Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first gun myself.At my local Gun show.. I told him it was for self defense. He said the p22 long rifle was perfect for that. I took my conceal carry class and my instructor didn't approve of my choice of weapon. I see why now looking up if it will stop an attacker ?? my husband argues its good for self defense. I said babe do you want to bet my life on it . I want a .38 but he thinks this will do the job . Im not so confident

·
Registered
7 Posts
well.. are you new to shooting? Maybe he had that kind of impression.. .22lr are great for beginners to learn, but it's definitely not my first choice for self defense. That said, 5 quick shots of 22s to the face is better than nothing. If you want to step it up, there's plenty of options, if you can find them. (PPS, shield, Glock43, etc)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Rent some pistols (Walther PPQ, SIG P320, HK VP9, S&W M&P9, GLOCK 19 ectera) at a local range, and see which one suites you. Train with the 22, yet try out some 9mm. 38 is good for a revolver. Seek out trainging with a reputable instructor.

·
Registered
678 Posts
22lr might not be ideal for self defense but it's still possible.
It's such a light shooter that with repeated and the right shot placement (the face) you can pretty much get someone to stop doing what they are doing.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
655 Posts
When the CCW instructor said he would not approve, does that mean you can’t qualify with it? I was approved while shooting a PPK/S in .22. My wife on the other hand qualified with a Ruger LCR .38 Special. Shooting 50 rounds was hard on her hands.

Putting 10-11 shots of any caliber on target is going to stop most attackers. Heck just pulling out a weapon with stop many.

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
I'd never consider a 22 lr for self defense unless that was the only thing I could get my hands on. When you say self defense, there's two scenarios....at home and or when your out and about. For HD (home defense) one may choose a physically larger handgun, meaning a full size. For SD (self defense) one usually will be looking for something a little smaller and/or lighter for on the person carry or in the purse carry. As for calibers, yes, a 38 will get the job done, but I've not talked to anybody in the last 10 years or so that use that caliber. Here's one of many articles that compare 38 to 9mm .38 vs. 9mm For Concealed Carry - Alien Gear Holsters Blog

My daughter carries a Ruger LC9 semi-auto pistol in 9mm, in her purse, while at home she has a Walther PPQ in 9mm.

I'd steer you toward 9mm, as that round seems to be a really popular round.

Like others have said, go to a range and rent some guns.....many times you can pay one price and try every gun in the showcase.

If my only choice was a 22 or a sharp pencil, I'd choose the 22. Of course, John Wick would just use the pencil.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think you may have been a little misled. Others have hit all the points. The .380 is a great size, guns like the Ruger LCP, Glock 42, S&W body guard, there's lots of options that are great for conceal-ability. I prefer 9mm because it used to be fairly cheap and easy to get your hands on. Good luck

·
Registered
281 Posts
My wife and I just went through the exercise. She wanted something that had little to no recoil, but still had the punch to stop and attacker if needed. She also wanted something easy to rack since her hand strength is not the best. Last, but not least, it had to be dependable. With these criteria in mind, we chose the Walther CCP M2 380. Here is why:

• Recoil - There is little doubt that one of the lightest recoiling semi-autos on the market is the Walther CCP, due to the Softcoil piston technology. Let me tell you, it works, especially on the already tame recoil of a .380.
  • Racking ease - Once again, due to the piston-based Softcoil technology, the CCP M2 380 does not require a strong recoil spring, which means that even my wife can easily manipulate the slide.
  • Dependability - This point really does trump every other consideration, and if you had asked me in 2017, if I would choose a CCP, I would have said no, and HELL NO!. I have been watching the evolution of this pistol on this forum and elsewhere, and it has been amazing to watch how Walther actually turned a pig's ear into a silk purse. Just follow the CCP complaints threads on this forum, and you quickly notice how the massive numbers of complaints about the 1st gen CCPs drop to a trickle late in the 2017. The complaints dropped even further when the 9mm version of the CCP M2 arrived, and then dropped to almost no "real" reliability complaints after the CCP M2 .380 launched.
I can say without hesitation, that for my wife at least, I don't think there is a better pistol choice for her... She loves it!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I started my wife with a S&W M&P22C. She became familiar with it. Handling, shooting, loading, clearing jams.
She is accurate dealy with it with quick follow up shots.
That said, she qualified for her CCW permit with my Ruger SR9 which she laid claim to. It is now her home defense handgun.
Since getting her permit we have acquired a Ruger EC9s for her as well as a Walther CCP M1 9mm. Both have been flawless.

SWMP.22C.jpg
rugerec9s.jpg
CCP.JPG
0630172003b.jpg

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
.22lr is garbage for self defense because it’s weak and also unreliable. It’s OK for the range.

·
Registered
281 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,619 Posts
And yet the British issued the Walther PP 22LR (the L66 A1) to their troops in Ireland as an off duty carry piece during the troubles.

·
Registered
125 Posts
And yet the British issued the Walther PP 22LR (the L66 A1) to their troops in Ireland as an off duty carry piece during the troubles.

View attachment 94369

And 9x18 was standard issue for a lot of eastern European police and military for a long time. Times change, people change, the drugs people are on change, the guns bad guys have change. 9x18 or .22 is probably not a horrible choice against unarmed perpetrators who might be high on cocaine or weed.

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
I took my conceal carry class and my instructor didn't approve of my choice of weapon.
While .22 LR is better than a sharp stick its not going to be the best option. Practice with your current pistol to build up your skill but try to find a local range where you can rent some different guns and calibers. You'll find something you like with more power than a .22 without too much difficulty. There are a lot of good choices available.

Since it sounds like you have a Walther P22 you may want to consider a Walther PK380. It's similar in size and function but chambered in the more powerful .380 ACP cartridge.

My wife on the other hand qualified with a Ruger LCR .38 Special. Shooting 50 rounds was hard on her hands.
Your wife is a tough woman. I have fired 50 rounds in a range session through my LCR .38 once. By the time I was finished everything from my fingertips to my elbow was either tingling or numb.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
I bought my first gun myself.At my local Gun show.. I told him it was for self defense. He said the p22 long rifle was perfect for that. I took my conceal carry class and my instructor didn't approve of my choice of weapon. I see why now looking up if it will stop an attacker ?? my husband argues its good for self defense. I said babe do you want to bet my life on it . I want a .38 but he thinks this will do the job . Im not so confident

welcome to WaltherForums Brandywine. There is a lot to learn about handling firearms properly.....especially handguns. Getting a small semi auto .22 is a great way to start. Everyone needs a .22 of some style anyway. The ammo is relatively inexpensive, you can shoot a whole magfull or two for what one round of center fire stuff costs. There is nothing that will help you learn how to handle a pistol better than some lessons and plenty of shooting. It doesn't matter what caliber you have if you can't hit anything with it. And if you have some dud rounds, or some jams.....great. You need to learn how to deal with those too because they can happen with any semi auto of any caliber or make. Pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang.....ah, but did you jerk the pistol in anticipation of it firing? All of that is important. If you are jerking it when it didn't fire....you are jerking it when firing. So, I've got no problem with getting a .22 and doing plenty of shooting with it. When and if you step up to a larger caliber semi....it will all be much the same.

With any luck none of us will have to ever shoot anyone in self defense. And none of us wants to get shot by anything including a .22 either. A .22 can dang sure kill you. I'd back off of anyone I was mad at if they had a gun...any kind of gun. If you learn how to shoot properly, handle a firearm with confidence......the perp will get the idea rather quickly I expect. And another 10 rounds can be shoved into the grip really quickly. I don't carry a .22.....but I'd feel comfortable doing so. It just wouldn't be a P22. But for training, learning and fun plinking.....have at it and have some fun. 1917

·
Registered
47 Posts
I am a state police and NRA certified pistol instructor and I disagree with your instructor. While 22 LR is not ideal for defensive use, it is far from useless. Here are a few tips:
1) get some high velocity (1,250+ fps) 22 LR hollow points
2) shift your point of aim from the chest to the abdomen
3) practice rapid fire. Start with a double tap, then a triple tap, and try to work up to five shots. If you shoot someone in the gut 3-5 times with a hot 22LR hollow point round, you will make a bad day for that person.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You didn't waste your money. A .22 pistol is something that everyone should have, but maybe not the best choice for self defense. It's a good gun to learn the fundamentals with. A P22 is tiny and easy to handle, but may or may not stop an attack.

A better choice may be something in 9mm. 9mm isn't difficult to handle, and with the proper round it's very capable. Back in the day with regular FMJs it wasn't the greatest, but current bullet design has brought it up to a level as effective as most other pistol calibers.

You referred to wanting a ".38" in your initial post - did that mean .38 Special or .380 semi auto? A revolver (.38 Special) is a different animal, and you should definitely try one before making a purchase. Some can be very difficult to operate the trigger if you have smaller hands or limited hand strength. Whatever you are considering it's always a good idea to handle and fire it if possible. Sometimes you will find you initial choice of pistol or caliber isn't what you like.

This video has a lot of real-world data on pistol calibers and their effectiveness, and debunks a lot of old school thinking -

I'm not a big fan of small calibers, but they can do the job - most of the time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You didn't waste your money. A .22 pistol is something that everyone should have, but maybe not the best choice for self defense. It's a good gun to learn the fundamentals with. A P22 is tiny and easy to handle, but may or may not stop an attack.

A better choice may be something in 9mm. 9mm isn't difficult to handle, and with the proper round it's very capable. Back in the day with regular FMJs it wasn't the greatest, but current bullet design has brought it up to a level as effective as most other pistol calibers.

You referred to wanting a ".38" in your initial post - did that mean .38 Special or .380 semi auto? A revolver (.38 Special) is a different animal, and you should definitely try one before making a purchase. Some can be very difficult to operate the trigger if you have smaller hands or limited hand strength. Whatever you are considering it's always a good idea to handle and fire it if possible. Sometimes you will find you initial choice of pistol or caliber isn't what you like.

This video has a lot of real-world data on pistol calibers and their effectiveness, and debunks a lot of old school thinking -

I'm not a big fan of small calibers, but they can do the job - most of the time.
The 380 is a great solution with good defensive ammo and the right gun. A few 380s for new shooters that I recommend are:
-S&W M&P Shield 380 EZ
-Bersa Thunder 380
-Walther PK380

1 - 20 of 57 Posts