally finished paying for it and got it the other day. Slick lookin'.

Anyways, moral of the story is: don't give up looking.

-stunks

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stunksinatl @ June 13 2005,9:00)]As for the "discount" avenues.  Don't necessarily give up on them.  A friend of mine got on the "list" at AK-47man.com for a 9mm P99 AS in black.  After about 5 weeks of waiting, Gina at AK-47man.com called him.  She came through!  Found him a brand new pistol.  He finally finished paying for it and got it the other day.  Slick lookin'.

Anyways, moral of the story is: don't give up looking.

-stunks
Gina is great...I just didn't have the patience to wait for her to look around for me! I knew where there was one in stock locally -- and I didn't want to let it get away.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The AS is the best thing since sliced bread .
I think it's the best thing in a polymer striker fired handgun.

·
Registered
141 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Navy87Guy @ June 13 2005,20:41)]Here in Virginia, the going price for a 2004 P99 AS 9mm is about $600 + tax ($630 out the door). The AS prices have been rising since S&W stopped importing the AS model earlier this spring. I tried to find one back in March and none of the "discount" places (AK-47 man, OnPoint, etc.) could find one for me. I ended up paying $600 locally and I was happy to get it!

Personally, the QA trigger holds no attraction for me. I have a Glock -- I don't want another one. An2d I really don't like the idea of having a gun that could be loaded and NOT go "bang" when I pull the trigger -- however remote the chance of it being decocked is. I think the trigger action is a matter of personal preference...I'll take the AS over the QA any day. Obviously enough other people disagree with me that Walther has decided to make the QA their gun of choice for the US market.

If you like the AS, grab one while you can. Once Earl's becomes the only source for them, you can bet you'll be paying $800+ to get one!

Jim
Hey Jim why you said that you don't like the idea of having a gun that could be loaded and NOT go "bang" when you pull the trigger.

I shoot boths AS and QA
i prefer AS too but

i disagree with you here the QA is ready to fired in fact unless you decocked you have the not red trigger indicator of uncocked in the back

·
Registered
72 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (DavePont @ June 13 2005,16:55)]But the price here in rochester ny was a little steeper than i thought...they looked in their walther price book (it looked like it was an official walther manufacturer price book or something)...$630 for either the 2004 P99 AS 9mm or the 2004 P99 QA 9mm...why so much? is my store giving me wrong info or are they just way to expensive?
Because they are worth every penny. I like to think of the P-99 as being in direct competition with the HK USPc and P2000, which have a MSRP of $799 and $887 respectively (and the P2000c is $929). In this light, I beleive that P-99's value is apparent. Also, the P-99 is slightly slimmer than the USPc, the USPc feels top heavy to me, and the P-99 has more capacity. Plus, I beleive the P-99 AS is the most innovative firearm since the HK P7, and I like supporting Walther.

Note: The USPc is a fine weapon, I don't mean to bash them. With the non-blackened stainless steel slide they do not show wear from everyday carry, and they are rated for +P+ by the factory.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, I agree. I've only had the chance to hold/dry fire a P99, but from what I hear it is worth every penny, and I would pay much more than $630 for one (but don't let walther know that!). Now if I could only pay to speed up the new york CCW permit process. (6 months and waiting...)

·
Registered
821 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stoping Power @ June 21 2005,10:22)]
Hey Jim why you said that you don't like the idea of having a gun that could be loaded and NOT go "bang" when you pull the trigger.

I  shoot boths AS and QA
i prefer AS too but

i disagree with you here the QA is ready to fired in fact unless you decocked you have the not red trigger indicator of uncocked in the back

I'll reply for Navy here...

I think what he meant was if you've got a dud round in the chamber, the slide will not cycle and recock the striker.  On the QA, you'll have to manually eject the round to ready another shot.

With the AS, all you do is a double action pull to try again.

I hope I answered that right on Navy's behalf.

Navy, if not, my apologies!!!  I too am an AS guy, but have been thinking about getting a QA compact for concealed carry.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a QA, best buddy has an AS. Though I shot the AS first, I ultimately decided on the QA for a variety of reasons. Although the AS is capable of second-strike, I seriously doubt I would waste any time pulling the trigger twice if the first strike did nothing...I was raised with the "smack, rack, boom" philosophy.

YMMV, but that's the way I look at it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, I'll try to be as concise as possible...

My father was a big time outdoorsman, hunter, and overall gun lover. He got me into cap and ball at an early age as well as the usual shooting sports. However, he NEVER trusted autoloaders. Keep in mind he was born in '34, and was quite old school when it came to pistols. As such, his handguns were Colt 38s and Ruger .357s and the like. Unfortunately, I lost him when I was 15. Since he was by far the smartest person I've ever known, I've always had a healthy preference for wheelguns. The P99 QA just "feels" more like a revolver to me, particularly my (inherited) Ruger Speed Six.

In addition, since the P99 is my carry weapon, I wouldn't feel safe carrying the AS with the striker fully cocked, nor do I like the idea of carrying the AS in DA mode, where a trigger pull has to fully cock the striker. The QA solves both problems by giving me a partially cocked striker. Now, my trigger pull "finishes" the job rather than does all of it.

Like I said before, second strike means nothing to me, so the QA didn't lose any points there.

I suppose the fact that I cut my teeth on revolvers (shooting DA, though both are capable of SA) got me hooked on a consistent trigger pull from first shot to last, and the P99QA just felt natural. That's not to dis the AS trigger. I like it. But for me, I wouldn't be 100% comfortable with it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Stoping Power @ June 21 2005,10:22)]Hey Jim why you said that you don't like the idea of having a gun that could be loaded and NOT go "bang" when you pull the trigger.

I  shoot boths AS and QA
i prefer AS too but

Sorry stunks -- I was actually referring to the possibility (distinct, although remote) or having the gun loaded then decocked. With the QA trigger system, you have to cycle the slide (granted, only 1/16th of an inch -- but it's still an extra action) before you can fire a round. Have I ever heard of anyone inadvertenly decocking their QA? No. Does that mean it can't happen? No. Do I want to be the one it happens to? No way.

It's just a matter of personal preference with me. If I draw a gun, I want to be able to pull the trigger immediately and fire the weapon. I go out of my way to buy pistols that don't have external safeties (the one exception was the Steyr M9 -- although now the new M-A1 doesn't have a safety so maybe I'll "upgrade"!). But that's just me...other people will argue strongly in favor of safeties. To me, keeping my finger off the trigger is my built-in safety feature (and please, I don't mean to turn this into a discussion of proper handling of firearms!).

Anyway, short story made long -- that's my objection to the QA trigger action. I'm clearly a minority since that's the model S&W decided to keep importing!

Jim

·
Registered
65 Posts
Jim,

As my mama would say, that's why there's vanilla ice cream and chocolate ice cream. ;-)

Also, gotta comment to say that my father was in the USN (though probably long before your time.) At one time I wanted to follow in his footsteps, but I learned that MY footsteps are too flat to go into the military. Heh. Daddy worked on the F9F5, but he and I agreed that the Tomcat is probably the best ever.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Blake -

I have to agree with your Mama -- variety is the spice of life!

I'm a ship driver, but I admit that I'm feeling a little old with the F-14's going away. When I first started in this business (20+ years ago now!) they were "it". THe F/A-18 is a pretty good aircraft, but the Tomcats were just so darn impressive to watch. Oh well....times are changing!

Jim

·
Registered
28 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (tabor @ June 21 2005,17:11)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (DavePont @ June 13 2005,16:55)]I like to think of the P-99 as being in direct competition with the HK USPc and P2000
, which have a MSRP of $799 and $887 respectively (and the P2000c is $929). In this light, I beleive that P-99's value is apparent. Also, the P-99 is slightly slimmer than the USPc, the USPc feels top heavy to me, and the P-99 has more capacity. Plus, I beleive the P-99 AS is the most innovative firearm since the HK P7, and I like supporting Walther.

Note: The USPc is a fine weapon, I don't mean to bash them. With the non-blackened stainless steel slide they do not show wear from everyday carry, and they are rated for +P+ by the factory.
I own a USP45 and a P99 in 9mm and they are 2 different animals.the P99 is my primary carry and thats only because of its size.I find it hard to decide which is better,to me its close. thats why I own both.the P99 I can get tighter groups but I fault myself not the USP for that.competition?get rid of the poly guide rod and beef up the frame and you would probably be right.If I had to give up one for the other I would keep the HK, as much as I do like the P99 I prefer 12 rds of 45 in my magazines instead of 15 of 9mm.FLAME SUIT ON

·
Registered
72 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (p-99quality @ June 22 2005,22:05)]I own a USP45 and a P99 in 9mm and they are 2 different animals.
I couldn't agree more. I would not compace a full sized USP to a P99. Also, I would own a USP Tactical in 45, but the USP 45 is too large for my hand.

I have shot a USPc in 9mm back to back with the P-99 AS in 9mm, and IMHO they are VERY simmilar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts