Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After mulling it around (and the announcement to sink in), I think I am going to pull the trigger and get the CCP .380. I have the M1 CCP and all its take down nightmares, and have wanted to get the M2, but didn't really want to buy the same gun again. Now that it is in .380, I can justify buying it now! (Too bad they didn't go .45).
How many of you guys plan on getting it?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I have a CCP M1 and enjoy it a lot. Admittedly I’m ot a fan of the reassembly. I don’t see any reason to add one in .380. Why incur the added ammo cost to shoot something so similar?

If I needed some thing easier to manipulate then maybe, but I don’t know if it is any easier to rack the slide or any softer shooting. The 9mm is fine for me.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a CCP M1 and enjoy it a lot. Admittedly I’m ot a fan of the reassembly. I don’t see any reason to add one in .380. Why incur the added ammo cost to shoot something so similar?

If I needed some thing easier to manipulate then maybe, but I don’t know if it is any easier to rack the slide or any softer shooting. The 9mm is fine for me.
Well, I kind of wanted another 380 to sling lead down range, as I have the PPK/S Already, so already have the ammo on hand.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had an original run CCP (9mm) 3 years ago. But after about 500 rounds it started dropping the magazine on me, sometimes 3-4 times per mag. I finally got rid of it.

And now I'm actually considering the M2 in .380. Just because I want a .380 in about this size. But ... with all of the problems people had with the original 9 it kind-of makes me wonder if I'm a dope for giving the M2 a chance.

How has the reputation been for the M2 in 9 lately? I've been away from these forums for a while so I haven't been keeping up.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
I had an original run CCP (9mm) 3 years ago. But after about 500 rounds it started dropping the magazine on me, sometimes 3-4 times per mag. I finally got rid of it.

And now I'm actually considering the M2 in .380. Just because I want a .380 in about this size. But ... with all of the problems people had with the original 9 it kind-of makes me wonder if I'm a dope for giving the M2 a chance.

How has the reputation been for the M2 in 9 lately? I've been away from these forums for a while so I haven't been keeping up.

It really seems like the complaints about the gun on this forum have slowed to a trickle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It really seems like the complaints about the gun on this forum have slowed to a trickle.

That's good news. Either they just stopped complaining or there really aren't that many complaints about it. I think I'll have to give the .380 a try. When I had the 9mm it felt pretty darn good in my hand and was one of my more accurate guns (whether that was because -it- was more accurate or -I- was just more accurate with it).

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
That's good news. Either they just stopped complaining or there really aren't that many complaints about it. I think I'll have to give the .380 a try. When I had the 9mm it felt pretty darn good in my hand and was one of my more accurate guns (whether that was because -it- was more accurate or -I- was just more accurate with it).
Let us know how it goes.

I agree with you the CCP has about the best feel in the hand as any smaller gun out there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well, against my better judgement, I picked-up the M2 .380 today. Sometimes I'm just stubborn and want something to work right that I'll keep beating it into the ground until it either does work right or I've made myself insane trying. I hope this is the former.

But, for what's suppose to be an easy slide to rack .. yikes. This thing has more bumps humps and clumps on the way back that it's almost worse than any other gun with a stiff recoil spring! And that's after some liberal application of oil on parts that slide against each other. I'm just hoping that things smooth out after a couple hundred rounds.

And the sights ... the rear is barely acceptable, the front sight dot is not even visible! (haha)

Hopefully I can get out this weekend to shoot it and see how that goes. At the moment though, I am not expecting great things from it. I'll be happy if it functions reliably.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Well, against my better judgement, I picked-up the M2 .380 today. Sometimes I'm just stubborn and want something to work right that I'll keep beating it into the ground until it either does work right or I've made myself insane trying. I hope this is the former.

But, for what's suppose to be an easy slide to rack .. yikes. This thing has more bumps humps and clumps on the way back that it's almost worse than any other gun with a stiff recoil spring! And that's after some liberal application of oil on parts that slide against each other. I'm just hoping that things smooth out after a couple hundred rounds.
(SNIP)
I handled a CCP 9mm the other day, and notice the same - there's a lot of unusual drag going as the slide moves.

I did think the overall force required to cycle the slide was significantly less than other 9mm pistols, including the new M&P9 EZ.

Not sure what's causing all that drag, and it didn't feel like it was just one spot.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I have no plans to buy one. I tried the CCP M2 in 9mm and the PPS M2 in 9mm before buying the PPS M2. I liked both guns but preferred the PPS M2 for its ergonomics, size, and trigger. If they were to make a PPS M2 in 380 I would seriously consider it if it was even easier to rack that the 9mm. That is because the arthritis in my hands never gets better, and Underwood 380 Extreme Penetrator or Defender makes me feel comfortable about self defense with a 380 and a short barrel.

·
Registered
675 Posts
FWIW I’ve owned a Walther P22 and a 2013 PPK/S in .22. In both cases when I remove the slides I see humps and bumps that can influence the smooth operation of the slide. I don’t understand why the bumps exist but they are there. After many rounds things smooth out. When my local range gets a CCP in 380 I will give it a try.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I zipped over to the range today with the CCP M2 .380 and put 125 rounds (15+ mags worth) through it. My overall first impression is ... eh, it worked, not bad. I've been using mostly Rugers for the last year so I'm pretty rusty with the nicer Walther ergonomics and different triggers, ie., I'm not going to show you my target sheet as it's nothing to show off.

Anyway ... I tried 4 different ammo brands, PPU, Remington, Sellier&Bellot, and Sig Sauer VCrown jhp. The only problem I had was 1 fail-to-feed (jammed nose up) on the last mag round, PPU. And at the end of the 4th mag the slide failed to lock back (don't remember the brand in there at the time). Other than those 2 items the gun worked just fine. After 125 rds in 30 mins the gun was fairly warm around the piston chamber of course, but not so hot it would burn you. I remember my 9mm CCP would get really hot sooner and with fewer rounds.

Slide travel ... might be, maybe, possibly ... just a tiny touch smoother than before. Maybe. Hard to tell. Right at the beginning of travel there's a really obvious ... I don't know ... bump? catch? ... something, that takes some force to get by. Then it's not as bad over the rest of the bumps humps and clumps.

Let's see if I can get those pics in here for pj_49 ...
(and these are right after the range trip, so, it's dirty)

https://i.imgur.com/AUa2C0m.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oeBGKkm.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cQBC2Ql.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gkAkx1a.jpg

·
Registered
628 Posts
Let's see if I can get those pics in here for pj_49 ...
Thank you for the great range report and photos!

Another article said there was a magazine disconnect. I see an internal vertical bar that hooks over the trigger bar. Does this hold down the trigger bar when the magazine is removed?

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Not to derail the thread, because I’m actually interested in this one too...against my better judgement, but, the easiest to rack slide I own is the P5. I know, totally different, larger, heavier, etc. But if you want to feel a smooth and easy to rack slide, try a P5.

Back to the CCP .380, I had the 9mm for a while and the ergonomics must have been designed specifically for my hand. I wanted it to be the kind of reliable my P99 is, just because it felt so good in hand. But it wasn’t. Yet, here I am again wanting it again. ::shrugs::

·
Registered
9,943 Posts

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
On the 9mm pistols it is possible to short stroke by hand cycling or while firing and have the next round be stripped from the magazine and chambered. In this situation the non caught striker follows the slide forward where the firing pin nose then rests against the live primer. Can this pistol be made to do the same? 1917

·
Registered
65 Posts
On the 9mm pistols it is possible to short stroke by hand cycling or while firing and have the next round be stripped from the magazine and chambered. In this situation the non caught striker follows the slide forward where the firing pin nose then rests against the live primer. Can this pistol be made to do the same? 1917

Is this what you're referring to? (A quick vid I just made this morning) Did I duplicate what you're asking about?

https://youtu.be/-yJ-r_ec3w8

I read your paragraph about the CCP 'bump' and I do notice that difference with the striker cocked or not. After that though, rearward travel of the slide feels like it's riding over a rough gravel driveway. I don't think I have any other pistol that has that rough of a feel to it. But, the gun works, so I'm not going to fret over it much.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts