Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and it took all the power inside of me to walk away from it...

Had to go to Baton Rouge today, which is about an hour away from where I live, and there is a HUGE firearm store, called Jim's Firearms. I called 'em yesterday and they told me they had 4!!! in stock. So I stopped by there, I touched it, I held it, I fondled it. And I love it.

But they wanted $650 for it - before taxes, so I was looking at paying over $700 for it. My local gun shop is only going to charge me $595 - they just can't get one. So I was torn between shelling out the extra hundred, or waiting.

I think the factor that swayed me was the customer service. It was horrible. The gun had the big magazine in it, and I asked him to see the small one to see the size... his reply "It's in the back, I don't feel like going get it" Then I was trying to remove the backstrap to test the safety and he said "We don't take apart the guns in the store" Those 2 statements (which is all he said to me) and just his lacadasical attitude made me reconsider.

So here I am, still without the gun, but with the knowledge that the frame looks good and the gun feels good in my hand.

The only thing I didn't like was that when I dry fired it the trigger didn't reset, it stayed back - I've never seen this in a gun before... To those who have the PPS - is this normal?

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
I do a little part time work at a local gun shop and have to say that we too have a policy of not taking the guns apart. You may know what your doing, but believe me there are a lot of bumbled fingered nubs out there who don't - and they seem to be the one always aching to get that new Glock, Smith & Wesson, Walther apart - Murphy gets involved and believe me its a real mess.

That stated, there is a polite way to advise customers of this policy. I agree that the clerk was lazy and rude about getting the other clip. After all one of the PPS First Edition's selling points is the really nice case and extra magazines - those extras alone can clinch the deal for someone "on the fence".

Too bad the clerk was such a buffoon, otherwise I'd say spend the extra $50 - and get one while the getting is good!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think there's a large difference between taking a gun apart and trying out the swappable backstraps for fit. The trigger is normal, if you have a trigger that is preloaded by the slide's action like a glock or a QA P99, the slide will need to be worked each time to reset the trigger.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think there's a large difference between taking a gun apart and trying out the swappable backstraps for fit. The trigger is normal, if you have a trigger that is preloaded by the slide's action like a glock or a QA P99, the slide will need to be worked each time to reset the trigger.
I have a QA p99, when I dry fire it, the trigger resets, but the striker doesn't. So if I cock it, and repeatedly pull the trigger, the striker fires once, and then nothing happens when I pull the trigger. But I can pull it the full distance.

On the PPS today, when I cocked it, and pulled the trigger, it stayed in the fully compressed position, I had to rack the slide just to get the trigger to reset to the normal position.

-- jon

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Yes, U won't find a shop willing to let ya take the backstrap apart. I have had shops disassemble a 1911 for me 1x, so I could look inside. But that is about it.

But yea, they could have gotten the magaizne for you.

And as for the trigger - someone answered that above.

Glocks work the same way - the slide must be pulled back to reset it (which would be done if the gun was fired)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Then I was trying to remove the backstrap to test the safety and he said "We don't take apart the guns in the store"
I can't see how switching a backstrap, which is a user-managed feature Walther is pushing in all their literature, is tantamount to disassembling the pistol.
The guy sounds like a true model for customer service in America these days.

The only thing I didn't like was that when I dry fired it the trigger didn't reset, it stayed back - I've never seen this in a gun before... To those who have the PPS - is this normal?
It is for a Glock-like manual of arms, which this pistol appears to possess.
This is yet another reason I am attracted to this pistol, because I've been carrying a Glock for a long, long time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, U won't find a shop willing to let ya take the backstrap apart.
I'll respectfully disagree with this. For the stores that I frequent, it is common to field strip (remove slide, barrel, recoil spring) and dry fire. I don't seem to remember a shop where this wasn't the case. I usually ask before doing so. Didn't have any problems with the salesman when I was changing backstraps. BTW, i consider this particular store to have borderline acceptable service and sub-acceptable product knowledge. They also had better than most others First Edition prices.

On the other hand, when I cough up the $$ for my Sig x-5, i'll make sure i get one that hasn't been finger f^c!<ed in a display case for months.

Don

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
On the other hand, when I cough up the $$ for my Sig x-5, i'll make sure i get one that hasn't been finger f^c!<ed in a display case for months.
:confused:

That's exactly why our shop doesn't let folks take pistols apart, drop slides on empty chambers etc. Not enough mark up in these things to have to sell one below cost because customers have "finger f^c!>ed" it for months!

A little time on forums (or a shop) reveals how crazy some folks can be regarding their guns! Every tiny mark and divit can become a major quality or functioning disaster! It's better for everyone involved if you just keep the d**n things together. Its possible to have this policy and be polite too!

I haven't handled a PPS yet, so I am not sure what kind of effort it takes to remove the backstrap. If it just pops off - and its a safety feature of the pistol - shouldn't be a problem to remove it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts