Walther Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I shot my P99c yesterday. I almost forgot how good it's single-action trigger is.

That Walther AS system is really nice. There's really nothing else like it.

Hopefully Walther doesn't abandon the design as it's safe, clever and unique. I'd love to see the AS trigger system make a reappearance in something new.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
Same here.

Unfortunately, everyone seems to be moving away from DA/SA designs. When I purchased my first P99, I preferred pistols that have the same trigger for the first to the last shot, and still do as it is easier to train for one trigger pull than two (or three), but there was something about how the entire package was so well done with the grip and trigger, and with the shooting characteristics of the pistol in my hands, I made an exception and it turned out to be the easiest polymer pistol to shoot well with. I ended up carrying my P99 until around the time that the PPQ was released. I still think it is one of the best polymer pistols available, even 25 years after it was released. A few times I've handed my P99 to people who shot it better their first time out, than pistols that they've been shooting for years.

It is good that there are still agencies that issue the P99. If Walther still needs to make pistols and parts, then why not sell them on the civilian market? I'm not looking forward to the day when it is not available to be sold brand new, but hopefully that won't be for a while. I still think the P99 is the most underrated polymer pistol available today. It has the reliability, durability, and accuracy of its competitors matched or beaten, all while being very, very easy to shoot fast and accurately. I wouldn't have an issue having a P99 as my only pistol.

·
Administrator
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Same here.

Unfortunately, everyone seems to be moving away from DA/SA designs. When I purchased my first P99, I preferred pistols that have the same trigger for the first to the last shot, and still do as it is easier to train for one trigger pull than two (or three), but there was something about how the entire package was so well done with the grip and trigger, and with the shooting characteristics of the pistol in my hands, I made an exception and it turned out to be the easiest polymer pistol to shoot well with. I ended up carrying my P99 until around the time that the PPQ was released. I still think it is one of the best polymer pistols available, even 25 years after it was released. A few times I've handed my P99 to people who shot it better their first time out, than pistols that they've been shooting for years.

It is good that there are still agencies that issue the P99. If Walther still needs to make pistols and parts, then why not sell them on the civilian market? I'm not looking forward to the day when it is not available to be sold brand new, but hopefully that won't be for a while. I still think the P99 is the most underrated polymer pistol available today. It has the reliability, durability, and accuracy of its competitors matched or beaten, all while being very, very easy to shoot fast and accurately. I wouldn't have an issue having a P99 as my only pistol.
I agree DA/SA is out of fashion. Plus, with the trend of everything being optic-ready, the P99, with it's decocker plate on top of the slide, is challenged there as well.

Still, it's a great system and allows for an SA trigger pull far better than we typically see in other striker-fired handguns.

I think the AS would shine in a small concealment pistol. It's something that would differentiate Walther from the plethora of other small concealment pistols out there.

Unlikely yes, but a man can dream.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just don’t believe Walther is very good at listening to their core customers. They have “quadruple downed” on the PDP which is great but no updated PPK or PPS. Rereleasing the P99c would certainly sell well. My P99 AS is the sentimental favorite but my favorite range gun is my PPQ M2 9mm which makes me look like a far better marksman than I really am.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I agree DA/SA is out of fashion. Plus, with the trend of everything being optic-ready, the P99, with it's decocker plate on top of the slide, is challenged there as well.
P99 became my first handgun because of its AS trigger system. Since I didn’t start with a 1911 style manual safety background, and I don’t have enough faith in the glock/PPQ style safety (or lack of), DA/SA has become my choice except for ranges. Although by now I have dozens of handguns of all different types, I’d still grab my P99 if I can only carry one when heading out into danger.

I’ve not established that red dot is a must for me yet, although I may in the future, I got a solution already. I mounted a Q4 Tactical with a P99 striker and end cap on a P99 frame, and mounted a Holosun 507C on a CHPWS plate with integrated rear sight, and I am all done. Decocking is still available in this set up without the button, if you know how.

The weight of a P99 is compatible to a G19, and has 15+ round of capacity. The ergonomic and aesthetic still don’t have competition in its category. Combined with it’s proven combat reliability, it’s still a top choice in that role.

·
Administrator
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just don’t believe Walther is very good at listening to their core customers. They have “quadruple downed” on the PDP which is great but no updated PPK or PPS. Rereleasing the P99c would certainly sell well. My P99 AS is the sentimental favorite but my favorite range gun is my PPQ M2 9mm which makes me look like a far better marksman than I really am.
Hello Jwillis. I'm just curious. What would an updated PPK be? 🤔

·
Administrator
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
P99 became my first handgun because of its AS trigger system. Since I didn’t start with a 1911 style manual safety background, and I don’t have enough faith in the glock/PPQ style safety (or lack of), DA/SA has become my choice except for ranges. Although by now I have dozens of handguns of all different types, I’d still grab my P99 if I can only carry one when heading out into danger.

I’ve not established that red dot is a must for me yet, although I may in the future, I got a solution already. I mounted a Q4 Tactical with a P99 striker and end cap on a P99 frame, and mounted a Holosun 507C on a CHPWS plate with integrated rear sight, and I am all done. Decocking is still available in this set up without the button, if you know how.

The weight of a P99 is compatible to a G19, and has 15+ round of capacity. The ergonomic and aesthetic still don’t have competition in its category. Combined with it’s proven combat reliability, it’s still a top choice in that role.

Ok, I'll bite. How do you de-cock that thing?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Pull the slide about a half inch back. (There should be no resistance. If there is, the gun hasn’t been cocked.) You’ll know when to stop when you hit resistance. Hold the slide in that position and pull the trigger ALL THE WAY back, there will be no resistance or any wall. (If you feel resistance or hear a click, stop, you are doing it wrong). The slide will spring back into battery position. Release the trigger and you are in de-cock mode. It’s easily done than said.

(I learned this from oldfart. Do it at your own risk)

·
Administrator
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pull the slide about a half inch back. (There should be no resistance. If there is, the gun hasn’t been cocked.) You’ll know when to stop when you hit resistance. Pull the trigger all the way back, there will be no resistance or any wall. (If you feel resistance or hear a click, stop, you are doing it wrong). The slide will spring back into battery position. Release the trigger and you are in de-cock mode. It’s easily done than said.

Thanks for responding.

You are saying to pull the trigger (with the slide in a certain position) to decock the gun? What could possibly go wrong? Lol.

I can't see that as a technique I'd be comfortable with.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Let me just say that I have built up confidence in this procedure while in ranges, and I’ll not hesitate to do it when necessary outside ranges . Not telling anyone else to do it though.

The HK USP, P30, HK45 and P2000 lines of hammer fired pistols, including their compacts, have DA/SA options and are polymer frames. The decocker is either on the side (USP, HK45) or at the rear next to the hammer (P30, P2000). There are aftermarket slide cut available to mount optics. However their triggers are not as good as P99. When I don’t have my P99, I’d grab one of those.

·
Administrator
3,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Let me just say that I have built up confidence in this procedure while in ranges, and I’ll not hesitate to do it when necessary outside ranges . Not telling anyone else to do it though.

The HK USP, P30, HK45 and P2000 lines of hammer fired pistols, including their compacts, have DA/SA options and are polymer frames. The decocker is either on the side (USP, HK45) or at the rear next to the hammer (P30, P2000). There are aftermarket slide cut available to mount optics. However their triggers are not as good as P99. When I don’t have my P99, I’d grab one of those.
I agree with you about most of HK's DA/SA triggers.

I've owned a number of those guns and while the build quality was impressive, the DA/SA implementation was nowhere near as good as what the Walther P99 offers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live in Massachusetts. I like my P99 AS because unless you de-cock it, it has a much lighter trigger pull than the "Massachusetts standard" without alteration .... and it is the same trigger pull for every shot.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Exactly. I’ve seen people complaining about heavy DA trigger pull all the time. Why just not decock it??? I don’t ever decock it in range shootings. However, always decock while carry which is the whole purpose of this design. And no one will notice the difference in first shot DA or not when life is under threat.

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
I'd suggest to everyone that they do as much as they can to not break any of the rules of firearm safety. There are exceptions, but to purposefully make a striker fired pistol that you must pull the trigger to decock while also racking the slide back but not too far or far enough without a shot going off, is a huge safety issue. This has been tested. S&W made a version of the SW99 called the SW99NJ that had the DA/SA sear housing and striker but with no decocker almost 20 years ago. From what I remember, they had huge problems with this configuration, and quickly changed to another model after it was adopted.

Nobody should be making pistols from parts of other pistols in this configuration. Just because you can, does not mean that you should. Do you shoot this at a public range? Have you showed the range staff how you decock this pistol?

I don’t ever decock it in range shootings. However, always decock while carry which is the whole purpose of this design. And no one will notice the difference in first shot DA or not when life is under threat.
You should train to shoot the pistol in the same configuration as it is when you carry it. The trigger pull is heavier, and it stacks as it gets to the break point. You are responsible for every bullet that leaves that pistol, and while it isn't law that you must train to shoot, I would hope that people who carry pistols treat it as a responsibility on their part to be able to hit what they are shooting at.

If you carry it decocked, practice shooting the pistol decocked.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Have you showed the range staff how you decock this pistol?

………..

If you carry it decocked, practice shooting the pistol decocked.
I appreciate the input and don’t disagree. Safety is always rule number 1.

When I pull a trigger at any range at any time, I follow all gun safety and range safety rules, to decock or not. Don’t think I need to show the range staff.

I have dozens of pistols that I shoot, and they are different more or less. In my case, it doesn’t make too much difference if the first shot is DA or SA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I shot my p99 today for the first real time, I used it for my instructor qual shoot. 15 yards, not shooting slow 20 rounds in about a 4 inch group. It will work. I kept saying out loud, slow down scott. The guy doing the qual looked at me afterwards and went why slow down you did great. The first 10 rounds I shot thru it where just to make sure it worked, not even on paper, these 20 counted.

As a side note I just tried the "decocking", and it works, but I will stick with the button.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts